Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My new Lightning Ridge arrived today, and all I can say is, WOW! It's funny how in the 5 years since I bought my first felt hat (Akubra Slouch), my taste in style has changed. After my first Slouch, I bought a Cattleman, which I did after hours and days of pouring over the website, deciding between models. The Cattleman looked the most like what I was looking for. Although I still have my Cattleman, and have no plans on parting with it, it took a back seat to my Slouch, so I decided to buy a second Slouch (one size bigger than my first).

Recently I got the hankering for another Akubra, so I went back to the site and started looking again. My two main criteria were that it have a smaller brim (at least slightly) than the Slouch, which is 3.5", and that it be in lighter color. I happened upon the Lightning Ridge, and fell in love with the sand color. But with a 3" brim, I was worried it might not be "enough" smaller than my Slouch, particularly for wearing around town. Out on the trail, the Slouch's brim is excellent. I also wanted to try a crown that was something besides a pinched telescope, since all three of my Akuras have that crown.

So my initial impressions when I received my Lightning Ridge were how incredible the felt looked and felt. The thickness just screams quality, without making the hat feel heavy. The 3" brim width is just perfect! I very much liked the color in person, as I thought I would. I didn't care for the dark leather band with the opal, but that's OK, because I knew I would be replacing it regardless, with a puggaree. I can't help it, I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but to me the pug just screams "adventure" like no other hat band. My wife and daughter both preferred the original hatband, they liked the dark leather contrast.

Another thing I wasn't crazy about was how wide the flat area between the pinches was on the front of the crown. So that's where my modifications began. I removed the liner immediately (I can't stand them), and then I fired up the tea kettle to get to work bashing. I'm pretty confident with the tea kettle after being so happy with how my recent Slouch turned out, when I changed it from a military bash to a pinched telescope. So on my new hat, I deepened and lengthened the side dents, bringing the front to a much narrower pinch. Then I added the puggaree off my Slouch, to see how it would look. I have two more pugs on order, and will use one of the new ones on the Slouch. Now I am in love with the way my new Lightning Ridge looks. I may make one final modification though...since I'll now have 3 good, aftermarket pugs, I think I'm going to use tea to dye one of them, making it a fair bit darker, and then see how I like it on the sand colored Lightning Ridge, for just a bit more contrast.
Sorry for the teaser post without photos. I'll try to get photo or two tomorrow of my new hat, showing the "upgraded":D dents and pinch. I think I may have found my new favorite Akubra. In fact, it probably won't be my last Lightning Ridge...a fawn one is calling my name.

I dislike liners too; that is usually the first modification I make. But I do save them so they can be put back in somewhere down the road.

It sounds like you aren't afraid to take a hat and make it your own! That's one of the good things about the Akubras; they are relatively cheap and are available brand new, so I'm not afraid to do what I want to them, knowing I'm not committing sacrilege on a vintage hat or fine custom.

Good luck!
Regan

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Been thinking about adding some braided stampede strings to one of mine but I just hate to punch two grommet holes. Once punched they are there forever. If you punched your own, any tips on locating them?

Somewhere fairly recently I saw some stampede strings for sale that used a cotter pin inside the sweatband to hold them to the hat. The idea was that you spread the "legs" of the cotter pin out until they were a straight line, with just the eye of the cotter pin hanging down. Then the pin was placed between the sweatband and the felt, and the eye forced down between the loops in the stitching so it stuck out the bottom of the sweatband. that gives you an attachment point for the strings.

That is not the traditional means of attachment, and I'm not sure how secure it is, but I thought it a neat way of trying out strings on a hat that didn't have them without permanently altering the hat. Here in the Appalachians, rain is more of an issue than the persistent high winds that are out in the plains and Rockies, so I don't want self-induced leaks in my brim! I also don't ride horses (much), so my chances of being in a stampede are pretty slim :D. Still, I think the strings would be handy at times, as on Jedi5150's cruise that he posted about a few lines back, and I like the idea of not "damaging" the hat. If I pursue this idea, though, I would track down some stainless steel cotter pins, and I'm sure they would have to be contoured a little bit to keep them from being uncomfortable.

As far as locating the attachment points, my thought is to put the hat on, and get somebody to put small pieces of tape on the brim/crown crease, just ahead of each ear, to mark where you want to attach them.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with!
Regan

Somewhere fairly recently I saw some stampede strings for sale that used a cotter pin inside the sweatband to hold them to the hat. The idea was that you spread the "legs" of the cotter pin out until they were a straight line, with just the eye of the cotter pin hanging down. Then the pin was placed between the sweatband and the felt, and the eye forced down between the loops in the stitching so it stuck out the bottom of the sweatband. that gives you an attachment point for the strings.

That is not the traditional means of attachment, and I'm not sure how secure it is, but I thought it a neat way of trying out strings on a hat that didn't have them without permanently altering the hat. Here in the Appalachians, rain is more of an issue than the persistent high winds that are out in the plains and Rockies, so I don't want self-induced leaks in my brim! I also don't ride horses (much), so my chances of being in a stampede are pretty slim :D. Still, I think the strings would be handy at times, as on Jedi5150's cruise that he posted about a few lines back, and I like the idea of not "damaging" the hat. If I pursue this idea, though, I would track down some stainless steel cotter pins, and I'm sure they would have to be contoured a little bit to keep them from being uncomfortable.

As far as locating the attachment points, my thought is to put the hat on, and get somebody to put small pieces of tape on the brim/crown crease, just ahead of each ear, to mark where you want to attach them.

Regan
Just be aware that the cotterpin method is just not the best & the cotterpin seems to saw on the stitches fore & aft after being bent over. I have a hat bought off eBay that has obvious cut stitches on both sides where the cotterpin went thru even though the hat had no stampede strings when I bought it.

With the proper method the stampede string is a lot longer & will replace the hat band or can be layed over a ribbon. This method puts equal leverage on the brim circumference at the crown.

IMG_9231.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9230.jpg

Not that it makes any difference, in the spirit of full disclosure the hat I'm thinking of adding a stampede string is not an Akubra.

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_9235.JPG

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jack, I have seen cotter pins used to attach stampede strings without punching holes. Just push a cotter pin between the sweat and felt. Spread the pin inside, leaving the loops to attach the string.
Been thinking about adding some braided stampede strings to one of mine but I just hate to punch two grommet holes. Once punched they are there forever. If you punched your own, any tips on locating them?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I missed this before mentioning the cotter pin method. It seems correct that the pin would saw on the stitches.
Just be aware that the cotterpin method is just not the best & the cotterpin seems to saw on the stitches fore & aft after being bent over. I have a hat bought off eBay that has obvious cut stitches on both sides where the cotterpin went thru even though the hat had no stampede strings when I bought it.

With the proper method the stampede string is a lot longer & will replace the hat band or can be layed over a ribbon. This method puts equal leverage on the brim circumference at the crown.

View attachment 140951

View attachment 140949

View attachment 140952

View attachment 140950

Not that it makes any difference, in the spirit of full disclosure the hat I'm thinking of adding a stampede string is not an Akubra.

View attachment 140954

View attachment 140953

View attachment 140955

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As Blackthorn said of himself in a recent post, I've probably watched "Lonesome Dove" twenty times a yr for over twenty yrs. It's interesting to watch just how Tommy Lee Jones as Capt. Woodrow F. Call handles his open crown hat with a stampede string. First of all when removing or putting his hat on I think he always grabs the hat from the back of the brim, never from the front or crown. If he is not mounting his horse & therefore won't be riding, in one fluid motion he swings the stampede string to where it will hang in the back as he puts his hat on. If he is going to be riding, he swings the string to the front while holding the brim from the back. In an interview Tommy Lee Jones said that was something he picked up from watching old-time cowboys, practiced at length & was very deliberate about.

It's also interesting to watch how he removes & handles his hat when meeting a woman for the first time or in seeing one (such as Clara) again after many yrs.

IMG_9236.JPG

Last edited:
Another "Ride with the Devil" fan, I see. Some neat hats in there, and Jewel, too!
Had a chance to be an extra but just couldn't take off that much time from work. Several of my friends were in the film as extras. Filmed in my part of the country I could take you to a lot of locations, several on private property.

I ended up skipping work for 3 days during the filming anyway, it will always be a regret of mine! So many stories!

Forgive this non-Akubra as well. This is my first hat with a stampede string. Wearing it up front will take some getting used to, but snugged up against my skull in the back gives a secure feeling like wearing a trooper hat. Nice to have the option on windy days or precarious situations.

d80a9395ea963bd19e365aad7db4b59a.jpg

4422648d779a26e46d9d9a85fd2195f2.jpg

4426d41624bf347b36bebd41ab0ab571.jpg

1c9359c6b84cbd572a17882d854bb3b3.jpg

3a8c097b5371b6472d1bc467c9fe4b78.jpg

c05d9f12b231a5c8257bf5b0c66ef802.jpg

That hat was worth whatever it cost! Such a great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
I dislike liners too; that is usually the first modification I make. But I do save them so they can be put back in somewhere down the road.

It sounds like you aren't afraid to take a hat and make it your own! That's one of the good things about the Akubras; they are relatively cheap and are available brand new, so I'm not afraid to do what I want to them, knowing I'm not committing sacrilege on a vintage hat or fine custom.

Good luck!
Regan

Thanks Regan! And as promised, here are a couple pictures of my new Lightning Ridge. I don't have the pug on it because I'm dying it with tea right now, but you can see what I did to the bash. I increased the size of the dents and I lengthened the oval, since it was pinching front and back and loose on the sides. Sorry for the cruddy phone pictures, I'll take better shots once I get the puggaree colored:

IMG_1241-XL.jpg

IMG_1239-L.jpg

IMG_1240-L.jpg

I started liking a more pinched crown after seeing John Hickey's:
manhattan-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v7-XL.jpg

Doug

Last edited:

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Thanks Regan! And as promised, here are a couple pictures of my new Lightning Ridge. I don't have the pug on it because I'm dying it with tea right now, but you can see what I did to the bash. I increased the size of the dents and I lengthened the oval, since it was pinching front and back and loose on the sides. Sorry for the cruddy phone pictures, I'll take better shots once I get the puggaree colored:

IMG_1241-XL.jpg

IMG_1239-L.jpg

IMG_1240-L.jpg

I started liking a more pinched crown after seeing John Hickey's:
manhattan-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v7-XL.jpg

Doug
Looks good! I myself wanted a bit more pinch in mine, but I couldn't go too far with it because I tend to wear my hat low enough that my head pushes them out. It turned out better than it was out of the box though. In any case, I can't wait to see pics after you get your pug on it.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

Regan
I use stampede strings on my two hiking hats and they work well. Easy to attach and I either drape it/hang it off the back of the hat when not being used or just tuck it inside the hat. Ebay is a good source. You can go fancy or basic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner