Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Streak

New in Town
Hi Al,
Many thanks for the great reply. Pity I cant find anywhere here where I can go and try on both hats. VHS has the territory online, I must call and see if any of their stores have it. At least than I can get some sort of idea. Excited at the prospects of getting my first western style hat. I have always worn hats but the current interest started after watching all of the seasons of Justified.

Have a great weekend.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
^ *sigh* I'm going to guess Bluegrass Green, but the second and third photos lead me to believe it could be Taupe Fawn. Regardless, I like the way you creased it and I think it suits you!

Zombie if that reply was to me it's the Fawn and thanks regarding the crease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Al,
Many thanks for the great reply. Pity I cant find anywhere here where I can go and try on both hats. VHS has the territory online, I must call and see if any of their stores have it. At least than I can get some sort of idea. Excited at the prospects of getting my first western style hat. I have always worn hats but the current interest started after watching all of the seasons of Justified.

Have a great weekend.
Trying a hat on before you buy is always preferable regardless of whether it's new or used. Just in case you aren't familiar with Akubra hats, one thing to remember is that they should fit at least a little loose when they're brand new because the sweatband will shrink somewhat when you start wearing it; this seems to be unique to Akubra because of the leather(s) they use. Example:

KZjYKM6.jpg

This is their standard/Imperial Grade Fed IV in Tawny Fawn. As you can see, when I got it I could pull it down until my head filled the crown, but after wearing it for about a week it conformed to my head for a nice comfortable fit. So if it's a perfect fit right out of the box or off the shelf, odds are you'll need to go up one size or have a Hat Jack handy to stretch it out a bit if it gets too snug. Their deluxe/Heritage Grade hats shrink a lot less, but should still be a little loose when they're brand new.

Zombie if that reply was to me it's the Fawn and thanks regarding the crease!
Yes it was, and you're very welcome!

All you Akubra owners. I'm about to buy my first fur/felt hat. Either a territory or a riverina. Leaning towards the riverina because the felt is a bit thinner.

I live in SoCal with pretty much warm weather year around. My main hat is my Tilley LTM2 with its huge brim. I have sensitive skin. My question is although these hats are designed for use in the hot Ausie outback would I not find one of these hats too hot to wear in this climate? I do sweat quite a bit.

Secondly what are your thoughts in the Akubra chin strap? I would hate to lose the hat to a gust of wind.

Lastly, do any of the USA dealers price match the Ausie direct prices?

Many thanks.

Zombie gave you great information. I’d add that you might look at a second Akubra in hemp or even polypropylene. I personally feel that the lighter and well-vented polypropylene Akubras are cooler wearing than the hemp (the Akubra Country Club is a favorite of mine). Good luck and post photos when you receive your hat(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zombie gave you great information. I’d add that you might look at a second Akubra in hemp or even polypropylene. I personally feel that the lighter and well-vented polypropylene Akubras are cooler wearing than the hemp (the Akubra Country Club is a favorite of mine). Good luck and post photos when you receive your hat(s).
Great suggestion. For whatever reason I always forget Akubra makes hemp and polypropylene hats, probably because they don't seem to get as much attention here as the fur felt hats...and because I don't own one yet.

Roadopen

One of the Regulars
My brother in law left his Snowy River for some brim work. Thought I would add my wife's Pastoralist to my two Camp drafts and two Stockman, for a group photo.
b4867b5ecf6da22511f671df6ff06017.jpg
d113e07f25a3b442dc2b5b8f885686c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hey Dd,
The two hat on the topin pictures on the hat stand steals the cake for me!
Specially the two having a different color!
Just perfect for me! ......errr I mean you! Hehe!
Cheers!
Roadopen

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All you Akubra owners. I'm about to buy my first fur/felt hat. Either a territory or a riverina. Leaning towards the riverina because the felt is a bit thinner.

I live in SoCal with pretty much warm weather year around. My main hat is my Tilley LTM2 with its huge brim. I have sensitive skin. My question is although these hats are designed for use in the hot Ausie outback would I not find one of these hats too hot to wear in this climate? I do sweat quite a bit.

Secondly what are your thoughts in the Akubra chin strap? I would hate to lose the hat to a gust of wind.

Lastly, do any of the USA dealers price match the Ausie direct prices?

Many thanks.
Have you checked out the Peters Brothers hemps? They're a small outfit in Ft.Worth that's been there forever and are mostly known for their Western hats, but a number of us here on the Lounge have gotten their hemps and, speaking for myself, have been very pleased. They go for about $150.00, are very light, and you can pretty much design the hat yourself. I've got three of them now, all in different colors, but all in the same style. You can find a thread on them by typing "Peters Bros." in the Search function. Anyway, good luck.

RJR

Have you checked out the Peters Brothers hemps? They're a small outfit in Ft.Worth that's been there forever and are mostly known for their Western hats, but a number of us here on the Lounge have gotten their hemps and, speaking for myself, have been very pleased. They go for about $150.00, are very light, and you can pretty much design the hat yourself. I've got three of them now, all in different colors, but all in the same style. You can find a thread on them by typing "Peters Bros." in the Search function. Anyway, good luck.
Good recommendation;I have two of them.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good recommendation;I have two of them.
I've always been surprised that more members don't look into them. They're a Godsend for me, as it's pretty hard to find anything in straw or hemp for a 63 cm noggin, and with them I can not only order my favorite style (Stratoliner) but choose the brim width and crown height I prefer. Best deal around, particularly at that price. I've always liked the Akubras, but they don't offer anything in straw or hemp over a 62.

I saw this in the description of a Banjo Patterson for sale on eBay:

“Size is marked as 61, if you are not familiar with centimeter sizing this is equivalent to a 7 5/8
My hat size is currently 60 and this one is a bit too small for me - so I am guessing it is truly a size 59 - 7 3/8.”

What do you think @Zombie_61
Maybe we should have an Akubra sizing discussion. [emoji1]

I saw this in the description of a Banjo Patterson for sale on eBay:

“Size is marked as 61, if you are not familiar with centimeter sizing this is equivalent to a 7 5/8
My hat size is currently 60 and this one is a bit too small for me - so I am guessing it is truly a size 59 - 7 3/8.”

What do you think @Zombie_61
Maybe we should have an Akubra sizing discussion. [emoji1]
Oh yeah, let's definitely beat that dead horse again. :D

I found that listing. For that low starting price, if I believed for a moment that it truly was "a bit" smaller than size 60 I might bid on it myself. But I don't. Besides, I really don't care for the color.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Well, the fawn Campdraft that I ordered 03 June finally reached Eveything Australian and has been shipped this morning. It was advertised as “custom made, leaves factory in 3 months”, yet it took almost exactly 4 months to reach EA, and I guess it will take at least a couple weeks to reach me here in the US. I’m glad I didn’t wait until cool weather to order this hat!

I like the couple of Akubra hats I have and the price is certainly decent, but I will not make the mistake of ordering another that is not in stock, especially since they charge your card when you place the order.

Well, the fawn Campdraft that I ordered 03 June finally reached Eveything Australian and has been shipped this morning. It was advertised as “custom made, leaves factory in 3 months”, yet it took almost exactly 4 months to reach EA, and I guess it will take at least a couple weeks to reach me here in the US. I’m glad I didn’t wait until cool weather to order this hat!
Mine have taken as few as four days to make that trip, and as many as ten once because the hat sat immobile in a Customs office somewhere at Los Angeles International Airport for four days. o_O But I'm on the west coast of the U.S. and a little closer to Australia than you so, Customs delays aside, it really depends on how the carrier routes the parcel.

I like the couple of Akubra hats I have and the price is certainly decent, but I will not make the mistake of ordering another that is not in stock, especially since they charge your card when you place the order.
I'd rather they charge me when I place the order, because at least I know those funds are available at that moment. Three to four months from now, who knows?

Woodtroll

One Too Many
You're right, Customs is the kicker in international shipping. I've only bought a couple things that had to go through Customs; one took only a couple days, the other almost ten days. Neither was during a holiday season, both were through NY, so who knows?

As far as payment, I guess I see it as an agreement between myself and the man/entity who takes my money. You take my money, I expect you to keep your word. Now a hat is certainly not a necessity and it's been too hot for felt to this point anyway, so it's not that big a deal, but again it's a lesson learned for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the hat will fit; I've heard they shrink sometimes. ;) I did order the same size as my other Akubras so that shouldn't be an issue, but with all the discussion about the sweatband shrinking recently I just couldn't resist!

scotiez

New in Town
Hi I am new to this forum and to Akubra Hats. In the past i have primarily wore Stetson or Resistol western hats. But i wanted a change up and purchased my 1st Akubra Hat, the Banjo Paterson. I have to say this is the 1st hat i have ever purchased that needs no adjustment to be comfortable on my head. I will be purchasing more of this brand in the future.
IMG_20181012_055824 (2).jpg

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Hi I am new to this forum and to Akubra Hats. In the past i have primarily wore Stetson or Resistol western hats. But i wanted a change up and purchased my 1st Akubra Hat, the Banjo Paterson. I have to say this is the 1st hat i have ever purchased that needs no adjustment to be comfortable on my head. I will be purchasing more of this brand in the future. View attachment 139673

Welcome to the Lounge! Nice hat, I like that model. You wear it well. The Akubras are not in the "fine dress hat" class that you often see displayed here on the Lounge, but I have several and I like them. I think they are a very good value for the money. I hope you get lots of use out of it!

Hi I am new to this forum and to Akubra Hats. In the past i have primarily wore Stetson or Resistol western hats. But i wanted a change up and purchased my 1st Akubra Hat, the Banjo Paterson. I have to say this is the 1st hat i have ever purchased that needs no adjustment to be comfortable on my head. I will be purchasing more of this brand in the future. View attachment 139673

Welcome! Akubra makes durable hats in some great styles. You wear your well. I hope you stick around the Lounge and get to show us your other hats.

Hi I am new to this forum and to Akubra Hats. In the past i have primarily wore Stetson or Resistol western hats. But i wanted a change up and purchased my 1st Akubra Hat, the Banjo Paterson. I have to say this is the 1st hat i have ever purchased that needs no adjustment to be comfortable on my head. I will be purchasing more of this brand in the future.
Hello, and welcome to The Lounge! I think your new Banjo Paterson really suits you, and will likely become a long-time companion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points