Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've been through the dreaded three-month Akubra wait a couple of times, and yeah, it can be tension-inducing.

But I think we should accentuate the positive here: Akubra will custom-make a whole bunch of their models in the color and size you want at no additional cost, just additional time for them to do it. Does any other modern production company offer a service anything like this, much less for hats that only cost somewhere around a hundred dollars?!?

It's one of the things I love about Akubra.

I've been through the dreaded three-month Akubra wait a couple of times, and yeah, it can be tension-inducing.

But I think we should accentuate the positive here: Akubra will custom-make a whole bunch of their models in the color and size you want at no additional cost, just additional time for them to do it. Does any other modern production company offer a service anything like this, much less for hats that only cost somewhere around a hundred dollars?!?

You've done this? I thought there would be some kind of minimum order to get that done.

Please tell me I can get a black CD!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No, I didn't mean that you can order ANY hat in ANY color. I just meant that with their three-month factory production cycle, a much wider variety is available than simply their popular and commonly stocked models.

I didn't mean a la carte custom made for every possible configuration. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Akubra will custom-make a whole bunch of their models in the color and size you want at no additional cost, just additional time for them to do it. Does any other modern production company offer a service anything like this, much less for hats that only cost somewhere around a hundred dollars?!?

I'm curious about this as well; how do you go about obtaining this custom work? Working through Everything Australian, I have asked about custom touches I thought would be simple things, like a different ribbon or just leaving the edge binding off of a Campdraft, and have been told, "Akubra says No" each time I asked.

Heck, I'm four months and a week into my wait on a plain old fawn Campdraft, and it still hasn't even hit US customs yet. Not sure how long a "custom" order would take.

With all that said, I do still think that the Akubras are a fine hat for what I want a hat for, and a great value for the money. I'm just not likely to order anything that isn't in stock. ;)

EDIT: I see that you replied while I was typing; thanks for the follow-up!

No, I didn't mean that you can order ANY hat in ANY color. I just meant that with their three-month factory production cycle, a much wider variety is available than simply their popular and commonly stocked models.

I didn't mean a la carte custom made for every possible configuration. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Well, Doc, my excitement got the better of me there, too. [emoji4]

Perhaps you could intervene with the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth to get them to do a black CD production run?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

...Akubra will custom-make a whole bunch of their models in the color and size you want at no additional cost, just additional time for them to do it...
I think the term "make to order" rather than "custom-make" would be more accurate. Yes, in the past they have occasionally produced "Fedora Lounge" versions of one of their hats that were slightly customized, but otherwise they're making one of their regular production hats simply to fill my/your/our order(s).

But I understand the intent of your post. Order an out-of-stock Stetson, and the response would likely be, "Sorry, you'll have to wait until we make more; we'll let you know." Damn nice of Akubra to narrow that time frame down to three months (give or take).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You're right Al, "made to order" is much more accurate. I'm sorry to have misled folks!

With all the obvious interest in a black Campdraft, somebody should write to Sam at EA and see how many hats it would take to come up with a special order run. (I myself am not interested, I can't wear a black hat without immediately being mistaken for an ultra-Orthodox Jew... when I'm merely a lapsed Reform!)

scotiez

New in Town
Hello, and welcome to The Lounge! I think your new Banjo Paterson really suits you, and will likely become a long-time companion.
Thank you all for the great welcome into the forum. I really do like the banjo Paterson, I can even wear it in the car without hitting the head rest. I just ordered a second banjo Paterson in heritage fawn. I already know these are going to be my favorite hats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have bought four Camp drafts from the hattery. All have arrived in 8-10 days. A little more cost but worth it to me. They don't carry bluegrass green though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
And I'm exactly the opposite: I'd rather pay less and wait an extra week or two. I haven't dealt with HatsDirect/The Hattery since I got my Fed III 15 years ago, all my half-dozen Akubras since have been ordered from Everything Australian or other dealers.

And scotiez, my most recent Akubra is a Leisure Time in Regency Fawn - the same shape as the Banjo Patterson, but with different finishing:

phoneLeisureTimeSelfie2.jpg

Last edited:

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't ordered from EA, but if I want a bluegrass green I will order from them. The exchange rate is making them a good deal. I noticed the U.S. cost dropping by a few dollars the past couple weeks.
And I'm exactly the opposite: I'd rather pay a lot less and wait an extra week or two. I haven't dealt with HatsDirect/The Hattery since I got my Fed III 15 years ago, all my half-dozen Akubras since have been ordered from Everything Australian or other dealers.

And scotiez, my most recent Akubra is a Leisure Time in Regency Fawn - the same shape as the Banjo Patterson, but with different finishing:

View attachment 140018

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have bought four Camp drafts from the hattery. All have arrived in 8-10 days. A little more cost but worth it to me. They don't carry bluegrass green though.
The Campdraft in Bluegrass Green is exclusive to Everything Australian. If they have your size in stock, their shipping times are about the same as Hats Direct/The Hattery. I've ordered and received excellent service from both, and won't hesitate to order from them again when finances permit. All things being equal, I prefer to order from E.A. simply because their prices are lower; I have no problems with waiting two or three months if it means not spending $20-$30 needlessly. :D

The Campdraft in Bluegrass Green is exclusive to Everything Australian. If they have your size in stock, their shipping times are about the same as Hats Direct/The Hattery. I've ordered and received excellent service from both, and won't hesitate to order from them again when finances permit. All things being equal, I prefer to order from E.A. simply because their prices are lower; I have no problems with waiting two or three months if it means not spending $20-$30 needlessly. :D

It’s admirable to be willing to wait, but so many of us are instant gratification types anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21