Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Panadora

Panadora Practically Family

I have never showed my millennium series "Spirit of Australia" (Never wears it - too stiff for my liking)!

[​IMG]

2. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Looks nice anyway...

3. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

That is a really nice hat. As my Bushman hat is worn with a telescope crease like that one, it resembles yours when the brim is down, although the Spirit of Australia hat has a flatter brim and a leather braided band.

4. Ginseng

Ginseng One of the Regulars

Just received another shipment from Trudi at HatsDirect. My second Fed IV Deluxe, this time in Moonstone and my third Campdraft, second Moonstone Deluxe. Both came quickly and arrived in perfect condition, fresh from the factory. Now, what bash to hit 'em with?
    Wilkey

[​IMG]

5. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Since they are both the same color, I would hope that you'd chose 2 very different bashes...

6. Ginseng

Ginseng One of the Regulars

Indeed, Bob. Gotta do a little research but thinking I might try a center crease in the Fed.
    Wilkey

7. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

+1. That a good place to start. Classic.

8. stratcat

stratcat One of the Regulars

I've got a centre crease in my Moonstone Fed and a C-crease in my Campdraft.
    Such a versatile colour, goes with anything. I'm about to go out in my Fed today.
    Great pair o' lids there.:thumb:

9. RJR

RJR

My Feds are center creased.

10. 89quattro

89quattro One of the Regulars

Always great to see side by side pictures, thanks, and enjoy them.

I was interested in adding a Fed to my Campdraft family. Interesting that when viewed together, the Fed looks a bit unfinished. Guess I have become accustomed to some sort of edge finishing. Looks like the Fed is not as tall as the CD...what is your opinion?

11. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

The Feds are usually shorter by a quarter to half in. And Akubra claims the Feds are made on "Vintage" blocks.

12. stratcat

The campdrafts are a tall hat in comparison. Thats one of the reasons for going for a C crown bash on mine. It just brings the height down more. It was very obvious when I did a C crown on my black Fed. It just seemed like so much less felt to work with.

The ribbon work on the Campdraft does seem to be better than the Fed in my rather inexperienced opinion. Having recently un-picked both hat bows and ribbons, the CD just seemed to have better bow work.

Bound edge Fed with some contrasting binding/ribbons. Anyone?.........yes please, the queue starts here!

13. Duper

Duper Practically Family

I just noticed Hats Direct has revamped their website. I guess the push is on to renew. Everything Australian and Hats Direct have both redone their online client interfaces. Now I just wish my Canadian dollar bought as much as the US dollar. For most of you Wow! For me Ow!

,,,Mike in Canada

14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That would be nice. I suppose you could get somebody to do an after market addition.

15. Duper

Duper Practically Family

I was browsing around the Hats Direct site and noticed the have a burgundy Stylemaster. Must be another exclusive. Interesting colour.

,,,Mike in Canada

dkstott likes this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed One of the Regulars

That photo may have convinced me to pull the trigger on an open-crowned hat.

17. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

If that doesn't, nothin will.

18. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I'd recommend it. Shaping the crown of your own new hat is enjoyable and a way of expressing your individuality and tastes.

19. stratcat

I don't think there's anyone left in the UK who could/would do that sort of work. Or at least not for the amount I'd want to pay!
    The whole hat 'scene' appears much better for that sort of thing, at least from this side of the pond.

20. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

Wow, that would be a great color. I may have to buy a new hat.