Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks. I like your bash better than the Indy-type look DM shows on their website.

(To me, the Fed IV seems closer to the Indy look than the DM Adventurer, FWIW.)

Thank you, I like a teardrop bash, and a wide brim and straight tall crown. The bash is very shallow on this hat in an attempt to gain height, but it still isn't quite as tall as I like. Also, to be clear about the color, that washed out gray on the top of the hat is nowhere close to the true color, just a strange effect of the lighting.

Zombie makes a good point about dimensions. I typically wear a 7-3/4 or 62 size hat, and I like a taller crown and wider brim so my hat looks proportional to the size 7 or 7-1/4 hats the more normal-sized folks wear. To me, a 2-1/2" brim or 4-1/2" crown on my head looks like my mother shrunk my hat in the laundry, but these dimensions do look very nice on lots of folks. It pays to keep the hat size in mind when you're trying to decide the rest of the dimensions that create the look you're after.

Good luck!
Regan

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, I like a teardrop bash, and a wide brim and straight tall crown. The bash is very shallow on this hat in an attempt to gain height, but it still isn't quite as tall as I like. Also, to be clear about the color, that washed out gray on the top of the hat is nowhere close to the true color, just a strange effect of the lighting.

Zombie makes a good point about dimensions. I typically wear a 7-3/4 or 62 size hat, and I like a taller crown and wider brim so my hat looks proportional to the size 7 or 7-1/4 hats the more normal-sized folks wear. To me, a 2-1/2" brim or 4-1/2" crown on my head looks like my mother shrunk my hat in the laundry, but these dimensions do look very nice on lots of folks. It pays to keep the hat size in mind when you're trying to decide the rest of the dimensions that create the look you're after.

Good luck!
Regan
You're absolutely right. I'm a 7 7/8 and a 2 1/2 brim looks like a stingy on me. This is probably why I now have so many Akubras: I have CD's and Fed IV's, and I think the former might suit my face a little better than the latter. One other thing I discovered was that if you have a wider, northern European head and face, with well-spaced eyes, a hat with any taper at all makes you look like a pinhead. One of my first hat purchases was a Borsalino: I was really looking forward to it, but when I put it on and looked in the mirror I saw Zippy staring back at me. At least I think it was the hat that did it.

...Zombie makes a good point about dimensions. I typically wear a 7-3/4 or 62 size hat, and I like a taller crown and wider brim so my hat looks proportional to the size 7 or 7-1/4 hats the more normal-sized folks wear. To me, a 2-1/2" brim or 4-1/2" crown on my head looks like my mother shrunk my hat in the laundry, but these dimensions do look very nice on lots of folks. It pays to keep the hat size in mind when you're trying to decide the rest of the dimensions that create the look you're after.

Good luck!
Regan
Being relatively new to wearing hats, it took me a while to figure that out. I'd look at a photo of someone wearing a Fed IV, for example, and wonder why the brim on their hat looked wider than mine. Then I'd find out their hat was three or four sizes smaller and it finally dawned on me that the brim looked wider because the crown was narrower. Yeah, sometimes I'm as sharp as a bowling ball. :rolleyes:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Being relatively new to wearing hats, it took me a while to figure that out. I'd look at a photo of someone wearing a Fed IV, for example, and wonder why the brim on their hat looked wider than mine. Then I'd find out their hat was three or four sizes smaller and it finally dawned on me that the brim looked wider because the crown was narrower. Yeah, sometimes I'm as sharp as a bowling ball. :rolleyes:

That story sounds familiar... I learned the hard way too!

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
I'll bet that influences the look of a brim on a long oval hat to some degree too. What I've done to alleviate what seemed like a wide brim on my BGCD is to break the brim a little closer to the center and tip the edges up before the snap. I've started doing something I see Alan do, which is work the snapped up brim so that its down some in front and not snapped down. I get the narrower looking brim and the down in front line without the snap down. When the sun is in my eyes I snap it down, very nice situation. It seems just a little bit western.

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
To me, a 2-1/2" brim or 4-1/2" crown on my head looks like my mother shrunk my hat in the laundry, but these dimensions do look very nice on lots of folks. It pays to keep the hat size in mind when you're trying to decide the rest of the dimensions that create the look you're after.

:D

Being relatively new to wearing hats, it took me a while to figure that out. I'd look at a photo of someone wearing a Fed IV, for example, and wonder why the brim on their hat looked wider than mine. Then I'd find out their hat was three or four sizes smaller and it finally dawned on me that the brim looked wider because the crown was narrower.

Ayup!

My Banjo Patterson reads roughly as a Riverina on my small, narrow noggin!

... Okay, maybe a Cattleman, but you get the point.

o_O

This of course leaves me fascinated by pictures such as @RJR in his:

865BnGn.jpg

Y'all explain the proportional phenomenon and visual outcomes well, above.

:)

~ S.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to admit to feeling like a buffoon...I never even considered the hat size/ brim width phenomenon. :D
It took me quite a while to pick up on it. I think you're in good company. When I first got into hats and discovered this forum I was all set to order a Stylemaster. Then, after reading some of the threads, particularly the Campdraft one, I ordered the CD instead. After a couple of bad moves, that was my first good one because the straight up-and-down sides, the taller crown, and the slightly bigger brim suited me so much better than my previous attempts. Live and learn. And listen to the advice you can only get here.

Last edited:

Streak

New in Town
Hi all of your Akubra aficionados.
I posted this in the I'm looking for a hat section

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...or-hat-information.16572/page-52#post-2496025

It was suggested that I pop in here to get opinions from the folks who know the Akubra range well. Looks like the territory/riverina may be too much hat for my shaped face and looking for alternatives (cattleman/coober pedy etc.).

Thanks in anticipation!

Qrowin

Familiar Face
Hi all of your Akubra aficionados.
I posted this in the I'm looking for a hat section

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...or-hat-information.16572/page-52#post-2496025

It was suggested that I pop in here to get opinions from the folks who know the Akubra range well. Looks like the territory/riverina may be too much hat for my shaped face and looking for alternatives (cattleman/coober pedy etc.).

Thanks in anticipation!
Can't go wrong with a Campdraft. Good brim width and you can shape the crown how you like, whether it be westerny or dressy or both and anything in between!

Streak

New in Town
Thanks for the suggestion. At 73mm the campdraft's brim is a little small, I was thinking more along the lines of the 83mm brim of the cattleman and coober pedy. Already quite a bit small than the 103mm Territory.

Thanks for the suggestion. At 73mm the campdraft's brim is a little small, I was thinking more along the lines of the 83mm brim of the cattleman and coober pedy. Already quite a bit small than the 103mm Territory.
Seems as though you have a fairly good handle on what you want/need. When it comes time to buy make sure you check out Everything Australian. They have the best pricing and their service is second to none. Hats Direct carries more inventory but you pay a bit of a premium for it.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
The Riverina has a 3 7/8" brim.

The Avalon and Snowy River both have a 3 1/4" brim.

The Pilbara has a 3 5/8" brim with a bit of a taller crown.

Just a couple more options in case you haven't seen them before. I found these off the David Morgan website. They tend to be a bit higher priced, but it's an American dealer. They currently have the Pilbara on sale for $125.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner