Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

DD, I went back to look at your CBCD. My MBCD has been wearing a teardrop for quite a while now. It's a very soft CD. When I unbox my dark browns in Nov i think I'll make it an OR clone too.

IMG_9251.JPG

IMG_9250.JPG

IMG_9249.JPG

It's ready for a New Doo.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is a very nice color. I bet it will look good in a OR style.
That reminds me, I have a couple dark beers to try today!
DD, I went back to look at your CBCD. My MBCD has been wearing a teardrop for quite a while now. It's a very soft CD. When I unbox my dark browns in Nov i think I'll make it an OR clone too.

View attachment 141384

View attachment 141383

View attachment 141382

It's ready for a New Doo.

View attachment 141387

View attachment 141386

View attachment 141385

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
I need advice from you fine Akubra gentlemen. I’ve decided I’m sold on the 3” brim size. I view it as the perfect balance of protection and size. I’m looking for a darker color (but not black), than the usual fawn shades, but I want the tapered crown like the Lightning Ridge. I came across the Kiandra, which has a 3” brim and a dark fawn color that I love. I just can’t stand the upward curve of the brim on the sides...it screams “cowboy” to me. Do you think I’d be able to take the up curve out of the brim and not constantly fight it wanting to return for the life of the hat?

Second dilemma, I’m incredibly bummed about my new Lightning Ridge. I love everything about it to death except the size. It feels a full size smaller than my other two 59’s. At first I chocked it up to the stiffer felt, and convinced myself I could stretch it just fine. Unfortunately, no amount of stretching and steaming is making it comfortable. And since I’ve already modified it, David Morgan are unwilling to do anything about it (which I fully understand, I’m not blaming them). So sadly, if there is a for sale section of this forum, I think someone is going to get a brand new, slightly improved (haha), Lightning Ridge for a very discounted price.

Doug

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I need advice from you fine Akubra gentlemen. I’ve decided I’m sold on the 3” brim size. I view it as the perfect balance of protection and size. I’m looking for a darker color (but not black), than the usual fawn shades, but I want the tapered crown like the Lightning Ridge. I came across the Kiandra, which has a 3” brim and a dark fawn color that I love. I just can’t stand the upward curve of the brim on the sides...it screams “cowboy” to me. Do you think I’d be able to take the up curve out of the brim and not constantly fight it wanting to return for the life of the hat?

Second dilemma, I’m incredibly bummed about my new Lightning Ridge. I love everything about it to death except the size. It feels a full size smaller than my other two 59’s. At first I chocked it up to the stiffer felt, and convinced myself I could stretch it just fine. Unfortunately, no amount of stretching and steaming is making it comfortable. And since I’ve already modified it, David Morgan are unwilling to do anything about it (which I fully understand, I’m not blaming them). So sadly, if there is a for sale section of this forum, I think someone is going to get a brand new, slightly improved (haha), Lightning Ridge for a very discounted price.

Doug
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune with the size. I was lucky enough not to have any issues with my Lightning Ridge that others have had with Akubra sizing. Regarding your question on the Kiandra brim, I would have to believe that you wouldn't have any issues reshaping the brim. The hat is made of the Imperial Quality felt, which is a lower grade than the Heritage quality of the Lightning Ridge. Based on what I've read on here, the Imperial grade seems to hold it's shape with less work than the Heritage. I'm sure others like Zombie could better help you in that regard. I'll also add that Hats By The Hundred offers that hat as made to order. If you chose to go with them I'm sure they would be willing to work with you to get you what you want seeing as it wouldn't be a major alteration. I've never dealt with them, so again maybe someone else could aid you better than I. If you haven't visited the site, I suggest taking a look at Hats By The Hundred. They have a broader selection of Akubras than David Morgan. Good luck in your search.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune with the size. I was lucky enough not to have any issues with my Lightning Ridge that others have had with Akubra sizing. Regarding your question on the Kiandra brim, I would have to believe that you wouldn't have any issues reshaping the brim. The hat is made of the Imperial Quality felt, which is a lower grade than the Heritage quality of the Lightning Ridge. Based on what I've read on here, the Imperial grade seems to hold it's shape with less work than the Heritage. I'm sure others like Zombie could better help you in that regard. I'll also add that Hats By The Hundred offers that hat as made to order. If you chose to go with them I'm sure they would be willing to work with you to get you what you want seeing as it wouldn't be a major alteration. I've never dealt with them, so again maybe someone else could aid you better than I. If you haven't visited the site, I suggest taking a look at Hats By The Hundred. They have a broader selection of Akubras than David Morgan. Good luck in your search.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate the info. I'll check out Hats By The Hundred. I've watched a number of their youtube videos, but never visited their site.

Doug

Ryan is correct about my experiences with Akubra's Imperial Grade felt versus their Heritage Grade, but I've never really re-shaped a factory crease or brim; only open crowns and flanged brims. As far as the brim on the Kiandra, you might be able to flatten it by soaking it with distilled water (I've never used steam), placing it on a flat surface, laying a towel over it, then placing a heavy book on each side until it dries. If that works, you can spray it again and shape it to give the front and rear of the brim the typical "outback" downturn. Again, I've never done this so my suggestions are purely speculative.

...Second dilemma, I’m incredibly bummed about my new Lightning Ridge. I love everything about it to death except the size. It feels a full size smaller than my other two 59’s. At first I chocked it up to the stiffer felt, and convinced myself I could stretch it just fine. Unfortunately, no amount of stretching and steaming is making it comfortable. And since I’ve already modified it, David Morgan are unwilling to do anything about it (which I fully understand, I’m not blaming them). So sadly, if there is a for sale section of this forum, I think someone is going to get a brand new, slightly improved (haha), Lightning Ridge for a very discounted price.

Doug
If/when you re-order, you might try providing the measurements of a hat that fits you well--inner circumference of the sweatband, side-to-side width and front-to-back length, and ask the vendor if they will send a hat that will match those measurements after the sweatband shrinks. I've never done that, but I've read the folks at Everything Australian and Hats Direct/The Hattery are willing to do that for their customers. Speaking of which, you must have your reasons for ordering from David Morgan, but their prices are quite a bit higher than those of Everything Australian and Hats Direct.

And, yes, if you're sincerely interested in selling the hat you can list it in the Classifieds section here on The Lounge.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Ryan is correct about my experiences with Akubra's Imperial Grade felt versus their Heritage Grade, but I've never really re-shaped a factory crease or brim; only open crowns and flanged brims. As far as the brim on the Kiandra, you might be able to flatten it by soaking it with distilled water (I've never used steam), placing it on a flat surface, laying a towel over it, then placing a heavy book on each side until it dries. If that works, you can spray it again and shape it to give the front and rear of the brim the typical "outback" downturn. Again, I've never done this so my suggestions are purely speculative.

If/when you re-order, you might try providing the measurements of a hat that fits you well--inner circumference of the sweatband, side-to-side width and front-to-back length, and ask the vendor if they will send a hat that will match those measurements after the sweatband shrinks. I've never done that, but I've read the folks at Everything Australian and Hats Direct/The Hattery are willing to do that for their customers. Speaking of which, you must have your reasons for ordering from David Morgan, but their prices are quite a bit higher than those of Everything Australian and Hats Direct.

And, yes, if you're sincerely interested in selling the hat you can list it in the Classifieds section here on The Lounge.

Thanks, Al! I do like David Morgan's 2 day delivery (they get to Central CA very fast), but my main reason for ordering my hats from them is I believed they were the only North American distributor for Akubra. I'll have to check out the other vendors you mentioned. Additionally, the Lightning Ridge, I believe is an exclusive for David Morgan, so my replacement will have to come from them.

Edited to add: It turns out David Morgan is only a few dollars more expensive, and weeks to months faster, for me at least. I priced the Kiandra as an example, and by the time the shipping was added in, David Morgan's price was only $4 more expensive than the other two vendors, one of whom had a 3 month wait time, and both of which had shipping time estimates of several weeks. I like knowing they are there as a back-up, or for their larger selection. But if David Morgan has the hat I want in stock, I can't see any reason to pick the others instead.

Last edited:
Thanks, Al! I do like David Morgan's 2 day delivery (they get to Central CA very fast), but my main reason for ordering my hats from them is I believed they were the only North American distributor for Akubra. I'll have to check out the other vendors you mentioned. Additionally, the Lightning Ridge, I believe is an exclusive for David Morgan, so my replacement will have to come from them.
The links in my previous post are for two Australian vendors that have a solid reputation here on The Lounge. You won't get two-day delivery, but if they have the hat you want in stock you should receive it within a week. That said, you're right--I just checked and neither of them list the Lightning Ridge. They both sell the Kiandra though. :D

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
The Lightning Ridge IS exclusive to David Morgan, and only in the Heritage grade felt. So if that's the hat that you like, that's the dealer and price that you are limited to. I do wish that the LR was available in more colors. DM prices are a little higher, but it's the price you pay for having a US vendor and not having to deal with wait times or overseas shipping costs. Also, there are certain hats/names that differ between US and Australian vendors. I believe the Banjo Patterson and Coober Peedy fall under that. There are also others that are exclusive to certain vendors. The Fed IV (an Indy clone) is exclusive to The Hattery, but is very similar to the Adventurer that is sold by other vendors.

Ryan

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Howdy Gents! I've got great news. I'm very pleased to say that Akubra are willing to re-block my Lightning Ridge one size larger if I sent it to them. They said they would also add chinstrap hooks for me at no charge, since they will be stripping it anyways. I'm very impressed with their customer service. I can't wait to get my Lighting Ridge back as a size larger. It's my dream hat and I'm glad I won't have to be parting with it. :)

Doug

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Howdy Gents! I've got great news. I'm very pleased to say that Akubra are willing to re-block my Lightning Ridge one size larger if I sent it to them. They said they would also add chinstrap hooks for me at no charge, since they will be stripping it anyways. I'm very impressed with their customer service. I can't wait to get my Lighting Ridge back as a size larger. It's my dream hat and I'm glad I won't have to be parting with it. :)

Doug

That’s really good news; glad they are willing to help you out!

Scuttle

One of the Regulars

Ah, good news!

At the same time, that seems like a lot of trouble on Akubra's part-- time and labor, with an uncertain outcome-- vs. a straight swap for an accurate size.

At the same time, I can understand why they would not want to open the door to "Buy it there, exchange it here" expectations (especially with vendor exclusives). Their wording and action plan make sense.

But me? I'd put an eensy mark inside the hat somewhere, to see if the same hat comes back. ;-)

~ S.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Ah, good news!

At the same time, that seems like a lot of trouble on Akubra's part-- time and labor, with an uncertain outcome-- vs. a straight swap for an accurate size.

At the same time, I can understand why they would not want to open the door to "Buy it there, exchange it here" expectations (especially with vendor exclusives). Their wording and action plan make sense.

But me? I'd put an eensy mark inside the hat somewhere, to see if the same hat comes back. ;-)

~ S.

I can see it being done either way. And to be honest, I'm not sure that it's a whole lot of extra work. Re-blocking, stitching in a new sweatband (which they said will need to be done), and installing the chinstrap hooks is probably not all that time consuming for a company that puts out as many hats as they do. But I agree, replacing it with a larger one would seem even easier. It's probably not an option since I'd already modified mine by removing the hat band and lining.

I should also point out that it might be unfair to make it seem like my hat sizing was a mistake on their part. I know that when dealing with different models of clothing, even from the same manufacturer, the fit and sizing are often not exact. I don't blame Akubra, and I'm just happy they are willing to make it fit me better. They definitely have a loyal customer in me. I really have no desire to even look at other brands of felt hats. And they can be certain I'll be singing their praises if it comes back fitting better.:D

As a side note, I also just placed an order for a Lawson. To be safe, I ordered a size 60, since it is also a Heritage Collection hat. I'm much more comfortable making a slightly large hat fit me right than trying to stretch one. In fact, I think 60 is going to be my go-to size from here on out.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Anyone out there have any photos of the David Morgan Adventuter in Moonstone? There is one on their website but it’s literally the only one I’ve been able to find.

Thanks.

I can see it being done either way. And to be honest, I'm not sure that it's a whole lot of extra work. Re-blocking, stitching in a new sweatband (which they said will need to be done), and installing the chinstrap hooks is probably not all that time consuming for a company that puts out as many hats as they do. But I agree, replacing it with a larger one would seem even easier. It's probably not an option since I'd already modified mine by removing the hat band and lining.

I should also point out that it might be unfair to make it seem like my hat sizing was a mistake on their part. I know that when dealing with different models of clothing, even from the same manufacturer, the fit and sizing are often not exact. I don't blame Akubra, and I'm just happy they are willing to make it fit me better. They definitely have a loyal customer in me. I really have no desire to even look at other brands of felt hats. And they can be certain I'll be singing their praises if it comes back fitting better.:D

As a side note, I also just placed an order for a Lawson. To be safe, I ordered a size 60, since it is also a Heritage Collection hat. I'm much more comfortable making a slightly large hat fit me right than trying to stretch one. In fact, I think 60 is going to be my go-to size from here on out.
For me the message in this is..."don't be afraid to lodge a complaint and ask for what you need". You never know you might get what you want.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Anyone out there have any photos of the David Morgan Adventuter in Moonstone? There is one on their website but it’s literally the only one I’ve been able to find.

Thanks.

I have one of these hats. It was my first fedora purchase, and I chose Moonstone because the other option was a dark brown and I really didn't want to hear any "Indy" jokes.

This is a light gray hat, with a little bit of a blue cast to the felt. The ribbon to me has a definite blue cast, almost a bright (though faint) neon or iridescent blue. That gives the felt even more of a blue cast. I have seen a few photos of Moonstone on here that make it look more like a charcoal, but mine definitely is not that dark or even that true a gray.

Like many hats, the color is hard to capture. The truest color in each picture is on the right side of the hat/photo, right against the blue bedspread, as that side is getting the most natural light from the window.

I've bought several different colors of gray ribbon for this hat, wanting to get rid of the blue and make it a little more gray. The trouble is, from light gray to a medium-dark gray, the ribbon looks almost the same color as the felt, giving the hat a very monochromatic look. I cannot explain how hat colors can change right before your eyes, but I swear they do!

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but that's all I have handy. Hope it helps a little.

Good luck,
Regan

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I have one of these hats. It was my first fedora purchase, and I chose Moonstone because the other option was a dark brown and I really didn't want to hear any "Indy" jokes.

This is a light gray hat, with a little bit of a blue cast to the felt. The ribbon to me has a definite blue cast, almost a bright (though faint) neon or iridescent blue. That gives the felt even more of a blue cast. I have seen a few photos of Moonstone on here that make it look more like a charcoal, but mine definitely is not that dark or even that true a gray.

Like many hats, the color is hard to capture. The truest color in each picture is on the right side of the hat/photo, right against the blue bedspread, as that side is getting the most natural light from the window.

I've bought several different colors of gray ribbon for this hat, wanting to get rid of the blue and make it a little more gray. The trouble is, from light gray to a medium-dark gray, the ribbon looks almost the same color as the felt, giving the hat a very monochromatic look. I cannot explain how hat colors can change right before your eyes, but I swear they do!

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but that's all I have handy. Hope it helps a little.

Good luck,
Regan

Thanks. I like your bash better than the Indy-type look DM shows on their website.

(To me, the Fed IV seems closer to the Indy look than the DM Adventurer, FWIW.)

...(To me, the Fed IV seems closer to the Indy look than the DM Adventurer, FWIW.)
You probably already know this, but despite any claims to the contrary that might be posted on the vendors' websites both hats are essentially based on the Indy hat(s). Both hats feature tall(ish) straight sided crowns and dimensional brims, but the brim on the Adventurer is a little wider--2-3/4" on the sides and 3-1/8" front and back, while the Fed IV brim is 2-1/2" on the sides and 2-3/4" front and back. Which hat is "closer" depends on the eye of the wearer and which of the Indy hats they're trying to replicate. Generally speaking, the Adventurer is closer to the Raiders hat(s), while the Fed IV is closer to the Last Crusade/Crystal Skull hat(s). Of course, neither of them will look quite "right" unless you happen to be the same size and shape as Harrison Ford. ;)

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Generally speaking, the Adventurer is closer to the Raiders hat(s), while the Fed IV is closer to the Last Crusade/Crystal Skull hat(s). Of course, neither of them will look quite "right" unless you happen to be the same size and shape as Harrison Ford. ;)

You’re probably right with regard to the hats’ respective dimensions, but something about the “Indy” bash for the Adventurer they show on the DM website just doesn’t look quite right to me. I watched a scene from Raiders the other day and I just don’t see it. Maybe it’s just the way they photograph it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner