Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks! I also have a Leisure Time coming in Regency Fawn. Luckily both me and my husband wear the same size, so we can share. It's technically "his" hat...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That should work out well for you! Just tell your husband how good he would look in the hats you want!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have been a long time hat lover and long time lurker, and finally joined you guys to share my love of hats! I recently purchased my first Akubra, the Coober Pedy in Santone Fawn and thought I'd share some shots! I'm already stoking my Akubra addiction and bought the Traveller in black. Don't mind my unwaxed eyebrows :)
179693dfe5e431d2e81939682e68a7d2.jpg
First, welcome to The Lounge Firedanser! Second, I agree with what Desert Dog wrote in post #6559--the shape of the crown mirrors the shape of your face nicely, and the brim is neither too wide nor too narrow. Also, the hat goes nicely with that Cowichan sweater you're wearing. Your husband should just admit defeat now and declare that hat as yours. :D

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I have been a long time hat lover and long time lurker, and finally joined you guys to share my love of hats! I recently purchased my first Akubra, the Coober Pedy in Santone Fawn and thought I'd share some shots! I'm already stoking my Akubra addiction and bought the Traveller in black. Don't mind my unwaxed eyebrows :)
ba250e3f7eb76e7d840ad1e5913c5806.jpg
179693dfe5e431d2e81939682e68a7d2.jpg
d76759d22dd9a74bbefcdb177b143a84.jpg

Welcome to the Lounge. It is always encouraging to "meet" ladies who are interested in hats. The Akubra hats are a good choice - solid, economical hats. I have several myself. Let us know what your next purchase is! ;)

Last edited:

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Need some advice. I have a BGGCD and absolutely hate the crease I put in it. I've tried everything I know how to do to get it out but can't seem to get all of it out. I'm now thinking of just ordering another one and be done with it.
Any suggestions? And no I donot have a hat bloc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need some advice. I have a BGGCD and absolutely hate the crease I put in it. I've tried everything I know how to do to get it out but can't seem to get all of it out. I'm now thinking of just ordering another one and be done with it.

You will need something to iron against to remove the ghosts from tight pinches & crease lines. Since you don't have a block take a small round stainless steel mixing bowl small enough to fit inside the hat & not be tight. If you don't have a mixing bowl you can use a softball, darning egg, etc. Use an old padded kitchen hot pad like grandma used to make & wet 1/4th of it with distilled water. With the mixing bowl inside the hat backing up the ghost crease iron the wet hot pad on the outside. Holding the mixing bowl you should be able to apply some pressure while ironing. Wet & repeat as necessary & it may take more than one session. Take care not to touch the hat anywhere off the hot pad with the hot iron.

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
Can anyone compare Akubra‘s color Moonstone to Stetsons Caribou? I’ve been fiending for an OR type hat in gray and am leaning toward the Moonstone CD vs the modern OR or Premier Strat.. (especially for theprice). I can find a bunch of separate photos of each, but the lighting makes it impossible to compare.

I bought a heated hat “block” on eBay. I got it undersized so it doesn’t resize the sweat. If the liner is removed, it’s simple to work the damp felt over the heated block and remove the creases. If the liner is going to remain in I don’t plug it in and just use a regular clothes iron on the outside and work it against the block. I’ve had great luck.

c005b132d660f2ef532b1c3798b7ee31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Merry Christmas (belated)! :D

I’ve got a quick question for the Akubra crowd... Lots of the YouTube videos and forum posts I read mention raising the crown so it doesn’t contact the top of your head. Is this strictly a comfort thing? The reason I ask is that I actually find it more comfortable when the crown rests on the top of my noggin. But, I do have fairly oily hair, and I’m just concerned I might damage the felt over time. Is this a legitimate concern, or is it OK to let the crown rest on my head? Thanks in advance.;)

Doug

PS- I should also mention that I remove the liners in my hats...I don’t like them.

Firedanser

New in Town
Received my black Akubra Traveller today. Ordered from David Morgan and received in three days! Unfortunately, they were back ordered for 3 months from all the Australian sites, so I opted to pay more to get it quick. Akubra makes such great hats! Now just waiting on my husband's Leisure Time in Regency Fawn...
42048bfac2d62f32388e4fe4678ebeae.jpg
dc9ed6eb46fcf9d2be3b4b4f4a8e0ce4.jpg

Can anyone compare Akubra‘s color Moonstone to Stetsons Caribou? I’ve been fiending for an OR type hat in gray and am leaning toward the Moonstone CD vs the modern OR or Premier Strat.. (especially for theprice). I can find a bunch of separate photos of each, but the lighting makes it impossible to compare.
Tele, I have both a Camp Draft in Moonstone & a 150th Anny Strat in Caribou. I won't bother posting pics since you know the problems with lighting & monitors.

Moonstone has some blue undertones so it is more of a blue gray & overall lighter in color than Caribou. In cool photographic lighting Moonstone can actually appear very blue. Caribou is more of a medium gray. It doesn't get any lighter but does show a darker gray in cool or low lighting.

Moonstone is probably a bit more casual; Caribou a bit more dressy, goes well with certain business suits. Hope this helps.

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
Tele, I have both a Camp Draft in Moonstone & a 150th Anny Strat in Caribou. I won't bother posting pics since you know the problems with lighting & monitors.

Moonstone has some blue undertones so it is more of a blue gray & overall lighter in color than Caribou. In cool photographic lighting Moonstone can actually appear very blue. Caribou is more of a medium gray. It doesn't get any lighter but does show a darker gray in cool or low lighting.

Moonstone is probably a bit more casual; Caribou a bit more dressy, goes well with certain business suits. Hope this helps.

Thanks... and dang! I was hoping to be able to choose one, but that makes me want both. Does the Hattery ever have sales?

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
I can't answer concerning sales or not, but assuming you live in the US keep an eye on the exchange rate & use it to your advantage.

I live in Europe actually (though I am from the US originally)... same logic applies though.

The math is tough on the Akubra I gotta say, a CD and shipping from Oz comes to about the same price as a Royal Deluxe OR or even the Premier Strat from one2miniranch, factoring in the favorable EUR / USD exchange and the fact that I can pickup the Stetson next time I’m visiting my folks in the US saving the shipping... dang dang.

I wish the used market over here was better, but you never see these type of hats.

Thanks... and dang! I was hoping to be able to choose one, but that makes me want both. Does the Hattery ever have sales?
Just a thought; There are two great custom hatters here on the Lounge that are located in Europe...one in Antwerp and the other in Denmark(I think). Both make great looking hats and it by avoiding the shipping and taxes may bring the cost closer in line with of an Akubra or Stetson.

RJR

Just a thought; There are two great custom hatters here on the Lounge that are located in Europe...one in Antwerp and the other in Denmark(I think). Both make great looking hats and it by avoiding the shipping and taxes may bring the cost closer in line with of an Akubra or Stetson.
Good suggestion.

DRB

One Too Many
Here's my Bluegrass Green Campdraft photographed on an overcast day:

6MXgayl.jpg

And the same hat with my other two Campdrafts on a sunny day:

kutDCB7.jpg

Some lighting brings out a hint of a blueish hue but it's definitely a green hat, so if that's not something you're interested in you'd probably be better off choosing the Loden or Sorrel. I really like the color, and it seems to get a bit more attention than my other hats.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points