Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Duper

Practically Family
Akubra's new Top 10 list

Akubra has updated their "News" section just recently. They have their "bread and butter" list of hats and it doesn't seem to change much. I have the Tablelands in brown olive (custom ordered with a 70mm brim) and the Traveller in sand which I trimmed the brim to 70mm myself. I like and wear them both frequently. I have four Campdrafts and I know of many other fellow Loungers with a few themselves and a number of Stylemaster and Squatter owners but they just don't seem to make the list.

TOP 10 SELLERS
October 11th, 2011

Our top selling hats at present are…
01. Cattleman
02. Rough Rider
03. Snowy River
04. Territory
05. Coober Pedy
06. Coolabah
07. The Arena
08. Bronco
09. Tablelands
10. Traveller

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody have an Akubra Overlander? It's a hat I was thinking about getting last year, and I'm still considering it. Apparently, my Stetson Open Road (the modern one) hardly fits the bill as a rough weather hat, whereas an Akubra could truly take a beating and still look good. So for a western/cowboy looking hat, I've been looking at one of the Overlanders in the sand color. I think this hat also doesn't have the holes on the side, cutting between the felt, which isn't something I'd necessarily care for in my next Akubra.

Duper, and thanks for the list, it's interesting to know what their popular models are.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Akubra has updated their "News" section just recently. They have their "bread and butter" list of hats and it doesn't seem to change much. I have the Tablelands in brown olive (custom ordered with a 70mm brim) and the Traveller in sand which I trimmed the brim to 70mm myself. I like and wear them both frequently. I have four Campdrafts and I know of many other fellow Loungers with a few themselves and a number of Stylemaster and Squatter owners but they just don't seem to make the list.

TOP 10 SELLERS
October 11th, 2011

Our top selling hats at present are…
01. Cattleman
02. Rough Rider
03. Snowy River
04. Territory
05. Coober Pedy
06. Coolabah
07. The Arena
08. Bronco
09. Tablelands
10. Traveller

No Fed IV? How sad. :(

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Thanks Duper, nice to see this "reality check" list.

We-uns talk to one another and it's natural to think we somehow represent a groundswell of interest in certain kinds of hats, or even of hats in general. Obviously not the case. I have and love an old, well-used Cattleman from Oz and it's usually what I grab if the weather is nasty but not overly windy...nothing else on that list.

This makes it an uphill climb to lobby for a blue Fed, eh mates?

- Bill

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
My daughter looks wicked cute in my Fed III ...

6284419882_78ddeba67f.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Took some pics of my "Bushman Lite", my Mid-Brown Campdraft I got from a Lounger today. It's just a bit darker true Brown than this and I kept the C-Crown crease it came with, just flipped the brim down and steamed out the western curl the brim came with. It's got a major "tugboat" to it which I may keep as it is different than my others.

27850008.jpg

27850007.jpg

27850006.jpg

27850005.jpg

27850004.jpg

tealseal

A-List Customer
Akubra questions

As promised on the "I Love the Fed IV" thread, here are my other Akubra questions. I hope this is the place to put them; moderators: please advise if inappropriate. I'm only a newbie, but have been lurking for a while and have found the guidance and advice on this board to be of the absolute highest quality.

I have, and love, my Fed IV in Tawny Fawn. Since I am so happy with my Akubra, and am of limited funds (graduate student...), here are my questions!

1) Looking for a hat that can be worn day-to-day with a suit or business casual. I know my tawny fawn Fed is good for the casual side, but I'm looking for something in a grey that will work with my 5'10" 200lbs wide-shouldered frame. Recommendations?

2) My very awesome, patient, hat-tolerant girlfriend has decided that she wants an Akubra of her own (after seeing my Fed IV!). She was looking at the Territory, but is having issues deciding between Santone Fawn and Khaki. Does anyone have a colour comparison of these two, or know of the differences?

3) She and I are seriously considering pulling the trigger on a couple of the DM reject Adventurers...anyone have any thoughts on this hat?

I know, lots of questions, promulgated by lots of lurking, so it's a bit of an opening of the floodgates and for that I apologize.

Regards to you all,
tealseal

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As promised on the "I Love the Fed IV" thread, here are my other Akubra questions. I hope this is the place to put them; moderators: please advise if inappropriate. I'm only a newbie, but have been lurking for a while and have found the guidance and advice on this board to be of the absolute highest quality.

I have, and love, my Fed IV in Tawny Fawn. Since I am so happy with my Akubra, and am of limited funds (graduate student...), here are my questions!

1) Looking for a hat that can be worn day-to-day with a suit or business casual. I know my tawny fawn Fed is good for the casual side, but I'm looking for something in a grey that will work with my 5'10" 200lbs wide-shouldered frame. Recommendations?

2) My very awesome, patient, hat-tolerant girlfriend has decided that she wants an Akubra of her own (after seeing my Fed IV!). She was looking at the Territory, but is having issues deciding between Santone Fawn and Khaki. Does anyone have a colour comparison of these two, or know of the differences?

3) She and I are seriously considering pulling the trigger on a couple of the DM reject Adventurers...anyone have any thoughts on this hat?

4) As a follow-up to question 3, how does one convince their partner that they would look fabulous in an "Indy hat?" I know the GF could wear a Raiders bash better than I, but am having the hardest time convincing her of this undeniable fact.

I know, lots of questions, promulgated by lots of lurking, so it's a bit of an opening of the floodgates and for that I apologize.

Regards to you all,
tealseal

Since you are a convinced Akubra owner ( welcome to the club BTW :) ) and I've worn 'em for over 30 years now I'll give you my opinions about your questions. You need to provide the ANSWERS.
#1. I'm 2" taller than you and a few #s heavier and own and wear both a DM Stylemaster in Carbon Grey and a Sydney in Charcoal grey for my "dress" hats. They both work well with a suit or jacket and slacks.
#2.What's her hair color? the Fawn is lighter and depending on the colors she wears might work with more. But let HER decide :)
#3. They are Akubra's and are meant as "Indy" style hats. 'Nuff said :)
#4 DO NOT TRY TO CONVINCE her. You DON"T want to try that !! Let her decide. If you try, it can snap back and bite you :)
Now get busy and order some hats :)

Last edited:

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family

4) As a follow-up to question 3, how does one convince their partner that they would look fabulous in an "Indy hat?" I know the GF could wear a Raiders bash better than I, but am having the hardest time convincing her of this undeniable fact.

Regards to you all,
tealseal

I have a carbon grey Fed IV and it's dressy. Dressier than the Squatter or Camp Draft, IMO. If the GF doesn't feel she'd look good in the hat, she may not feel good in the hat.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Since you are a convinced Akubra owner ( welcome to the club BTW :) ) and I've worn 'em for over 30 years now I'll give you my opinions about your questions. You need to provide the ANSWERS.
#1. I'm 2" taller than you and a few #s heavier and own and wear both a DM Stylemaster in Carbon Grey and a Sydney in Charcoal grey for my "dress" hats. They both work well with a suit or jacket and slacks.
#2.What's her hair color? the Fawn is lighter and depending on the colors she wears might work with more. But let HER decide :)
#3. They are Akubra's and are meant as "Indy" style hats. 'Nuff said :)
#4 DO NOT TRY TO CONVINCE her. You DON"T want to try that !! Let her decide. If you try, it can snap back and bite you :)
Now get busy and order some hats :)

Thanks for the tips, monbla. I'll look into the stylemaster and sydney. I've been hesitant on them because I'm worried they might be too short for my head and I'll have a problem like I have with my saxon, but I haven't put a lot of research into either of those akubras. I won't be doing any hard-pressing convincing, but I know everyone needs a bit of motivation to take the plunge for a tall, untapered crown....I know I did and it was totally worth it. I think I might go for one of the adventurers, even though I need another brown hat like a hole in the head.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My first Akubra hat...the Pilbara. Akubra definitely seems to offer good value and I think I might buy a camp draft next...or maybe a Fed IV. I bought this one for its superior protection from sun and precipitation.

IMGP0477 by srserl, on Flickr

IMGP0476 by srserl, on Flickr

That Pilbara looks good on ya !! Welcome to the Akubra club! They are great hats and truly a great value in a production made hat today! I've been wearing 'em for over 30 years now and really haven't found a bad one yet :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo