Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I just want to make sure the hat does not taper at th the sight of clouds. I plan on putting this hat to some use and am look ing for longevity. Thanks for all the very insightful input on the Akubras!

Akubras are probably the toughest production hat in existence today. I grab my Fed IV as a rain hat without hesitation. I've had it for a few years now and it's still not in need of a re-block.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Another comment on size. I was just in a shop that had Snowy River's in sizes 71/8 and 71/4. The smaller size fit pretty well but might have been a bit small on me. The 71/4 was a little large and I could feel the crown touching the top of my head. I want to order a Camp Draft and from what I have read on this thread, I feel I should order the 71/4 as it should conform to my head after a while. Is this a correct assumption?

It's been my experience that Akubras shrink to fit. I would go up.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I leave mine in my car in the summer for a few hours. Size 60 shrinks to a nice fitting 59 after a while. Then they stop shrinking. I need to leave my hats in my car from time to time, for work reasons, and a hat that fits to start will be tight after time in the heat. My 60's can now be left in a hot car and still fit perfectly. This goes against most hat care tips but it works for me.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
My apologies if this has already been posted somewhere... could someone post a picture showing a Carbon Grey Akubra next to a Moonstone hat? I'm curious to see how they compare. I've heard that Carbon Grey is darker than it appears, almost bordering on black. I'm looking into a Stylemaster and was leaning toward Carbon Grey, but don't want to go too dark.

Thanks!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Carbon grey is darker than moonstone, but nowhere near black. I'm quite sure you'll find suitable pictures if you just browse this thread. Your question has come up before.

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Another comment on size. I was just in a shop that had Snowy River's in sizes 71/8 and 71/4. The smaller size fit pretty well but might have been a bit small on me. The 71/4 was a little large and I could feel the crown touching the top of my head. I want to order a Camp Draft and from what I have read on this thread, I feel I should order the 71/4 as it should conform to my head after a while. Is this a correct assumption?

I'm in between a 56 and 57, but much closer to 56. The folks at Everything Australian, from whom I purchased my Squatter, unhesitatingly advised that I order the 57, which I did. They were right. When brand new, I used a small amount of foam sizing tape, but within a matter of weeks the 57 shrunk down to fit my 56(+) head perfectly. I think you'll find "when in doubt, order up" to be the nearly universal advice on the FL Akubra threads.

philosophy101

A-List Customer
I just want to make sure the hat does not taper at th the sight of clouds. I plan on putting this hat to some use and am look ing for longevity. Thanks for all the very insightful input on the Akubras!

My Akubra Squatter is my go-to storm hat. I've worn it for extended periods of time in the most torrential downpours. Hasn't harmed it a bit.

Personally I like some taper, and WISH it were the case that getting my Squatter soaked would cause the crown to taper ... but it hasn't! (At least not to any degree that I can see.)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Akubra Squatter is my go-to storm hat. I've worn it for extended periods of time in the most torrential downpours. Hasn't harmed it a bit.

Personally I like some taper, and WISH it were the case that getting my Squatter soaked would cause the crown to taper ... but it hasn't! (At least not to any degree that I can see.)
Is that heritage felt or imperial?

Rogera

I'm in between a 56 and 57, but much closer to 56. The folks at Everything Australian, from whom I purchased my Squatter, unhesitatingly advised that I order the 57, which I did. They were right. When brand new, I used a small amount of foam sizing tape, but within a matter of weeks the 57 shrunk down to fit my 56(+) head perfectly. I think you'll find "when in doubt, order up" to be the nearly universal advice on the FL Akubra threads.
I typically order a 7 1/8 which fits a little big and the metric equivalent is
a 57. I am thinking I need a 57 for the campdraft. Any advice?

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok just got home and creased my campdraft. I am a small 7 1/2 and the 60 is loose. I beklieve fellow loungers when they say it will shrink a tad. Sorry the photos arent great tomorrow I will get some outside. Here they are
1987ab04233bed6dd97c6e05042baa47.jpg
42db47555b8588c9e5c3feabbb685396.jpg
c8d81496e5fd031807adbc7b4f5abafe.jpg
54428ef700ef6e876b419c6397359c22.jpg
82f2ec67deee411eb813f1464ae01395.jpg

mando

New in Town
I typically order a 7 1/8 which fits a little big and the metric equivalent is
a 57. I am thinking I need a 57 for the campdraft. Any advice?
Hello Rogera , I'm a 57 / 71/8 and I found the campdraft on the big side. I had to wet the sweatband and the felt a couple times to get it to fit and still ended up putting some filler strips to get it to fit. If I had it to do over I would have gotten the 56. I went by the squatter I got from david morgan in a 57 and it fit perfect. So it seems the campdraft does run a little big. I don't know why, there all from the same co.

Rogera

Thanks mando that helps a lot. To me sizing is the biggest problem with ordering over the internet. I have also read that the campdrafts run a little big. hmmmmmm.

danofarlington

So we've got Akubras that run too big, and others that run too small. That's just like every other hat company (Borsalino is egregiously so). All individual hats in a production line probably have a "true size" distribution bell curve. It would probably be just too expensive to manufacture very exact hat sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner