Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

jbucklin

Practically Family
Is it not more like this?
902ad036a.jpg

The image had a yellowish tint so I tweeked it a bit.

Best regards,
Gummy :)

That's perfect!

Landman

One Too Many
In the future, we should probably not do that lol.

Do you mean post the link to the auction? If so, the only reason I did it was because it had a "Buy It Now" price and I wanted a lounger to get it before somebody else did. I wouldn't have done it if it was a regular auction. If I broke any rules I apologize.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't worry about it. I'll have to apologize myself 'cause I didn't see that it had a BIN option. Don't I feel silly :).

Forget what I said. I'd retroactively delete but it's already been quoted lol.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Yarbles!

No rules breached.

Landman- no harm, no foul.

Thanks Rick. I'm still pretty new around here and wasn't sure.

I can see keeping quite on a regular auction so maybe somebody can sneak up on it but I thought since it had a reasonable "Buy It Now" price that somebody was going to jump on it couldn't hurt.

Neophyte, no problem. Apology accepted.

Landman

One Too Many
This may have already been asked and answered but I can't find it doing a search. If it has I apologize for asking again.

I have a book on Akubra hats and it has a lot of pictures of Australians wearing their Akubras. I noticed that they wear felt hats year around including the hottest part of the summer. It also seems that they like to wear darker colored hats even in the hot weather. Is there some reason for this or is it just tradition? I know here in South Texas when it gets hot you won't see many felt hats just straws.

Landman

One Too Many
They breed us tough.

I definitely got that impression from the pictures! You make a fine hat too.

To be honest, I don't wear straws much either, not because I'm tough, I just prefer the feel of a felt hat. What would you consider the best Akubra felt for wearing in hot weather?

tealseal

A-List Customer
I definitely got that impression from the pictures! You make a fine hat too.

To be honest, I don't wear straws much either, not because I'm tough, I just prefer the feel of a felt hat. What would you consider the best Akubra felt for wearing in hot weather?

I'd go for the Campdraft. I recently acquired one, and it's my daily driver here in AZ. Good crown height and nice big brim for sun protection.
The discussion on felt and heat has its own thread. What it boils down to is humidity. In the Australian desert, during the dry season the relative humidity average is (according to very quick googling) about 30%. Texas' average comes in quite a bit higher. I'm with you on the felt > straw preference; I just have never found straw hats comfortable. Plus, if you spend a lot of time in the sun, you'll want something that will protect you from burning! Akubra's UPF 50 rating on their felts speaks for itself in this regard.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Finally getting around to posting my 'new' Stylemaster. I love it. Now if only it came in a good fawn or light tan . . .
That's a swell looking hat, Oldsarge! I also really enjoy the rest of your ensemble. What, if you'll pardon my asking, is the watch?
Have you considered the Acorn colour for the Stylemaster? I'm not sure if it'll meet your fawn/light tan criteria, but it's certainly not brown.
All the best,
TS

tealseal

A-List Customer
Fancy in Acorn?!

Is anyone whose face can fit the Akubra Homburg going to take the plunge on the Homburg in Acorn Fawn? I'd be tempted, but I can't determine the proportions, and it doesn't look like it would work for me. However, a homburg in that colour looks like it would be real swell!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner