Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
About to buy a Campdraft. Just bought another hat so the wife will only allow one more hat for now. I was considering the moonstone Fed IV as my other hat is a brown Fed IV, but now I am thinking I should get a Campdraft instead. I was going to go with BGG, but also like the SB. What do you guys think? Or maybe I should get the moonstone CD or just stick with the Fed IV in moonstone since gray is versatile and I'm planning to wear the hat to both dress up and dress down (more to dress up though)?

Analysis paralysis. Why can't I make a decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHE'LL NEVER KNOW. Get one Moonstone Fed plus the Camp Draft in Bluegrass Green shipped together in one box. ;)

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
About to buy a Campdraft. Just bought another hat so the wife will only allow one more hat for now. I was considering the moonstone Fed IV as my other hat is a brown Fed IV, but now I am thinking I should get a Campdraft instead. I was going to go with BGG, but also like the SB. What do you guys think? Or maybe I should get the moonstone CD or just stick with the Fed IV in moonstone since gray is versatile and I'm planning to wear the hat to both dress up and dress down (more to dress up though)?

Analysis paralysis. Why can't I make a decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite hat is the BGG CD. Nothing else tops it. The brown RM Williams version of the CD is a close second. The Moonstone is not bad either.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Actually, wouldn't that be impossible as one is only available at hats direct and the other is only available at EA?
Nothings impossible when it comes to getting hats. Hats Direct has the Camp Draft too and they have it in Deluxe (Heritage) grade and Imperial grade. They are both more expensive then Everything Australian. :(

wedgetail

New in Town
Some very nice Akubras here, sadly I can't keep mine as clean... Don't have much in the way of fedoras and similar although I do have one Stylemaster, but have still only worn it once - at my wedding (4 years ago). I'll try and find some shots of them on my head later.

Stylemaster - planning on flattening the brim a bit and maybe pinching the front crease tighter too. My aim is to wear this more...
image_zpswkjozb2d.jpg

Silver spur - my general wear hat and strictly not for work. So far (2 years on) I've managed to keep it reasonably clean and in good nick. Wear it every sat/sun at least.
image_zpsr0lgocjm.jpg

image_zpsqswjdsnr.jpg

Lastly my faithful work hat - a Woomera. I've worn this almost every day (bar weekends the last two years) for 11 years. I've been a farm mechanic for the last 4 and it must have absorbed enough UV to give any human deadly melanomas many times over and has it's fair share of sweat, dust, grease and blood. But as the crown is about to fall out it is time for it to retire to a wall of fame.

image_zpszxghtxry.jpg

wedgetail

New in Town
So I've been agonising over a replacement work hat for weeks. I ordered a Bobby in Tanbark Brown which I was planning on making something similar to a Border. But after 4 months of not hearing anything I pestered the supplier and he said they no longer make it (I suspect this isn't true - he was covering for his mistake but had the grace to offer me any akubra for cost). I couldn't stand another long wait so chose a riverina in Loden still planning on Border-ing it but then changed my mind and went for a Sombrero as I wanted a pencil curl, maybe ending up with something like Blondie's in the good the bad and the ugly. I may have been too late with this switch though so could end up with a riverina - not such a bad thing anyway.

But in the meantime I spotted NOS Woomera in Tanbark Brown in my size on ebay and as it was clearly put there for me how could I say no? Turned up a few days ago so now I have the luxury of two to chose from. Still trying to decide on a bash, maybe I'll go Border but keep the wider brim. Plaiting up a 6 plait round single band for it now, will dye it light brown.

image_zpsxwjnjjez.jpg

RJR

So I've been agonising over a replacement work hat for weeks. I ordered a Bobby in Tanbark Brown which I was planning on making something similar to a Border. But after 4 months of not hearing anything I pestered the supplier and he said they no longer make it (I suspect this isn't true - he was covering for his mistake but had the grace to offer me any akubra for cost). I couldn't stand another long wait so chose a riverina in Loden still planning on Border-ing it but then changed my mind and went for a Sombrero as I wanted a pencil curl, maybe ending up with something like Blondie's in the good the bad and the ugly. I may have been too late with this switch though so could end up with a riverina - not such a bad thing anyway.

But in the meantime I spotted NOS Woomera in Tanbark Brown in my size on ebay and as it was clearly put there for me how could I say no? Turned up a few days ago so now I have the luxury of two to chose from. Still trying to decide on a bash, maybe I'll go Border but keep the wider brim. Plaiting up a 6 plait round single band for it now, will dye it light brown.

image_zpsxwjnjjez.jpg
Nice!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Get The GOOD Out of them ! Working Hats get worked over , like your Woomera ! Boy I love The Woomera in SanTone Fawn , and have been beginning to try to transition to less western Hats , but you know you have to have what you're comfortable with . Though I'm gotten a couple of shorter brimmed Hats , and plan to get more , but in versatile colors . But I would really like a Woomera , its on my wishlist , even though I have a black Resistol . I like the Open Crown Hats , so you don't have to take the factory bash out before you add yours . I gotta have some crown height , not low like so many are now days , they don't work for me . But as a Dressier Hat , I've gotten several compliments on the SB OR , but had to add Cutter Creases to the side dents to get it on my head right .

I know people that after Hats went out of fashion , wore bill caps , and developed melanoma , and died . Nobody had melanoma until 10 or so years after Hats (Brimmed Hats) were history . As a kid in the hottest of summer working everyone wore long sleeves and a wide brim hat , even women , or they'd wear a sunbonnet . I remember when a Suntan was looked down on as low class and trashy , then everybody , somehow became suntan fanatics , Beach movies I guess . And considered a frying sunburn the price you pay to look good , boy I've been fried . Not anymore if I can help it .

The Woomera or Sombrero (Les Hiddins , The Bush Tucker Man) both Rock ! Akubra can take it like Timex Watch used to advertise "Take a Lickin and Keep Ticking".

Last edited:

wedgetail

New in Town
Yes I agree on he open crowns - the problem I have is I can't work out the true height of a crown before I buy unless it's open. Not sure what you're calling western but always considered the woomera fairly western (we often say northern here as up there all hats are big). I guess your western hats have more than a 4" brim? In general I don't like much less than 4" - 3.5" minimum, so the style aster is pretty extreme for me!

I do still love woomeras and highly advise you get one! They're a tough hat and for akubra have thick felt. When I was working on a station in the Kimberley 12 years ago the manager (a ringer straight out of the 30s, called cars motorcars, was out of place unless in the saddle) said to me after I bought my first woomera "boy you better live up to that hat, a lot of good men have worn that hat"

Last edited:

Mm25

One Too Many
Yes I agree on he open crowns - the problem I have is I can't work out the true height of a crown before I buy unless it's open. Not sure what you're calling western but always considered the woomera fairly western (we often say northern here as up there all hats are big). I guess your western hats have more than a 4" brim? In general I don't like much less than 4" - 3.5" minimum, so the style aster is pretty extreme for me!

I do still love woomeras and highly advise you get one! They're a tough hat and for akubra have thick felt. When I was working on a station in the Kimberley 12 years ago the manager (a ringer straight out of the 30s, called cars motorcars, was out of place unless in the saddle) said to me after I bought my first woomera "boy you better live up to that hat, a lot of good men have worn that hat"
Man. I was trying so hard not to order one, but after that quote, I almost feel like I have too!

wedgetail

New in Town
I almost feel like I have too!
Yes, yes you do! You know you want to anyway... What's not to like? (well the wait if you don't want a sand, but that's not the hat's fault). If Akubra made one hat, IMO this would be it - my recent new miss of not having an active one has made me realise they are the holy grail of akubras. I'd say hats but as I've never had much stetson/resistol exposure I can't say that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda