Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
We've gotten a ton of rain here in east Iowa and a lot more to come. My Silver Spur has been doing a fine job shedding the heavy rain and hail. No shrinkage at all since it's initial "shrink to fit", no taper whatsoever. I will absolutely buy another. It's nice to have a hat that just seems to laugh at downpours.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Just joined the Lounge guys, and living here in Sydney was overjoyed to see the Akubra love! I have been lucky enough to have visited the factory in Kempsey, and have started a collection ranging from Hamptons to Rough Riders with a couple on between!
Best hats ever!?

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Just joined the Lounge guys, and living here in Sydney was overjoyed to see the Akubra love! I have been lucky enough to have visited the factory in Kempsey, and have started a collection ranging from Hamptons to Rough Riders with a couple on between!
Best hats ever!?

Also - happy to post some photos of the factory hard at work if there is any interest?

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Am trying...

Ok - let me see if I can master this loading things up... Ok - just tried, and I dont have permission as yet... happy to email a photo to someone to load up? or we can just wait till admin gives me permission..

Last edited:

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Welcome to the lounge nigeloscar!! You will enjoy participating in the discussions here and you'll certainly learn a lot, I have!! Everybody here is very helpful and they have a ton of knowledge they're willing to share. Like these other guys, I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures! Good to have another Akubra fan join in the fun with us!!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I'm really enjoying my new Banjo Paterson. I can see how it would provide very good sun protection in the summer. But it's still fairly cool here in Cleveland. For those of you who live in Australia, do you really wear your felt Akubras in the summer? Or for that matter, for those of you who live in warm climates, do you folks wear your Akubras in the summer? All that great sun protection...but in a felt hat.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
I'm really enjoying my new Banjo Paterson. I can see how it would provide very good sun protection in the summer. But it's still fairly cool here in Cleveland. For those of you who live in Australia, do you really wear your felt Akubras in the summer? Or for that matter, for those of you who live in warm climates, do you folks wear your Akubras in the summer? All that great sun protection...but in a felt hat.
I really love the Banjo Patterson! I always feel buying the Heritage collection is like buying an Aston Martin over a standard Jaguar ..
The Akubra really is an icon in the country here though .. City slickers still prefer their baseball caps, whilst in the real heat of Oz, the Akubra hats take some beating .. One of my cattle farming friends only wears his for 'best' however and insists on a cheaper straw alternative for hard labour ! And right now as I write this, I can hear the rain hammering down in Sydney, I can't wait to go out because my rough rider is better than any brolly!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I really love the Banjo Patterson! I always feel buying the Heritage collection is like buying an Aston Martin over a standard Jaguar ..
The Akubra really is an icon in the country here though .. City slickers still prefer their baseball caps, whilst in the real heat of Oz, the Akubra hats take some beating .. One of my cattle farming friends only wears his for 'best' however and insists on a cheaper straw alternative for hard labour ! And right now as I write this, I can hear the rain hammering down in Sydney, I can't wait to go out because my rough rider is better than any brolly!

This is my second Akubra - the first being a Stylemaster. The Heritage felt and sweat are better than on the lower end Akubras - and those are just fine themselves. I'll give this a bit of a workout in some moderate heat and see how it does. I'm not a huge fan of straw hats, though I have several. Amazing how lightweight this BP is - even with the very dense materials that it's made from.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
I have a stylemaster too, but it often misses out in favour of my Hampton! When I finally load up the photos of the factory you will see the amazing process of where these enormous felt cone shaped things get shrunk down to the stiffest smurf like hats. Blew my mind (and my senses - the smell of rabbit pelt being soaked in a factory struggling with 35 degree heat was something else! I feel the same about straws.. I have a couple but am happy to sweat it out in my rabbit pelts ..

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I have a stylemaster too, but it often misses out in favour of my Hampton! When I finally load up the photos of the factory you will see the amazing process of where these enormous felt cone shaped things get shrunk down to the stiffest smurf like hats. Blew my mind (and my senses - the smell of rabbit pelt being soaked in a factory struggling with 35 degree heat was something else! I feel the same about straws.. I have a couple but am happy to sweat it out in my rabbit pelts ..

Definitely looking forward to your being able to post some photos.

Here in the States we have a number of scientific shows that I enjoy watching - various science channels - though I'm not a scientist at all. One of the shows I enjoy viewing is a series where they show how modern cities are built. One of the shows discussed Sydney. Amazing city. And of course, I noticed one fellow wearing a Banjo Paterson and another a Cattleman.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I love my Banjo (that's it in my avatar). I had the brim trimmed to 2 1/2 inches, replaced the leather band with a ribbon and had vent grommets put into it. I'll see how it fares in the hot part of summer.

Duper

Practically Family
A Banjo Paterson was the first Akubra I ordered and it is a fine hat. I wish they had had more colour options. I need to get it back in circulation. I have a Tablelands with a reduced brim (2 3/4 inch) and I love the morphing green colour. I actually am a fan of the grommets on those hot summer days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925