Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I noticed they are quite a bit cheaper from overseas. On Everything Australian the Campdraft is less than $100!
I just bought a campdraft from everything Australia. It cost like 95 dollars. Paid 30 to express ship it and it took 9 days total for it to arrive. I will post pics when I arrive home from vacation

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just bought a campdraft from everything Australia. It cost like 95 dollars. Paid 30 to express ship it and it took 9 days total for it to arrive. I will post pics when I arrive home from vacation
Did you get the green one? I think that is the only one in stock there. If it is the same green as my stylemaster is is awesome!

Landman

One Too Many
We don't get much rain in west Texas but if I do get caught out in some its nice to know I won't have to worry too much.

You can't beat an Akubra for when it rains. Mine even seem to get better after being in a few rains.

Like Tom said, the Campdraft's and Fed IV's don't have any taper but the Stylemasters do.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Rabbit and wild hare. Beaver is only better when Akubra is not in the picture. (true for modern hats only) Akubra felt is better than other rabbit hats and even modern pure beaver hats in my opinion. They dont feel as nice but they hold up as good or better.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
If I wear a 7 3/8 LO in a Stetson hat, what size would I order for an Akubra?

Not sure I'm the right person but I wear a 7 1/8 LO in my regular westerns,straw or felt and my Snowy is a 56 non LO which fits a bit tighter but when I say just a bit not even a full size.Hope this will give you some insight. I'd get more info from some of the other more knowledgeable gents 1st.Good luck.Just been reading more of this thread and it looks as the general consensus is that their sizes run a little larger than what you would normally wear but they do conform to your head fairly well so your 7 3/8 would be a 59

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
If I wear a 7 3/8 LO in a Stetson hat, what size would I order for an Akubra?

I'm about the same size and a size 59 in the Campdraft should work perfect for you. However, I ordered a Fed IV the other day in size 59 from HatsDirect and before they sent it to me one of the girls that works there emailed me and said the Fed IV runs a little smaller and recommended I get a size 60. I did and the fit is perfect. The customer service at HatsDirect is hard to beat. She saved me from buying a hat too small without me asking and could tell it was going to be too small just from my previous orders. Very nice people there.

Rogera

You can't beat an Akubra for when it rains. Mine even seem to get better after being in a few rains.

Like Tom said, the Campdraft's and Fed IV's don't have any taper but the Stylemasters do.
Does the imperial felt taper after getting wet?

Rogera

All fur felt will "taper" with enough exposure to water. It is trying to return to the initial cone shape of the felt body.
Some take longer & more water than others....that is why hats were & are reblocked from time to time....part of the maintenance program...
I just want to make sure the hat does not taper at th the sight of clouds. I plan on putting this hat to some use and am look ing for longevity. Thanks for all the very insightful input on the Akubras!

Buzp

New in Town
Another comment on size. I was just in a shop that had Snowy River's in sizes 71/8 and 71/4. The smaller size fit pretty well but might have been a bit small on me. The 71/4 was a little large and I could feel the crown touching the top of my head. I want to order a Camp Draft and from what I have read on this thread, I feel I should order the 71/4 as it should conform to my head after a while. Is this a correct assumption?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner