Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Akubra makes “straw” hats in a few different materials. I own one in polypropylene (the Country Club) and One in hemp (Balmoral). They are both decent hats, but the Balmoral is on the heavy side for me; much heavier than my hemp Stetson Stratoliners. To my way of thinking, the Balmoral is more of a work or outdoorsy hat and can’t be dressed up much. Kind of depends on what you’re after.
I think it's important to remember that Akubra hats are considered "work" hats in Australia regardless of the style; I assume this extends to their "straw" hats as well. As such, I also think anyone who is expecting an Akubra hat to have the qualities of a high-end production or custom fur felt hat, or a fine-weave Panama hat, is going to be disappointed.

I think it's important to remember that Akubra hats are considered "work" hats in Australia regardless of the style; I assume this extends to their "straw" hats as well. As such, I also think anyone who is expecting an Akubra hat to have the qualities of a high-end production or custom fur felt hat, or a fine-weave Panama hat, is going to be disappointed.

Well said. They are great hats and they own their price point, but they aren’t all hats to all people. I like them and wouldnt try to talk anyone out of buying, but you need to know what you’re getting so you aren’t disappointed.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Need some mineral spirits. Oh well.
c06bc1debdf6c486f03680933ca40f91.jpg
5630264bbe25ec51ee99e5d2eb5693d4.jpg

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Akubra makes “straw” hats in a few different materials. I own one in polypropylene (the Country Club) and One in hemp (Balmoral). They are both decent hats, but the Balmoral is on the heavy side for me; much heavier than my hemp Stetson Stratoliners. To my way of thinking, the Balmoral is more of a work or outdoorsy hat and can’t be dressed up much. Kind of depends on what you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received the Balmoral and it is very stiff, so much so that I would expect it to provide substantial protection from falling objects. It weighs about nine ounces, compared to the Camp Draft at six ounces. It is a comfortable hat and looks pretty good in person.

As you observed, there will be no dressing up attempted.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I finally dipped my toe in the Akubra waters and ordered my first one on the 19th. Shipped out same day from Australia and at my door today by noon.

Wow, that was fast! It took me about three months to get my Campdraft. Great pics, but I wonder why you, like so many others, scowl when shooting a selfie? I'd scowl because I'm terrible at taking selfies, but when I try, I like to smile, because wearing a nifty hat is reason to smile! :)

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Wow, that was fast! It took me about three months to get my Campdraft. Great pics, but I wonder why you, like so many others, scowl when shooting a selfie? I'd scowl because I'm terrible at taking selfies, but when I try, I like to smile, because wearing a nifty hat is reason to smile! :)

I guess I didn't notice. I'll try to make a better effort.

My wife always gripes at me for not smiling in photos. I'm just trying to look "not stoned."

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Haha. Nope, full beard here. Frank was anti-drug, BTW.

I did know that! I saw Frank Zappa in concert five times. Once in Baltimore, MD (his home town) and four times in Munich, Germany. Frank was a serious, professional musician. I remember reading an article on him in a German magazine on a train from Munich to Vienna, and it described how he was a stickler for detail, and how his compositions were all written out -- for every instrument in the band (which was his orchestra). An incredible talent that we lost way too early.

You have probably seen this, but it's a gas to see again!

I did know that! I saw Frank Zappa in concert five times. Once in Baltimore, MD (his home town) and four times in Munich, Germany. Frank was a serious, professional musician. I remember reading an article on him in a German magazine on a train from Munich to Vienna, and it described how he was a stickler for detail, and how his compositions were all written out -- for every instrument in the band (which was his orchestra). An incredible talent that we lost way too early.

You have probably seen this, but it's a gas to see again!

I always get a kick out of that one. I only got to see Frank four times, but he was my first concert, so he kinda left an impression...

This one doesn't get seen as much, but way cool. And oddly appropriate for this thread.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Here's another Zappa recollection: I attended college in Munich, Germany on the army base (McGraw Kaserne). My dorm room was the corner room on the top (fourth) floor. I took paint (not acrylic) and painted my window. Half of the window was an America hot dog (re: Firesign Theatre, "A mighty hot dog is our lord") and the other half a stylized portrait of Frank Zappa. Both the locals and the army types really got a kick out of them!

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I always get a kick out of that one. I only got to see Frank four times, but he was my first concert, so he kinda left an impression...

One of the things I like about the Steve Allen clip -- and we all know Steve Allen was quite the musician, too -- is that he starts out being dismissive of Zappa. By the end, he has grown to respect him.

Wow, that was fast! It took me about three months to get my Campdraft...
It really depends on who you're ordering from and whether or not they have the hat you want in stock. I've ordered from both Hats Direct/The Hattery and Everything Australian, and they both shipped within 24 hours if they had the hat in-hand. But if they had to order it from Akubra, it took that extra two to three months. There's also the time difference between wherever you/we are and Australia, and the fact that Australia Post doesn't work on Saturdays and Sundays. If you're in the U.S. and order your hat late on a Thursday night, it can sit immobile somewhere in Australia for two or three extra days.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
It really depends on who you're ordering from and whether or not they have the hat you want in stock. I've ordered from both Hats Direct/The Hattery and Everything Australian, and they both shipped within 24 hours if they had the hat in-hand. But if they had to order it from Akubra, it took that extra two to three months. There's also the time difference between wherever you/we are and Australia, and the fact that Australia Post doesn't work on Saturdays and Sundays. If you're in the U.S. and order your hat late on a Thursday night, it can sit immobile somewhere in Australia for two or three extra days.

I believe AusPost does sort packages on Sunday but only delivers Monday to Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot