Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

racuda

New in Town
Thanks for the comments! I've worn the Feds (I also have one in Moonstone) the least. I'll give them more head time and see how I feel about them. The brown deluxe Fed is the softest, most comfortable of all of my Akubras.

Duper

Practically Family
Akubras are the only hats I have. They suit my casual outdoors lifestyle. One thing is hard for me to figure out though. Which one looks best with my facial shape and features. I'm 5'11" 180 lbs, size 60. Which one of these looks best, and is there something else that would suit my ugly mug better? Is there a more suitable bash I could give the hats that I have? View attachment 37958

I think they are all good. I am wondering if it as much brim width as much crown height the makes the Fed 4 a winner amongst a good group? Also it is the only darker colour and you have a darker shirt to match. So many subtle things can make a difference.

Did you adjust the crown height on the Cattleman?

,,,Mike in Canada

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I think they are all good. I am wondering if it as much brim width as much crown height the makes the Fed 4 a winner amongst a good group? Also it is the only darker colour and you have a darker shirt to match. So many subtle things can make a difference.

,,,Mike in Canada
PLUS very little taper to the Fed crown. Thats always a winner for me.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments! I've worn the Feds (I also have one in Moonstone) the least. I'll give them more head time and see how I feel about them. The brown deluxe Fed is the softest, most comfortable of all of my Akubras.
I think of those others as more casual "country" hats and the Fed more as a "city" hat.

racuda

New in Town

,,,Mike in Canada

I got caught in the rain and the Cattleman was completely soaked so I used the opportunity to redo it and raised the crown as much as I could.

I think they are all good. I am wondering if it as much brim width as much crown height the makes the Fed 4 a winner amongst a good group? Also it is the only darker colour and you have a darker shirt to match. So many subtle things can make a difference...
I agree. Personally I think the Banjo Paterson and the Fed IV look best because of the slightly narrower brims, but all four hats look good on you Racuda.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Akubras are the only hats I have. They suit my casual outdoors lifestyle. One thing is hard for me to figure out though. Which one looks best with my facial shape and features. I'm 5'11" 180 lbs, size 60. Which one of these looks best, and is there something else that would suit my ugly mug better? Is there a more suitable bash I could give the hats that I have? View attachment 37958

I think the Fed looks the best. The lack of taper and the brim size seem to fit your face better.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I said in another thread recently that I don't like the heritage fawn color, but I have to say it looks great in the Fed IV deluxe. Is tawny fawn in the regular Fed IV essentially the same color? Thanks.

I said in another thread recently that I don't like the heritage fawn color, but I have to say it looks great in the Fed IV deluxe. Is tawny fawn in the regular Fed IV essentially the same color? Thanks.
I haven't seen the Heritage Fawn in person but, based on the way they photograph, I'm fairly certain the Tawny Fawn has a s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more "warm/golden" hue; I could be wrong.

Duper

Practically Family

I find my Tawny Fawn Fed is very similar in colour to my Taupe Fawn Campdraft. The Heritage fawn in photographs looks much more of a brown shade to me, but again I have never seen it in person.

,,,Mike in Canada

Duper

Practically Family
Just looked on the Akubra felt swatch colour chart and Taupe and Tawny are the same colour. Heritage Fawn was not shown. I just realized my Banjo Paterson is Heritage Fawn. I think Zombie nailed it as describing the tawny as having a more warm/golden hue.

,,,Mike in Canada

Last edited:

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen the Heritage Fawn in person but, based on the way they photograph, I'm fairly certain the Tawny Fawn has a s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more "warm/golden" hue; I could be wrong.

Thanks - that's tawny in your photo? looks great, by the way.

Just looked on the Akubra felt swatch colour chart and Taupe and Tawny are the same colour. Heritage Fawn was not shown. I just realized my Banjo Paterson is Heritage Fawn. I think Zombie nailed it as describing the tawny as having a more warm/golden hue.

,,,Mike in Canada

Thanks.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Thanks to ingineer's post on the previous page I finally broke down and ordered a Tablelands which is now in the mail... Now you guys are making me look at the Fed IV... It's all your fault if I order one! :)
You'll thank everyone later!:D

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to ingineer's post on the previous page I finally broke down and ordered a Tablelands which is now in the mail... Now you guys are making me look at the Fed IV... It's all your fault if I order one! :)
Recently got my Fed in Imperial Quality. Very dense and stiff. I'd recommend the Deluxe.

Thanks - that's tawny in your photo? looks great, by the way...
No Sir, the color of the hat in my avatar photo is "Whiskey", which is darker and warmer than Akubra's Tawny Fawn. For comparison, Akubra's Tawny Fawn Fed IV on the left, and Cane's Creations Whiskey (the custom hat in my avatar photo) on the right, both photographed in bright sunlight on different days:

Tawny_Fawn_Whiskey_zps34cb5731.jpg

Bright light tends to "wash out" the color of Akubra's Tawny Fawn; in more subdued light it's warmer/golden hue is more prominent. If Akubra ever made the Fed IV in Whiskey colored felt, my other hats would get a lot less head time. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ