Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

EggHead

Practically Family
Sydney is short, but well made.
i think it's the colors that make some Akubras dressier. I have 4, while I like and mostly wear Silverbelly CD (custom 2.5" brim), Glen Gray is a more dressy color - it is between mid-grey and dark grey with a hint of blue.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1926 Akubra ad

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-12-03%252520at%2525202.57.43%252520AM.png

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Took some pics of my "Bushman Lite", my Mid-Brown Campdraft I got from a Lounger today. It's just a bit darker true Brown than this and I kept the C-Crown crease it came with, just flipped the brim down and steamed out the western curl the brim came with. It's got a major "tugboat" to it which I may keep as it is different than my others.

27850008.jpg

27850007.jpg

27850006.jpg

27850005.jpg

27850004.jpg

I really like this hat with this crease and you look good in it.I may have to order one in the mid brown yet!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've kept it creased this way but the only thing I'm not happy about is how it holds water from the rain more than my centerdent/front pinched creased hats do. I can tip my head forward or back and all the water runs out of the centerdent creased hat much better than it does with this hat ! :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Mail man just dropped off my latest "Akubra" from OZ on my doorstop only this one I can't wear :) I saw some pics from a book by Greenville Turner titled "Akubra is Australian for Hat" and had to have a copy! I ordered it from him in Australia and I have to say it has some phenominal photography of an amazing place! Oh, and there are LOTS of Akubra's as well :) It was expensive and you can order seperate prints of many of the photos from him as well. I'd say it is a MUST HAVE for the dedicated Akubra wearer :). Here's a link to his site and some of the images:
http://www.grenvilleturner.com/exhibitions.html
Akubra lovers need to check it out :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
Was your's signed by Greenville from that source on e-prey? Not a bad price for sure but it did not state if they were signed copies. I like getting a book signed by the author personally.

No it was not signed by the photographer. Gee, guess you "got" me there. Funny, you are reluctant to order an Akubra from Oz but a book is OK. Oh well, different strokes.................

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
No it was not signed by the photographer. Gee, guess you "got" me there. Funny, you are reluctant to order an Akubra from Oz but a book is OK. Oh well, different strokes.................

Why bother going to OZ for a hat when I can find 'em here in the states:) I got my CD from a Lounger up in NY without the "OZ wait" :) As for Greenvilles book, I had first seen one of his photos and ordered a print and then found out about the book so ordered one :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
Why bother going to OZ for a hat when I can find 'em here in the states:) I got my CD from a Lounger up in NY without the "OZ wait" :)

Ah, the dreaded "Oz wait". Last week I received two Akubras from Hats Direct, ten days from the day I ordered them. Out of my 17 Akubras, I did wait approximately two - three months for three of the hats; but I just ordered them off-season, knowing I would have them when the appropriate weather arrived.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ah, the dreaded "Oz wait". Last week I received two Akubras from Hats Direct, ten days from the day I ordered them. Out of my 17 Akubras, I did wait approximately two - three months for three of the hats; but I just ordered them off-season, knowing I would have them when the appropriate weather arrived.
Good for you :)

Stinkykid

New in Town
I finally got around to posting some pics of my Campdrafts on the Campdraft thread (link below), and here are my other Akubras - a Plainsman and a Lightning Ridge...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ra-Campdraft&p=1369425&viewfull=1#post1369425

Plainsman_01.jpg

Plainsman_02.jpg

LightningRidge_01.jpg

LightningRidge_02.jpg

I'm a Brit and I moved to Australia about six months ago. You definitely need some good hats here - especially if you're a slaphead with pale blue skin, like me :cool:

I bought an Akubra Warrego too which I'm planning to have altered with a wider ribbon, binding, and a curled brim edge. When I get it done I'll post some pics.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
I finally got around to posting some pics of my Campdrafts on the Campdraft thread (link below), and here are my other Akubras - a Plainsman and a Lightning Ridge...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ra-Campdraft&p=1369425&viewfull=1#post1369425

Plainsman_01.jpg

Plainsman_02.jpg

LightningRidge_01.jpg

LightningRidge_02.jpg

I'm a Brit and I moved to Australia about six months ago. You definitely need some good hats here - especially if you're a slaphead with pale blue skin, like me :cool:

I bought an Akubra Warrego too which I'm planning to have altered with a wider ribbon, binding, and a curled brim edge. When I get it done I'll post some pics.

Welcome, Stinkykid! I too am follically- and melanin-challenged, so I wear a lot of hats. :) I like the venting on the Plainsman -- does it seem to make a difference, or is it mainly for decoration?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo