Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Recently got my Fed in Imperial Quality. Very dense and stiff. I'd recommend the Deluxe.

Bob, do you have any Deluxe Akubras (Heritage Quality)? Of my two Akubras (CD and Fedora), the Fedora feels softer than the CD. Perhaps it's a matter of stiffener, IDK, but the Fedora just seems like it has a nicer "hand." Both are Imperial Quality.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob, do you have any Deluxe Akubras (Heritage Quality)? Of my two Akubras (CD and Fedora), the Fedora feels softer than the CD. Perhaps it's a matter of stiffener, IDK, but the Fedora just seems like it has a nicer "hand." Both are Imperial Quality.
Yes Fruno. Got one Fed Deluxe. Smoother and softer, less stiff than my Imperial grades.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Knotten

Practically Family
Fruno, I have made the same observation. I have the Fedora, marketed in the U.S. as the Sydney, and it has the softest hand of any of my hats, new or vintage. I find myself taking it off just to touch it. I've often wondered why it's so soft and my CD is so stiff and yet they're both the same grade. I want to get a Fed IV, but have been wondering whether the Deluxe is worth the extra money.

RJR

New Fed IV in moonstone
IMG_0963.JPG

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
RJR, that Moonstone Fed is nicely shaped . . . but in the pic it comes off looking like my carbon gray. Is it lighter outdoors, or has Akubra changed the felt color palette?

Fruno, I have made the same observation. I have the Fedora, marketed in the U.S. as the Sydney, and it has the softest hand of any of my hats, new or vintage. I find myself taking it off just to touch it. I've often wondered why it's so soft and my CD is so stiff and yet they're both the same grade. I want to get a Fed IV, but have been wondering whether the Deluxe is worth the extra money.

Indeed. Easily one of my better new hat purchases. Those Fedoras/Sydneys don't get enough love around here.

RJR

The moonstone color is much darker than the pic shows.I'm working on a new pc and haven't learned enough to correct it yet.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I believe its $30 or $40 well spent.

I would say it's probably the amount of stiffener they used on that particular hat. When I received my Taupe Fawn Campdraft it was so stiff that it took some effort just to snap the front of the brim down, the crown wouldn't allow me to dry crease it without popping back to open crown, and it really felt like slightly fuzzy cardboard. Now that I've handled it and worn it and shaped it a few times it has softened a little, but it's still quite a bit stiffer than any of my other Imperial Quality Akubras were right out of the box.

I do have one Heritage Quality Akubra, a Fed IV in Moonstone Gray. It was sent to me by accident, as I had ordered an Imperial Quality Fed IV, but I reported the error to Hats Direct and they told me to "please accept this upgrade from us without further charge." Initially I didn't see much advantage in spending extra for the Heritage Quality--the finish was about the same as my Imperial Quality hats, the ribbon was the same, and the sweatband was maybe a little softer, but not by much. But now that I've had time to live with the hat for a while, there does appear to be a definite difference to the quality of the felt. It doesn't look or feel particularly different, and it's no thicker or thinner than the Imperial Quality felt, but there's something about it that just seems more...substantial...as though, under equal circumstances, this hat would outlast the others. Whether that's worth the extra money I can't say--I honestly think that comes down to personal preference--but when/if I purchase another Akubra I would definitely give the Heritage Quality hats more consideration than I would have in the past.

The moonstone color is much darker than the pic shows.I'm working on a new pc and haven't learned enough to correct it yet.
If it's even darker in person than it is in the photo you posted, I'd guess they sent you a Carbon Gray hat by mistake. Here's my Moonstone Gray Fed IV that I mentioned above...

MG_Fed_IV_01_zpsensxqqhw.jpg

...and even in more subdued indoor lighting it has never looked as dark as yours does in the photo you posted.

Zombie, that Whiskey custom is one outstanding hat. Everything about it says "Gotta get one."
Thank you Sir! I'd like to take credit for it, but all I did was pay. :D The real credit goes to Tim Mahovich, who goes by "Cane Rod Maker" here on The Lounge. More of his excellent work can be seen in this thread, and the specifics of my hat can be seen in this post. Unfortunately, according to a post I read on Facebook recently it appears he has stopped making hats, at least temporarily. I hope he gets back into it, because he definitely has talent and is ridiculously easy to work with.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zombie, thanks for your response. I've been admiring that hat for some time but was a little confused as to Cane Rod Maker's current output.Thanks for clearing that up. I'm wondering if any of the other custom guys have a comparable felt in just that color. It has a deep golden tone to it that's really distinctive. Love to see it with a dark green band.

Zombie, thanks for your response. I've been admiring that hat for some time but was a little confused as to Cane Rod Maker's current output.Thanks for clearing that up. I'm wondering if any of the other custom guys have a comparable felt in just that color. It has a deep golden tone to it that's really distinctive. Love to see it with a dark green band.
Did you say dark green?

CRM_36_01_Green_zpsxx24kuol.jpg

Or maybe something a bit lighter?

CRM_36_01_Lighter_Green_zpskgji021l.jpg

Or blue?

CRM_36_01_Blue_zpskhprz7i0.jpg

Or maybe basic black?

CRM_36_01_Black_zpsfhig8rry.jpg

If only I could change the ribbon color in real life as easily as I can in Photoshop. :D

Whiskey isn't too uncommon a color for hat felt. In fact, a few members here had posted their Whiskey hats in the "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?" thread, and as soon as I saw them I knew I'd have to possess a Whiskey hat myself someday. And photos really don't do the Whiskey felt justice--in direct sunlight the fibers reflect slightly lighter and darker colors that the camera doesn't capture. I'm quite sure most (if not all) of the expert custom hatters we're familiar with could easily make such a hat for you, or obtain the Whiskey felt if it's not something they usually deal with. These photos will hopefully at least give you some idea about what you might expect your hat to look like with different colored ribbons.

And before I forget, I'm pleased that you like the hat and consider that a compliment, so thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner