Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Cotton does shrink! and potentially the felt, to some degree!
True, to a point. Jared is right--when we here on The Lounge discuss Akubra hats and shrinkage, we're referring primarily to the leather sweatbands they use. In conjunction with that, the felt doesn't really shrink but, being attached to the sweatband, is drawn in a bit as the leather shrinks.

I didn't even know until now that Akubra used cotton material for some of their sweatbands, and I can't recall ever having seen a discussion about them. I'd suggest you contact Akubra directly to ask them whether or not their cotton sweatbands shrink and, if they do, how much.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
How much should I expect an Akubra Traveller to shrink? I am a 58 and I like a slightly looser rather than tighter fit. I know Akubra are made with some shrinkage in mind, so they start a bit loose and end exactly on the mark. How does that work with the pliofelt and cotton sweatband?
I would have to think that the cotton would shrink some, but how much is the question. I have two hats that have cotton sweats, and they've both seen a lot of sweat, dirt and rain. The first one is a SunBody. They say that their sweats shrink up to 1%. I ordered my regular size. If I wasn't paying any attention to it, I probably wouldn't have noticed any shrinkage. The only shrinkage I noticed was minute and the hat fits perfectly fine. My other hat is a cotton Red Head. I've owned it for a few years, and I would have to say that it generally fits the same now as it did when I bought it. I know it's somewhat of an apples and oranges comparison, but that's my experience with cotton sweats.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

I would have to think that the cotton would shrink some, but how much is the question. I have two hats that have cotton sweats, and they've both seen a lot of sweat, dirt and rain. The first one is a SunBody. They say that their sweats shrink up to 1%. I ordered my regular size. If I wasn't paying any attention to it, I probably wouldn't have noticed any shrinkage. The only shrinkage I noticed was minute and the hat fits perfectly fine...
I did notice a small amount of shrinkage with my Sunbody; it went from "ever-so-slightly too loose" to "ever-so-slightly too snug" after I soaked and shaped it; fortunately, wearing it has made it more comfortable. Strangely, I have three ball caps with cotton sweatbands, and they haven't shrunk a bit. I wonder what the difference is?

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I did notice a small amount of shrinkage with my Sunbody; it went from "ever-so-slightly too loose" to "ever-so-slightly too snug" after I soaked and shaped it; fortunately, wearing it has made it more comfortable. Strangely, I have three ball caps with cotton sweatbands, and they haven't shrunk a bit. I wonder what the difference is?
I haven't a clue. I will say that I don't notice much shrinking with my cotton ball caps, but my wool ones definitely do.

Since I was paying attention, I did notice my SunBody went from being a tad loose to fits just right. It wasn't enough though that if I were ignorant to the shrinkage that I would have noticed it.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
65df1d6e8471aa8c30954c4b28f18df2.jpg

Angler. You can't tell but it's soaking wet because I'm stretching it. Shrunk just a tad too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I almost always get compliments when I wear this modified SBCD. And a lot of the compliments & questions come from ballcap guys.

View attachment 136287

Rightly so, that’s a good looking hat. Looks like your modifications were to swap the hatband ribbon and remove the brim ribbon? I’m surprised that the stitching holes look like a neat design rather than looking bad/unfinished as I would have expected; I like it!

Rightly so, that’s a good looking hat. Looks like your modifications were to swap the hatband ribbon and remove the brim ribbon? I’m surprised that the stitching holes look like a neat design rather than looking bad/unfinished as I would have expected; I like it!
Thanks but I bought this hat pretty much LNIB and it had no brim binding. The brim had more of an Outback flange to it & a 2-cord ribbon. It had originally been sold at a hat store in the US. I called the store but only learned from a current employee that they used to sell Akubra but no longer do. So I don't really know if the store had CD's made to their own specs or whether this was a version tried by Akubra. The sweat & liner are the same ones still in use, Imperial Quality.

I sent it to BOND & Scott flanged the brim & did a single circle brim stitch for me in the same color to match a frayed mid ribbon. With a center crease I sometimes think of it as a Playboy clone.

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks but I bought this hat pretty much LNIB and it had no brim binding. The brim had more of an Outback flange to it & a 2-cord ribbon. It had originally been sold at a hat store in the US. I called the store but only learned from a current employee that they used to sell Akubra but no longer do. So I don't really know if the store had CD's made to their own specs or whether this was a version tried by Akubra. The sweat & liner are the same ones still in use, Imperial Quality.

I sent it to BOND & Scott flanged the brim & did a single circle brim stitch for me in the same color to match a frayed mid ribbon. With a center crease I sometimes think of it as a Playboy clone.

View attachment 136327

View attachment 136329

View attachment 136330

View attachment 136328

Thanks for the reply, Jack, and the additional pictures. I can see now that the brim has stitching and not just holes. I thought all CDs had brim binding, so assumed you had just taken the ribbon off. I guess you did find one of a special run for somebody. I really like that overall look - not too casual, not too dressy.

^ *sigh* I'm going to guess Bluegrass Green, but the second and third photos lead me to believe it could be Taupe Fawn. Regardless, I like the way you creased it and I think it suits you!

Streak

New in Town
All you Akubra owners. I'm about to buy my first fur/felt hat. Either a territory or a riverina. Leaning towards the riverina because the felt is a bit thinner.

I live in SoCal with pretty much warm weather year around. My main hat is my Tilley LTM2 with its huge brim. I have sensitive skin. My question is although these hats are designed for use in the hot Ausie outback would I not find one of these hats too hot to wear in this climate? I do sweat quite a bit.

Secondly what are your thoughts in the Akubra chin strap? I would hate to lose the hat to a gust of wind.

Lastly, do any of the USA dealers price match the Ausie direct prices?

Many thanks.

All you Akubra owners. I'm about to buy my first fur/felt hat. Either a territory or a riverina. Leaning towards the riverina because the felt is a bit thinner.

I live in SoCal with pretty much warm weather year around. My main hat is my Tilley LTM2 with its huge brim. I have sensitive skin. My question is although these hats are designed for use in the hot Ausie outback would I not find one of these hats too hot to wear in this climate? I do sweat quite a bit...
I'm a little north of you, just east of downtown Los Angeles. I have six Akubras; three Campdrafts and three Fed IVs. They definitely get warm when the temperatures run high, but none of mine have the grommet vents like the Riverina or Territory. Some here say those vents make a difference, others not so much. I have rather pale skin myself, though I wouldn't call it "sensitive". But I've already had some cancer carved off of my nose, so my perspective is that it's easier to wash off a little sweat now and then than to have a doctor cut cancer off of you. So I've worn my Akubras in 100+°F weather and got more than a little sweatty, but it's better than another trip to the doctor.

You'll save yourself some money if you order your hat from Everything Australian. They carry both the Riverina and the Territory, and their prices are lower than Hats Direct. I've received excellent service from both, so that shouldn't be a concern.

You might also consider a Sunbody hat if you haven't already. They're heavier than most other "straw" hats, but not quite as warm as fur felt hats and offer decent protection from the sun (UPF 50+). They're a little rough around the edges, but if you're in the market for a casual/work straw hat (Guatemalan palm leaf, actually) you could do worse.

...Secondly what are your thoughts in the Akubra chin strap? I would hate to lose the hat to a gust of wind...
Never had much use for 'em myself, but if it came down to using one or risk losing my hat I'd choose the chin strap.

...Lastly, do any of the USA dealers price match the Ausie direct prices?
I haven't found any, but if you do please let us know. In my experience, even after adding shipping costs from Australia to the U.S. both Everything Australian and Hats Direct are less expensive than any U.S. dealers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana