Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
I'm watching one on eBay at the moment .. I've had some great bargains there !
I'm originally from the North of England where the flat cap rules .. But when I was a boy I always dreamed of being a cowboy not a sheep farmer ...

Orangegrad

Practically Family
One color fedora I do not own is black. For various reasons I haven't felt comfortable wearing that particular color. But I've seen a number of folks look very good in a variety of black fedoras. One I have not seen is a black Fed. If anyone has a black Fed, I'd appreciate any photos you could share. I have enough brown and gray fedoras right now - so I'm thinking something different.

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
Hatsdirect has a limited number of Stylemasters in bluegrass. It's not on their website so you have to email them. I just picked up the 59, which ran a bit big compared to my Fed IV, Campdraft and Sydney.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
My first trip to the outback was a few years ago, when I purchased my first Akubra for the trip- an immaculate Rough Rider! I made it to Alice springs, where one of our party ( a salty old cotton farming dude) whipped the hat off my head, ripped out the lush red satin lining, then proceeded to place the hat on the floor with his foot inside it, and scrub the red dirt ! Apparently I was presentable and ready for the rest of the trip after that ..

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've received my Akubra Capricorn in hemp. Nice-looking, though I'll need to put some padding in it, and the brim is not really a snap brim. Is it possible to steam and shape the brim of a hemp hat as you would a Panama? Steam, distilled water?

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
On a similar note..

My heritage Banjo Paterson arrived today.. Very excited, but the first thing I find myself doing is re-shaping to give an up sweep on the brim! Is it poor form to do this so soon?

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
First attempt at loading a photo .. Akubra factory

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,453

elveston

Familiar Face
My heritage Banjo Paterson arrived today.. Very excited, but the first thing I find myself doing is re-shaping to give an up sweep on the brim! Is it poor form to do this so soon?

I immediately trim 1/4 inch off my Heritage Lawsons. The first cut is hard, but the end result is better for me.

Duper

Practically Family
From a recent news article found here > http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2013/5/2/family-business/family-biz-keir-hat

These days Akubra Hats goes through 30,000 rabbits per week. I’ll just repeat that: 30,000 rabbits per week! Makes you wonder how come there are still rabbits running around, but there are – plenty of the little buggers. The Keirs are doing their bit for the environment.

From those 1.5 million rabbits a year, Akubra makes about 150,000 hats. The company has just won an increase in its Defence Department contract from 30 to 70 per cent of the Army’s slouch hats – 12,000 hats a year for five years.

Now Steve IV is thinking about where to take the company next. Should he make other kinds of hats apart from the standard, iconic, Akubra hat? Perhaps the Akubra beret, beanie or boater? Or maybe the Akubra fedora, fez or flat cap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran