Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

job

One Too Many
I've been into hats for a few years now and I have several Akubras and I can't believe I'm just now getting a Campdraft. The Fed IV and the Campdraft have to be some of the best production hats made today. Now I have both.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
What are the chances of this happening? I've always worn western style akubras, but am turned off the style by modern country music artists and the bogans that listen to that kind of music. Decided to order an Akubra Adventurer (the Australian one) from Everything Australian. Chose the Regency Fawn size 60, three month wait. So half an hour later I am perusing ebay and what pops up - an Akubra Adventurer size 60 Regency Fawn pre-owned but used for display only and as new! Ended up winning it for $48 plus $18 postage. So now I will have two, when I've never worn a fedora before.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I've read the first half of this thread, about how great value Akubras are because of the exchange rate. Times have changed. Has this turned people off Akubras in the states? Are they still considered a good purchase?

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Being a farmer, I'm actually not a big fan of the strength of our dollar. It's not sustainable anyway - retail and manufacture is going down the tube here. If the mining boom collapses, I don't think there is anything to back up the dollar. Good that you are still buying Akubras; hopefully one Australian company that will stay in business. We balk at the prices of akubras here, but it makes me realise what good value they are.

Landman

One Too Many
Akubra's are great hats. I don't see the Adventurer on Everything Australian's website though. However, since it is on order and you have since found one, maybe you can call them and change your order to another style hat so you don't have two of the same. I especially like Akubra's Campdraft and so do a lot of other members here on the lounge.

Edit: I found the Adventurer on the site. I don't know how I missed that. Nice looking hat. The Campdraft is $10.00 AU cheaper and the Bluegrass Green is in stock.

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Akubra's are great hats. I don't see the Adventurer on Everything Australian's website though. However, since it is on order and you have since found one, maybe you can call them and change your order to another style hat so you don't have two of the same. I especially like Akubra's Campdraft and so do a lot of other members here on the lounge.

Edit: I found the Adventurer on the site. I don't know how I missed that. Nice looking hat. The Campdraft is $10.00 AU cheaper and the Bluegrass Green is in stock.

Actually, that is a brilliant idea! Thanks for that. I've seen the campdraft in town - selling for about $30 more.

Oh, the Adventurer seems very similar to the Fed IV. I hadn't seen the hats direct site. FED IV comes in more colours. I used to wear a brown Akubra Cowboy (discontinued) and that mid brown works very well for me. I have a black Arena at the moment that is very hot to wear, but stays on my head better than any other Akubra I've owned. I always preferred downwards brims at the front and back, but that cowboy curve up at the sides I think creates a downward aerfoil... which I guess is why cowboys wear them like that.

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
207501_5054872956_4983_n.jpg
Me in an Akubra Cowboy a couple of decades past. I really loved these hats, great colour and hardly ever saw anyone else wearing them. As you can see I wore these hats to death... my friends scribbled all over it at a party.

Landman

One Too Many
If you have never owned one I think you will like a Campdraft. A very versatile hat that looks good in the city or out in the country.

I ordered a Boss of the Plains from Everything Australian a few months ago. I haven't received it yet though. It is still on backorder. Based on the picture of it, that is what we would call a western hat here in Texas.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
A shot with my second Akubra Cowboy... as you can see, it's newer. I think this is a Western Style hat that works as well for a non-western, casual or urban look - I think you could even wear it with a pair of trainers if you wanted to. Don't know why, but it seems to have a more versatile look than the aerofoil brim type western hats

316870_10150366272377957_25440080_n.jpg

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
If you have never owned one I think you will like a Campdraft. A very versatile hat that looks good in the city or out in the country.

I ordered a Boss of the Plains from Everything Australian a few months ago. I haven't received it yet though. It is still on backorder. Based on the picture of it, that is what we would call a western hat here in Texas.

I think the Boss of the Plains hats were the mother of all Western and Country hats. I think with the Campdraft (Stetson Open Road), the Boss of the Plains made under license was the style of hat that gave birth to the later Western and Country style hats by Akubra. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Boss of the Plains is the one hat that both Stetson and Akubra call the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner