Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

I guess my patience has it's price, no way I would wait 3 months to save $20. For $100, yes! Time is money, so they say.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, but it works to your advantage to save $20 today, making it available to work for you over that 3-month period while waiting for your hat. With a modest rate of return, that $20 could be worth $21 by the time that hat arrives. Plus, you'll have $20 in your pocket in case a cool hat shows up at the antique mall.

Did I just talk econ in a hat thread? Maybe I need to close this Excel spreadsheet and take a walk.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh man, no excel spreadsheets! I retired from tracking dailey project costs! You gave me a bad flashback![emoji16]
Yes, but it works to your advantage to save $20 today, making it available to work for you over that 3-month period while waiting for your hat. With a modest rate of return, that $20 could be worth $21 by the time that hat arrives. Plus, you'll have $20 in your pocket in case a cool hat shows up at the antique mall.

Did I just talk econ in a hat thread? Maybe I need to close this Excel spreadsheet and take a walk.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My latest Camp Draft, in Taupe Fawn.
80b8adad73392970c75f21c47fd443b1.jpg
08505cc9c66eb87b62c36036344ec85c.jpg
429f848db00653fd46f2966bde65e0fc.jpg

Very nice, DD, I'm waiting on one of those fawn CDs myself. It shouldn't be long now!

It’s admirable to be willing to wait, but so many of us are instant gratification types anymore.
I guess my patience has it's price, no way I would wait 3 months to save $20. For $100, yes! Time is money, so they say.[emoji16]
In a "perfect" world where money was no object I might be the same way. I won't bore everyone with the details, but my wife and I have been dealing with a serious financial crisis since the beginning of 2017 and I'm not exaggerating when I say we could be homeless within the next six to nine months if our luck doesn't change for the better soon.

That said, even before this I was the more frugal type. If I wanted to buy something I hadn't bought before I'd research prices and availability online and, all things being equal, would often choose one vendor over another simply because their price for the same item was lower even if the difference was only a few bucks. I was raised in a very "blue collar" family, and my parents taught me the value of every dollar. I'm not a complete tightwad and I'd guess at least a few friends would say my wife and I have been "generous" with our money over the years, but there has never been a moment in my life when I felt comfortable spending more money than I had to. So $20 versus waiting three months? I don't need the hat that badly. ;)

In a "perfect" world where money was no object I might be the same way. I won't bore everyone with the details, but my wife and I have been dealing with a serious financial crisis since the beginning of 2017 and I'm not exaggerating when I say we could be homeless within the next six to nine months if our luck doesn't change for the better soon.

That said, even before this I was the more frugal type. If I wanted to buy something I hadn't bought before I'd research prices and availability online and, all things being equal, would often choose one vendor over another simply because their price for the same item was lower even if the difference was only a few bucks. I was raised in a very "blue collar" family, and my parents taught me the value of every dollar. I'm not a complete tightwad and I'd guess at least a few friends would say my wife and I have been "generous" with our money over the years, but there has never been a moment in my life when I felt comfortable spending more money than I had to. So $20 versus waiting three months? I don't need the hat that badly. ;)

Having Depression-era parents will do that to ya.

Desert dog

Zombie, I seriously hope your luck changes, hang in there! Believe me, I have seen some pretty rough times also. There are much more important things than hats!

Having Depression-era parents will do that to ya.
That's definitely the case here. Mom's parents were somewhat wealthy and somehow managed to survive the Depression financially (for the most part, anyway) but Dad was raised on a farm in Nebraska so his family felt the effects.

Zombie, I seriously hope your luck changes, hang in there! Believe me, I have seen some pretty rough times also. There are much more important things than hats!
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your comments. We'll survive it one way or another, but it ticks me off that circumstances beyond our control could result in us losing almost everything we've built together over the last 37 years. Sadly, that's too common a tale in California these days.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My Taupe Fawn Campdraft finally arrived from Everything Australian. Being off from work for a little while, I had time to start in on it right away.

As received; sorry for the poor lighting but nothing remarkable to show you here. I was a little surprised at how much flange this one had, more than it appears in the picture:

After some steaming, bending, and bashing, it is close to what I prefer. It's not quite tall enough in the crown to get the height I like and still get a really full teardrop crease, but I knew that ahead of time. I still ended up with a respectable 4-3/4" crease height in the front. Not quite done with the fine-tuning on the crease, but it is getting close:

And a scruffy head shot:

Overall I am very well pleased with this hat, especially for what it cost me (although it was a long wait - four months and two weeks). The only thing I am a little disappointed in is the very monochromatic look between the felt, trim, and ribbon on this one. I've seen some photos where the ribbons had a lot more contrast than this one does, so I don't know if that is the difference in batches, or just in the photography. I may find a different ribbon for a little more contrast. The felt is fairly soft on this one, and it has a well-done felt finish and ribbon work. The felt took some steam and handwork to get the shape I wanted, but it appears that it will hold it well. In weight, the felt is thinner than my Akubra Stockman and Adventurer (the David Morgan version), but still seems sturdy and appropriate for the size of brim.

As far as the size... The Akubra size conundrum really rang true with this one - it is HUGE! I have size 62 Akubras that have run all the way from uncomfortably tight out of the box to this one, which makes me glad I have ears to hold the hat up! The other Akubras I have were somewhere between these extremes new out of the box, and fit me pretty well, but none fit the same as any of the others. I had to line the sweatband on this one with a strip of craft foam three-quarters of the way around to take up the "slack", but that is a better problem to have than it being too small, for sure. It may shrink some to fit better, according to what I've read here. ;)

Again, I am very pleased with this hat, and consider it a good value for someone like me who is not educated/developed enough to appreciate the finer points of the vintage hats (which can't normally be found in my pumpkin-head size anyway). I am very glad that Akubra makes these available and that the Australian retailers are so good to work with on international sales.

Y'all take care,
Regan

Desert dog

That really looks good. I like the crease you did, it fits you well.
My Taupe Fawn Campdraft finally arrived from Everything Australian. Being off from work for a little while, I had time to start in on it right away.

As received; sorry for the poor lighting but nothing remarkable to show you here. I was a little surprised at how much flange this one had, more than it appears in the picture:

After some steaming, bending, and bashing, it is close to what I prefer. It's not quite tall enough in the crown to get the height I like and still get a really full teardrop crease, but I knew that ahead of time. I still ended up with a respectable 4-3/4" crease height in the front. Not quite done with the fine-tuning on the crease, but it is getting close:

And a scruffy head shot:

Overall I am very well pleased with this hat, especially for what it cost me (although it was a long wait - four months and two weeks). The only thing I am a little disappointed in is the very monochromatic look between the felt, trim, and ribbon on this one. I've seen some photos where the ribbons had a lot more contrast than this one does, so I don't know if that is the difference in batches, or just in the photography. I may find a different ribbon for a little more contrast. The felt is fairly soft on this one, and it has a well-done felt finish and ribbon work. The felt took some steam and handwork to get the shape I wanted, but it appears that it will hold it well. In weight, the felt is thinner than my Akubra Stockman and Adventurer (the David Morgan version), but still seems sturdy and appropriate for the size of brim.

As far as the size... The Akubra size conundrum really rang true with this one - it is HUGE! I have size 62 Akubras that have run all the way from uncomfortably tight out of the box to this one, which makes me glad I have ears to hold the hat up! The other Akubras I have were somewhere between these extremes new out of the box, and fit me pretty well, but none fit the same as any of the others. I had to line the sweatband on this one with a strip of craft foam three-quarters of the way around to take up the "slack", but that is a better problem to have than it being too small, for sure. It may shrink some to fit better, according to what I've read here. ;)

Again, I am very pleased with this hat, and consider it a good value for someone like me who is not educated/developed enough to appreciate the finer points of the vintage hats (which can't normally be found in my pumpkin-head size anyway). I am very glad that Akubra makes these available and that the Australian retailers are so good to work with on international sales.

Y'all take care,
Regan

And a scruffy head shot:

Y'all take care,
Regan

My Silverbelly and bluegrass Campdrafts fit fine, but my taupe fawn in the same size is big on me too. Strange.

Your shaping is great and you wear it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Taupe Fawn Campdraft finally arrived from Everything Australian...The only thing I am a little disappointed in is the very monochromatic look between the felt, trim, and ribbon on this one. I've seen some photos where the ribbons had a lot more contrast than this one does, so I don't know if that is the difference in batches, or just in the photography. I may find a different ribbon for a little more contrast...
The Campdraft is a relatively monochromatic hat, but in my experience lighting can bring out more or less contrast between the felt and the ribbon/brim binding. In subdued indoor lighting there's very little contrast on my Taupe Fawn, but direct sunlight tends to make the ribbon and binding appear darker with a more reddish brown hue. This happens on my Silverbelly and Bluegrass Green Campdrafts as well, but to a much lesser degree.

I like the crease you put into yours, and I think it suits you very well! If you do decide to replace the ribbon, please post photos.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My Silverbelly and bluegrass Campdrafts fit fine, but my taupe fawn in the same size is big on me too. Strange.
Your shaping is great and you wear it well.

The Campdraft is a relatively monochromatic hat, but in my experience lighting can bring out more or less contrast between the felt and the ribbon/brim binding. In subdued indoor lighting there's very little contrast on my Taupe Fawn, but direct sunlight tends to make the ribbon and binding appear darker with a more reddish brown hue. This happens on my Silverbelly and Bluegrass Green Campdrafts as well, but to a much lesser degree.

I like the crease you put into yours, and I think it suits you very well! If you do decide to replace the ribbon, please post photos.

Thanks, gentlemen, I really appreciate the kind words.

DH, maybe the fawn colors shrink extra or they leave room to grow into, who knows? But it is interesting that you experienced the same thing with that particular color.

Zombie, thanks for the feedback on the colors. Mine seems to be pretty uniform no matter the light. Not a bad thing, just a comment on how tough it is to judge colors based on photos. If I do come up with a better ribbon color for it I will keep you posted!

Take care!
Regan

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
I’m not yet willing to admit I have an addiction, but a Sand colored Lightning Ridge is in my VERY near future... :D

Now I’ll patiently wait for you kind folks to talk me out of it...I know you wouldn’t want to contribute to my delinquency. ;)

PS-Woodtroll, that Campdraft does look excellent on you. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch