Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Mm25

One Too Many
Wedgetail did a Great Job on the Akubra Sombrero , as did Mm25 (posted this week), and dinerman did , too .
In all fairness, the brim on mine was totally copied from Wedgetail's, I never really considered a sombrero until I saw what he did with it .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
In all fairness, the brim on mine was totally copied from Wedgetail's, I never really considered a sombrero until I saw what he did with it .

I don't blame you Joe , it looks Great ! Your's , too ! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery . I'll do the same , but dinerman's was the first I saw like that really .

Sonero

Practically Family
I have been looking at the Campdraft in silver belly ( all that is left ) and the CEO in green. I think the silver belly camp draft is too over the top to wear often. Does the CEO flip up to look like a fedora ?

The other hat I was researching was the Bushman in brown but that might be too Indiana Jones for me. I am more into the city slicker classic look.

What do you think ?

I have been looking at the Campdraft in silver belly ( all that is left ) and the CEO in green. I think the silver belly camp draft is too over the top to wear often. Does the CEO flip up to look like a fedora ?

The other hat I was researching was the Bushman in brown but that might be too Indiana Jones for me. I am more into the city slicker classic look.

What do you think ?

What do you find "over the top" about the Camp Draft? I feel like my silverbelly CD pretty much can go anywhere with me.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I believe folks here have said in the past that the CEO brim does NOT flip up - it's not a snap brim, it's permanently down all around.

"Less" with Akbrua fedoras usually means the Stylemaster or Bogart, with their lower crowns and 2-1/2 inch brims. (Or the Fedora, Hampton, etc.) They're more "city" style.

shrek

Familiar Face
Nice hats all ! I've had a cd in bgg on order since spring from Sam at everything aus. Due to my large pumpkin 61cm. We are waiting on the factory.all your hats are making me drool.

Sonero

Practically Family
What do you find "over the top" about the Camp Draft? I feel like my silverbelly CD pretty much can go anywhere with me.

It's a really nice looking hat. Don't get me wrong I just think the color Silverbelly is too over the top for *me. I live in San Diego/Tijuana. It just wouldn't fit in here. A dark brown or black however would look really nice.

Also can someone tell me what the difference is between the regular and the deluxe version ? I also notice a difference in coloring with silver belly photos online. Has Akubra come out with different shading or does it have to do with lighting in the photos ?

Thanks

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's the lighting. I've got a Cattleman in Sand/Silverbelly: it's more like a very pale beige than the off-white or very pale gray of some other hat brands' interpretation of "silverbelly". A good color for hot, blazing-sun conditions vs. heat-absorbing black. I'm not getting why you think it "wouldn't fit"... but then, I've never been to San Diego/Tijuana.

I've never handled a deluxe myself, but I think Akubra's standard models are great (I've had five of them). The sense I've gotten here is that their deluxes have slightly better finished felt and slightly better quality sweatbands, but they're not a huge upgrade on the standard models. It's worth the price difference to some folks, but not that many.

It's a really nice looking hat. Don't get me wrong I just think the color Silverbelly is too over the top for *me. I live in San Diego/Tijuana. It just wouldn't fit in here. A dark brown or black however would look really nice.

Also can someone tell me what the difference is between the regular and the deluxe version ? I also notice a difference in coloring with silver belly photos online. Has Akubra come out with different shading or does it have to do with lighting in the photos ?

Thanks

Hmmm...different strokes, I guess. To me, silverbelly goes with almost anything anywhere. And a big ol' thin ribbon with wa wide brim seems at home in the SW.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I ordered a hat from them last year. I chose whatever their middle shipping option is, and I don't recall any major delays. I would order from them again based on my experience, but I have read some less favorable comments here as well.

If you are running the tracking number through Australia Post, you might want to try it on the USPS website and see if you get any additional information.

I checked the AU tracking code here with USPS and it looks like the hat will be delivered Monday or Tuesday. Awesome!

RJR

It's the lighting. I've got a Cattleman in Sand/Silverbelly: it's more like a very pale beige than the off-white or very pale gray of some other hat brands' interpretation of "silverbelly". A good color for hot, blazing-sun conditions vs. heat-absorbing black. I'm not getting why you think it "wouldn't fit"... but then, I've never been to San Diego/Tijuana.

I've never handled a deluxe myself, but I think Akubra's standard models are great (I've had five of them). The sense I've gotten here is that their deluxes have slightly better finished felt and slightly better quality sweatbands, but they're not a huge upgrade on the standard models. It's worth the price difference to some folks, but not that many.
This is pretty much my experience with the std vs deluxe.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I have been looking at the Campdraft in silver belly ( all that is left ) and the CEO in green. . . . Does the CEO flip up to look like a fedora?

Check out the Stylemaster in bluegrass green.

It's the lighting. I've got a Cattleman in Sand/Silverbelly: it's more like a very pale beige than the off-white or very pale gray of some other hat brands' interpretation of "silverbelly". A good color for hot, blazing-sun conditions vs. heat-absorbing black.

I've been eyeing a sand Cattleman for a while. How's it do in ridiculously hot weather like we've been having recently?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've been eyeing a sand Cattleman for a while. How's it do in ridiculously hot weather like we've been having recently?

My sand Cattleman - with vent holes and no lining - has been my standard hot weather hiking and yard work hat for nine years. It is no hotter than my Stetson panama. Face it, you're going to sweat big-time in any hat when it's hot. I wore it for a ten-minute walk to the mailbox at the end of my street just yesterday afternoon - in 92 degrees and 70% humidity - and I barely broke a sweat.

CATLMN1.JPG

This picture is from when it was new... but apart from sweat-rust on the little bronze Akubra badge on the leather thong, it looks nearly the same now. These hats just laugh off dirt, rain, sweat, scratches, etc.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
My sand Cattleman - with vent holes and no lining - has been my standard hot weather hiking and yard work hat for nine years. It is no hotter than my Stetson panama. Face it, you're going to sweat big-time in any hat when it's hot. I wore it for a ten-minute walk to the mailbox at the end of my street just yesterday afternoon - in 92 degrees and 70% humidity - and I barely broke a sweat.

CATLMN1.JPG

This picture is from when it was new... but apart from sweat-rust on the little bronze Akubra badge on the leather thong, it looks nearly the same now. These hats just laugh off dirt, rain, sweat, scratches, etc.

Thanks! That looks and sounds perfect. My Angler is too hot for this weather even with the vent holes because it's dark and lined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy