Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

First, welcome to The Lounge Beef!

I agree with Fruno about Akubra hats and sizing. I have six Akubras; three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts, all size 60. After the expected "shrink to fit" period the Fed IVs all fit the same and the Campdrafts all fit the same, but the Campdrafts were approximately half a size more snug. Using a hat jack to stretch the Campdrafts a bit corrected that, but they're still just a little more snug than the Fed IVs. *shrug* That seems to be the nature of the beast with Akubra where sizing is more art than science, but I like my Akubras and can live with it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Beef and Cornshucker77 like this.
  2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Hey, I'm an engineer, not an accountant.

What are your feelings on Jerry Reed? Donna Reed?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. Fedster

Fedster Familiar Face

My feelings are the same as the ones that people have for wikipedia pages -- I had never heard of either person ;)

For me, at the price of a 5 minutes cutters/pliers job I get to enjoy for the life of the hat the assets of Akubra hats without any of the liabilities. :D

dkstott and Mark70 like this.
  4. Mark70

Mark70 New in Town

Regardless of whether you like or don't like the wire, its nice to know this is an option that may save unnecessary returns.

Thank you Fedster for providing this most useful information, that's what makes this forum awesome!

5. Beef

Beef New in Town

Fedster, Thank you tons for the information (and thanks to everyone who replied to the "new guy"). I am really happy to have found this forum. I am 97.6% sure I am going to try this on one of the hats to start, but before I did, I wanted to ask if in your experience the hat becomes "floppy" or misshapen after a while without the reed or does it reduce the life of the hat? Thanks again.

dkstott, Zombie_61 and Rmccamey like this.
  6. Fedster

Fedster Familiar Face

My Akubra is *exactly the same* as it was before, after all the shape and feel are given by the felt, not by the wire.

If you do not want to sell the hat and you cannot return it, removing the wire and gentle stretching on a hat jack and your head *might* be enough. Keep in mind the leather tends to shrink, though I found that keeping the hat on a jack when not worn, and some friendly but firm stretching do wonders.

PS basically, if you see the hat as a 'sunk cost' you might as well give it a go, nothing to lose anymore.

dkstott, Zombie_61, Jedi5150 and 2 others like this.
  7. Beef

Beef New in Town

Thanks again. I really appreciate your opinion and will likely give it a whirl on one of the two hats, and if I like it, I'll do it on both since the hat jack and steaming are not quite doing the job. Thanks to everyone for the advice and for helping me to understand the risks and benefits.

dkstott, Zombie_61 and Jedi5150 like this.
  8. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Familiar Face

I may do the same thing, provided my hat even has the wire in it. One of my Slouch hats I've tried stretching and steaming on more than one occasion, and it still won't get quite loose enough for me to find comfortable. And although I have tried selling it in the classified section, the price has dropped (with no takers) to a point that I feel like I'm just throwing away money. If it has the removable wire, I might try giving that a shot.

Zombie_61 and Beef like this.
  9. scottslatton

scottslatton New in Town

My Fed IV[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. Beef

Beef New in Town

Hatwire.jpg HatCut.jpg Well, I went for it. And just like Fedster said, there was an unstretchable wire inside. I honestly felt a difference immediately, even before using the hat stretcher for the night. When the wire was inside, it exerted a lot more pressure at the front and after a few minutes of wear I could feel my heartbeat on my forehead where the red spot would form. If I can feel the difference already, I am excited to see how it will feel after a night in the stretcher. I have attached a couple photos so you can see the actual wire, and the spot where I removed it. I'll probably see if I can throw a couple of stitches on it, but the spot is so tiny, I'm not sure I even have a needle small enough. After I see how this settles in, I am certain I will do the same thing to the Fawn Cattleman. Thanks Fedster!

dkstott, TunedVWGti, DRB and 5 others like this.
  11. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Familiar Face

I appreciate the photos and your opinion on it. In looking closer, I don't believe my Slouch has that wire in it. I do, on the other hand, think my Cattleman does. I've been trying to shrink the size of my Akubra collection (without success). If I keep my Cattleman I might do the same.

dkstott likes this.
  12. Fedster

Fedster Familiar Face

My pleasure, glad I was of some help.

dkstott likes this.
  13. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Familiar Face

Looking very dapper, Scott, and welcome to the forum!

14. andrew_AU

andrew_AU A-List Customer

Yes Hats By The Hundred and Australian Gear are the same business. They have two retail shops
    https://www.hatsbythe100.com.au/retail-store/

15. Streak

Streak New in Town

Well I eventually pulled the trigger on a Tablelands. I figured that the crown height on the Blue Mountains would also not suit my face. I have ordered the brown olive version. Due to the Xmas shutdown of the Akubra factory it has not shipped yet. So now I have to play the waiting game. I look forward to posting some photos after I get it. Thanks very much to all of you who helped with my indecisiveness!!!

16. DaveProc

DaveProc One of the Regulars

Fed IV today on this beautiful sunny 40 degree New England day.

Attached Files:

17. sila

sila New in Town

18. D00R

D00R One of the Regulars

Does anyone own both the Campdraft in Cedar Brown and the R.M Williams Fedora in brown?

Is there a difference in color and brim size and crown size? Im torn on which one to order.

19. rclark

rclark Call Me a Cab

Yes. The cedar brown is slightly darker than the RM but hardly noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Assuming you're referring to the "Akubra RM Hat" listed on the R.M. Williams website, I don't own one but I've read it's essentially a Campdraft with an unflanged/flat brim that arches downward in front and back like an "outback" style hat. If that's true, and someone here will likely correct me if I'm wrong, the brim and crown size are the same as the Campdraft.