Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I ordered my BGCD a week ago tomorrow (3-4 day delivery). It's probably sitting ln LAX customs. D---ed overpaid wage-apes!

Got my Silverbelly Camp Draft today and I'm liking it. Simple shallow center crease with a soft pinch. Came in in a very light sandstone color w very little "silver." Stiffest brim since my Stetson Brewster. Has anybody else noticed that?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got my Bluegrass Campdraft half an hour ago. Now I see what everyone's been talking about. What a cool hat! It's a tiny bit big, but, from what I understand from you guys, it'll eventually settle down. Love this thing. BTW, it took exactly one week, not bad considering the holiday (and I'm sorry for what I said about our fine customs representatives).

jmclfrsh

New in Town
Personally I am a big, big fan of bluegrass green. Awesome color and extremely versatile. It is a green but a grey green

I'm about to pull the trigger on a bluegrass green Cattleman. Might even grab a Coober Pedy in the same color from EA since it takes 3-4 months to get one. Might as well get both, it's one of my favorite colors.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Got my Silverbelly Camp Draft today and I'm liking it. Simple shallow center crease with a soft pinch. Came in in a very light sandstone color w very little "silver." Stiffest brim since my Stetson Brewster. Has anybody else noticed that?

Akubra brims can be a tad stiff but I like em that way and once steamed it will do what you want it to

Just got my Bluegrass Campdraft half an hour ago...It's a tiny bit big, but, from what I understand from you guys, it'll eventually settle down...
The sweatbands on all four of my Akubra hats shrunk a full centimeter (give or take a millimeter) before they were through shrinking, so, yes, it will become more snug as you wear it. If it gets to be a little too snug for your tastes, you can use a hat jack to stretch it back out a little.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The sweatbands on all four of my Akubra hats shrunk a full centimeter (give or take a millimeter) before they were through shrinking, so, yes, it will become more snug as you wear it. If it gets to be a little too snug for your tastes, you can use a hat jack to stretch it back out a little.

I'm a solid 7 1/4. My Campdraft fit perfectly right outta the box. Hope it doesn't shrink.

tropicalbob

Thanks, Zombie. What is it that causes the shrinkage? I'd imagine it's sweat that shrinks the leather. If so, I'm supposed to go fishing down in the Keys this weekend on a friend's boat, so maybe I'll see a bit of shrinkage after that. Til then, I stuck a piece of paper towel down the back that seems to be doing the job.

frussell

One Too Many
I got a Bushman delivered today in my usual Akubra size, 63. Too tight, gotta send it back to the Bluewater Group. First time an Akubra's been off for me. I even tried on my BG Campdraft and Fed IV, in the same size, just to make sure I wasn't swelled up or something. Nope, just too tight. Too bad, great hat, and they don't offer it in 64. I won't pay the David Morgan price, so it looks like I'm back to waiting on my Campdraft from EA in a few months. Frank.

Thanks, Zombie. What is it that causes the shrinkage? I'd imagine it's sweat that shrinks the leather...
Yes, as I understand it (and I could be wrong) perspiration dehydrates the leather, which causes it to shrink. Akubra knows this and manufactures their hats with the knowledge that this shrinkage will occur, which is why their hats are usually a little oversized before they're worn a few times.

That being said, sizing is apparently more "art" than "science" at Akubra. I've read a number of posts here on The Lounge in which members have commented about receiving hats that were the same size but fit differently (i.e., a little looser or a little more snug) out of the box. I've experienced this myself--my two Fed IVs were very loose when I received them, but shrunk down to what I consider to be a perfect fit. But my two Campdrafts were only a little loose when I received them, and after they'd shrunk down they were too snug and I had to use a Hat Jack to stretch them out again. But all four hats are size 60. [huh]

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I ordered my BGCD a week ago tomorrow (3-4 day delivery). It's probably sitting ln LAX customs. D---ed overpaid wage-apes!

Did exactly the same. Wed nite Sam quickly had it out Thur a.m. Dont really see the point in xpress delivery when it sits in customs for a week... My last reg shipping from Sam got to LA Customs in less then 3days and sat there for a week.

tropicalbob

Zombie and Bob -- I think it comes down, in both the cases of fit and delivery, to the fact that we're ordering stuff sight unseen over the internet: "Ya pays yer money...." It's also a good thing that Akubra is considerate enough, and cares enough, about their customers to make their hats just a bit large, knowing the leather's going to shrink. Also, Sam at EA certainly does a great job.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Zombie and Bob -- I think it comes down, in both the cases of fit and delivery, to the fact that we're ordering stuff sight unseen over the internet: "Ya pays yer money...." It's also a good thing that Akubra is considerate enough, and cares enough, about their customers to make their hats just a bit large, knowing the leather's going to shrink. Also, Sam at EA certainly does a great job.

It's refreshing!

Just to be clear, I have no complaints whatsoever about the hats or the service I've received from both Everything Australian and Hats Direct/The Hattery. I was only making an observation that I have four Akubra hats that are all labeled as being the same size, two of which fit one way and two of which fit another way. I know there are any number of variables involved in the manufacture of clothing items so I wasn't too surprised, and if the size issue had posed a problem I feel confident that either company would have worked with me to resolve it. I'm a very satisfied customer, and won't hesitate to order another Akubra from Everything Australian or Hats Direct when the time comes.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Mine also. I do expect greater variences within different styles in the brand (my experience w Stetson) but not too such a degree with the same hat in a different color. I only own one Campdraft but another is coming soon. We'll see...

...I do expect greater variences within different styles in the brand (my experience w Stetson) but not too such a degree with the same hat in a different color...
And that's exactly what I experienced. Both of my Fed IVs fit the same way, and both of my Campdrafts fit the same way, so I assumed the difference was attributed to the manner in which the hat bodies were shaped into the two different styles. And since the difference was only approximately half a size, the simplest "remedy" was to use a Hat Jack on the Campdrafts to stretch them out again and gain that extra .5 centimeter of comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy