Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. I would give it a naphtha bath then. Whether it shows stained or not, it must be soiled somehow. Animal urine, maybe? There's nothing inherent in the fur blend to be causing this. Similar experiences have never been reported by anyone before.

Cornshucker77 and dkstott like this.
  2. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

So, who picked up the "pre-owned" Akubra brown fedora for $26 on eBay this afternoon?

Zombie_61 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  3. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

$26.00? Wasn't me unfortunately.

4. Cornshucker77

+1

5. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

It is and isn’t you. I smell wet dog when my hat gets wet. I have asked my wife and she couldn’t smell anything unusual. So I think it just depends on how your nose picks up smells. But I don’t mind a bit of a smelly hat compared to a soaked head. Only thing I can think of to mitigate the smell is hit your hat with scotch guard to help the water bead off the felt so it really doesn’t get wet.
    Hope that helps
    Johnny

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

It wasn't me, I placed a bid of $25 on it, just to see what the final bid was. That bid was the highest until 3 minutes before it ended.

Someone got it for $26.

Zombie_61 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  7. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

I've had my Cobalt grey Stylemaster for about a week now. Been wearing it a lot & best of all my wife likes it.

But I'm thinking that it's a little too dressy looking for walking trails, puttering around the house and yard.

I've been reading posts and now I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a light grey or Moonstone Akubra with a brim under 3" preferably with a snap brim like the Stylemaster with a more casual look. Western looking models like the snowy river don't look good on me.

The Adventurer seems to meet my needs. But I tried one on & the higher crown looked way too tall on me. The federation spec's seems to have the same crown height as the Adventurer.

Can I do a teardrop bash on either & get down to the Stylemaster crown height without the top having a huge bowl or banging my head due to excess material??

Any other models to suggest??

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think it is the Akubra Pastoralist at Everything Australian. You can order it open crowned and has a lower crown with under a 3" brim.

9. belfastboy

Apologies: It is the Akubra Squatter.

dkstott and Cornshucker77 like this.
  10. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

If you are looking for a less dressy option the campdraft would be what I would look at. Wider brim and can style it as City or country as you like.
    Johnny

GLewis, Zombie_61 and dkstott like this.
  11. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

If you follow a common path, sometime in the future you’ll be looking for a hat(s) with a higher crown. You can adjust the crease a bit and lower the crown without the hat looking odd if causing the center to hit your head. My suggestion is to get the the DM Adventurer or the Fed IV if that is the style you like.

I’d bet that the crown that looks too tall to you today will look fine after you get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Cornshucker77

I like the Squatter. I think that may be my next Akubra.

Zombie_61 and dkstott like this.
  13. belfastboy

I am going in another direction....next EA sale I am buying a Sombrero!

Zombie_61, dkstott and Cornshucker77 like this.
  14. Cornshucker77

That is a different direction than the Squatter but I like those too. Make sure you post when you get it. Looking forward to it.

Zombie_61 and dkstott like this.
  15. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

This is what I'm concerned about with the adventurer's crown & not being able to get it low enough to look right. . [​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

johnnycanuck and Cornshucker77 like this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Just push it farther down. Make it what you want.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

17. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

I was able to try on an adventurer hat & have decided that it's just too tall for me. Since the Federation is the same height, that's also out of the question for my next hat.

FWIW I contacted Hat's Direct regarding the Adventurer and possibly lowering the crown height after purchasing it.

Here's their response; "The Adventurer is a very nice hat, but it comes pre-shaped from the Akubra factory - and that is done under immense pressure, so reshaping the crown is not a realistic option."

My wife really liked the Stylemaster acorn fawn's appearance on me. So I'm saving my pennies for that or possibly the bluegrass green.

GLewis likes this.
  18. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

I just noticed that hats direct has a Stylemaster in Burgundy..

My attempt to search this forum for photos came up with a lot of dead links to pics.

Does anyone own the Stylemaster in burgundy? How does it compare to the Stetson Tawny coloring?

GLewis likes this.
  19. bluesmandan

bluesmandan One of the Regulars

When do they do sales? Anything regular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. BulldogsRBtrThnPeople

BulldogsRBtrThnPeople New in Town

Hi guys - I have a couple Akubra-specific questions and I figured this would be the best place to ask!
    1. I like the Campdraft and I would like to be able to switch up the bash now and then (a cattleman one day, maybe a teardrop the next). I have never held a CD so is this realistic? Is the felt malleable enough or would I need to steam it each time I wanted to change it? If so, would something like a (modern) Stetson Stratoliner or Stetsonian be a better bet?
    2. Out of all the hats I have, I have yet to own a Silverbelly. Does that color get dingy easily around the areas that are most often handled?
    Thanks so much for your help!

dkstott and GLewis like this.