Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
The Camp Draft in Silver Belly arrived from Down Under today. Ordered on Sunday and arrived in Seattle on Thursday. I'm wearing it around to shape the sweat before I put a steam-bash on it. But I couldn't help but give it a couple of shapely curves here and there, for fun
3CD 1st Drybash-3.jpg
2CD 2nd Drybash.jpg

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
The Camp Draft in Silver Belly arrived from Down Under today.
Wow that looks great. Can I ask a question about the colour? In the photo it appears to be close to a colour I would call "taupe" (grey and tan blend) rather than the cool steel grey that I've seen some makers call "silverbelly". I know online photos can be deceptive. How might you describe the colour? Thanks!

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
I experienced a true AKUBRA OVERLOAD yesterday!

I work at Disneyland. We see people from all over the world every day. I've seen many an Australian wearing an Akubra- it's a fairly common sight.

So yesterday I saw a group of Australian youngsters wearing matching yellow shirts and backpacks with a cool-looking kangaroo motif pattern, and one of them was wearing an Akubra Cattleman in Fawn. In and of itself this wasn't unusual.

A while later another group walked by, all wearing the matching yellow shirts and backpacks, and TWO of them were wearing Akubra Cattlemen in Fawn!

Later still a much larger group, 30 or 40 kids with some adults, came by wearing the same outfits, around half of them wearing the same Akubras. I mentioned to one of the adults "I see many of you wearing Akubra Cattlemen".

She replied "yes, we bought 800 of them for the trip."

That's staggering to me. Can you imagine being the Akubra stockist who received the order for 800 Cattlemen in Fawn?

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
Wow that looks great. Can I ask a question about the colour? In the photo it appears to be close to a colour I would call "taupe" (grey and tan blend) rather than the cool steel grey that I've seen some makers call "silverbelly". I know online photos can be deceptive. How might you describe the colour? Thanks!
This is the first time my eyes have seen silver belly outside a computer monitor for years. My CD is a creamy off-white, with a definite tan shade to it. The color reminds me of a good cup of coffee with too much cream in it. Hope that helps.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
This rare bird finally arrived today, the Akubra Cockatoo 1035:
IMG_20190808_140836012.jpg IMG_20190808_140855494.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1418.JPG
Specs:
2-5/8" Brim
5-1/2" Crown (Open)
9/16" Band
4.9oz Weight
There are a few scant references on TFL and only a handful more across the Internet. Given the scarcity I reached out to both the retailer and Akubra directly to see if either could offer some more information on this hat. The retailer ignored my request but Akubra has taken an interest. I have exchanged a few emails with a manager from their sales department who has been there almost 40 years, but even she is a bit perplexed by this model. The only thing that has been identified is that it was sold for foreign (US) market. With the hat now in hand I have supplied the above pics and am hoping for a bit of clarity to this mystery.

This rare bird finally arrived today, the Akubra Cockatoo 1035:
View attachment 179953 View attachment 179954 View attachment 179955 View attachment 179956
Specs:
2-5/8" Brim
5-1/2" Crown (Open)
9/16" Band
4.9oz Weight
There are a few scant references on TFL and only a handful more across the Internet. Given the scarcity I reached out to both the retailer and Akubra directly to see if either could offer some more information on this hat. The retailer ignored my request but Akubra has taken an interest. I have exchanged a few emails with a manager from their sales department who has been there almost 40 years, but even she is a bit perplexed by this model. The only thing that has been identified is that it was sold for foreign (US) market. With the hat now in hand I have supplied the above pics and am hoping for a bit of clarity to this mystery.
My first impression was that of the Down Under but the DU is a 3" RE x5-1/2" OC. Blocking does appear to be the same.

Look forward to what you & the manager discover.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
758a1709cd2e4c52216a882a09f6ebf8.jpg

Here’s a shot for color comparisons. From far left CW: Zephyr (natural), Stockman (sand), Boomerang (rodeo brown I think), a non Akubra Snowy River clone (gray), Lawson (Loden), Cattleman (fawn).

I’ll be selling the Zephyr (57), Boomerang (57), Lawson (58), and Cattleman (57). PM me if you’re interested.

I really like the Stockman! Present and future me:
1892b9e4d2d2a0ef351f4e7cdfcbcc2f.jpg
ae7d9607d41feb39bf1b09d4951c23a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree with all of you--Akubra's Silverbelly is definitely more "tan" than "gray".

cge5cOq.jpg
One thing I've noticed is that not only is the tan shade of the Silverbelly almost always inaccurately reproduced on my computer screen but so is the color of the ribbon, which is a nice light green in reality that nicely compliments the tan.

One thing I've noticed is that not only is the tan shade of the Silverbelly almost always inaccurately reproduced on my computer screen but so is the color of the ribbon, which is a nice light green in reality that nicely compliments the tan.
I've given up on trying to figure out which color the ribbon and binding actually are on my Silverbelly Campdraft. Sometimes they appear to be tan, sometimes green, sometimes sort of brassy, or anywhere in between.
PzV1uhC.gif

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I experienced a true AKUBRA OVERLOAD yesterday!

I work at Disneyland. We see people from all over the world every day. I've seen many an Australian wearing an Akubra- it's a fairly common sight.

So yesterday I saw a group of Australian youngsters wearing matching yellow shirts and backpacks with a cool-looking kangaroo motif pattern, and one of them was wearing an Akubra Cattleman in Fawn. In and of itself this wasn't unusual.

A while later another group walked by, all wearing the matching yellow shirts and backpacks, and TWO of them were wearing Akubra Cattlemen in Fawn!

Later still a much larger group, 30 or 40 kids with some adults, came by wearing the same outfits, around half of them wearing the same Akubras. I mentioned to one of the adults "I see many of you wearing Akubra Cattlemen".

She replied "yes, we bought 800 of them for the trip."

That's staggering to me. Can you imagine being the Akubra stockist who received the order for 800 Cattlemen in Fawn?
It is not that unusual. All of our schools have a "sun smart" policy. During our summer months children must wear a hat when playing outdoors. Many schools have Akubra as part of the school uniform. But I suspect they order from Akubra Corporate Direct rather than a retail stockist

Last edited:

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Does anyone else here wish that Akubra offered vented and non-vented options on all their hats?

I’d like to add rivets for ventilation to a Snowy River. Can anyone here recommend specific products for doing this? Maybe post a link for me? High quality stainless or copper or brass or some other non-rusting rivets, and a good riveter too, and advice if you’ve ever done it before...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkstott

Practically Family
I've been admiring the Stylemaster hat for a while now and posted a question in the Q & A section about Akubra sizing.

On a whim, I took a drive to Delmonico hatter in New Haven and spent close to 2 hours in Akubra heaven trying on all the various models.

It turns out that in the Akubra world, I'm a size 58. Every model in size 59 fell down to my ears. In Stetson's & my newsboys, I'm a 59.

I liked the Adventurer model, but the 3 inch brim is just too much for me. The Snowy River is also nice, but I'm not sure how often I'd wear it around town.

It came down to the Stylemaster & trying to choose between the Carbon grey or the Fawn Acorn color.

I finally decided that the fawn was too close to my Stetson Chatham Sovereign hat in coloring.

I'm the proud owner of an Akubra Stylemaster Carbon Grey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk