Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This Tawny Fed
1ac072a8b139a589f62d41129b8ee783.jpg
cf2c366413491c8e6f21add759e32875.jpg
on the way Monday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I'm starting to think all you Campdraft/Fed IV guys may have been right all along.

Price increase at HD! :( but shipping costs are decreased! :)

I happened to be in touch with them during the time they updated their website. Apparently their software can't remove the Australian tax when they do an international order, so they chopped a corresponding amount off the shipping costs.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm starting to think all you Campdraft/Fed IV guys may have been right all along.

oh we have been :)

take a look at that big fat bulbous crown and tell me with a straight face that you would not love to chop a sweet bash into that and rock it daily

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
oh we have been :)

take a look at that big fat bulbous crown and tell me with a straight face that you would not love to chop a sweet bash into that and rock it daily

I could tell you that with a straight face, but only because I think I'd prefer Moonstone rather than fawn/brown. (Even my Angler gets me "Indy" comments, and it's not even a fedora.)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I could tell you that with a straight face, but only because I think I'd prefer Moonstone rather than fawn/brown. (Even my Angler gets me "Indy" comments, and it's not even a fedora.)
I agree. Moonstone is a great versitile color! But I don't need 2 Moonstones... Lol.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
IMG_5929.JPG
IMG_5927.JPG

Here is the Adventurer.

Color is very nice. Dimensional brim is also nice. Fit and finish are standard Akubra - that is good.

Lower crown than expected. A bit tapered. Stiff as a bowler. Creased like Coober Pedy.

Not thrilled. My main comment is that this is not comparable to a Fed IV. Still deciding whether to try and sell it or work to make something of use out of it.

Fed

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I believe Ingineer opened up the crown on his and tweaked it a bit. Looks better from his recently posted pics.

Yeah. I have a block and have reworked some hats which were worse. But, the starting point does limit options to some degree. I might be better off taking a loss and ordering a Fed IV.

Just want people to see what the hat actually is.

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
I think so, in a shop in Melbourne. I've seen Akubras that do not appear to be catalog items and the only way to find them is to spot it in a shop in person.

Thank you, Ralph.

Are you saying this model might be an exclusive to a certain unique shop? Are there any other known examples of such "exclusives"?

The hat in question is now en route to me, so I will post more photos when it arrives...

stratcat

One of the Regulars

The moonstone is a great colour, but I really like the fawn. It's kind of a halfway to Silverbelly kind of colour to me. I think it's a warmer colour too.
Having said that I've got a Campdraft and a Fed in moonstone:D

Bob - both my Fed and Campdraft arrived this week (from OZ to UK) without so much as a mark on the box and both hats were perfect inside.
No complaints about HD here!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
My Carbon Grey Fed IV came Sat.Got it for 140 AUD,went to the website today and noticed the price went up to 154.50 AUD.Looks like I just made it before the increase.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
The moonstone is a great colour, but I really like the fawn. It's kind of a halfway to Silverbelly kind of colour to me. I think it's a warmer colour too.

Bob - both my Fed and Campdraft arrived this week (from OZ to UK) without so much as a mark on the box and both hats were perfect inside.

I remember you posted some pictures of the fawn Fed a while back. It's a great-looking hat.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Thats comforting. Thx. HD delivered my Moonstone Fed fine. I don't recall seeing pics if your 2 new hats...? Did u share them with us yet...?

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Thats comforting. Thx. HD delivered my Moonstone Fed fine. I don't recall seeing pics if your 2 new hats...? Did u share them with us yet...?

Sure did, Bob! Post number 5125 in this here thread and here
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?22306-The-Conversion-Corral&p=1998603#post1998603
post number 3327.
Also here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19520-What-Hat-Are-You-Wearing-Today&p=1998611#post1998611
post number 85300
Sometimes you got to be quick around here as the posts get bumped down a few pages at a time. It's good to have such a lively forum!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Sure did, Bob! Post number 5125 in this here thread and here
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?22306-The-Conversion-Corral&p=1998603#post1998603
post number 3327.
Also here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19520-What-Hat-Are-You-Wearing-Today&p=1998611#post1998611
post number 85300
Sometimes you got to be quick around here as the posts get bumped down a few pages at a time. It's good to have such a lively forum!
Thx. I'll take a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland