Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

1. You can switch the crease on any open crown hat and rebash at will. However, with any hat, you'll usually need to use steam to set it, whether Akubra, Stetson, or Borsalino. You can also misting the crown, set it, and let it dry.

Many vintages dry bash easily and hold their crease. That's a feature that is rare in a modern hat.

2. Any light colored hat is prone to showing dirt, oils, etc. If it's a real working hat, it will get discolored.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

dkstott, Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

My silverbelly hats, and other light colors, do show stains and dinginess more than other colors. It takes some work to keep them clean, but nothing too onerous. I have animals and live in a world with lint etc. and find black hats are the hardest to keep looking good.

You can reshape any open crown felt hat, but doing it regularly with an Akubra doesn’t sound practical. The modern felt does not return to open crown without any visage of the old crease remaining unless you put in some work. Misting the felt, steam, and even partially blocking might be needed for best results. Also, “working” the felt by creasing and re-creasing it will weaken it and eventually cause holes to appear; not an issue if shaped/creased a few times, but every few days....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dkstott, GLewis and Zombie_61 like this.
  3. BulldogsRBtrThnPeople

BulldogsRBtrThnPeople New in Town

Thank you so much for your responses! Very helpful!

dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.
  4. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

Bulldog, if you can, just get a couple of Campdrafts. You probably will end up doing that! I love my silver belly Campdraft!

dkstott and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. BulldogsRBtrThnPeople

BulldogsRBtrThnPeople New in Town

GLewis- Multiple CDs! I like your thinking!

Zombie_61 and GLewis like this.
  6. bluesmandan

bluesmandan One of the Regulars

What do you guys think of the Snowy River vs the Overlander?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

It is a SnowyRiver but in heritage felt and fully lined.
    Johnny

Zombie_61 and bluesmandan like this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Never tracked them but get on email alerts to get notified

bluesmandan likes this.
  9. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

Everyone here will tell you the same!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

I've seen Akubra hats with Red hat liners as well as White hat liners listed as Imperial quality felt on eBay.

Were Akubra originally sold with red hat liners? Is there any difference in quality??

11. XB234C

XB234C New in Town

Anybody got pics of them wearing the CEO or of just the hat? Thinking about getting one. Thanks. Didn't want to wade through 344 pages.

12. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

Do a Google images search:
    IMG_1650.jpg
    Note that once you click on the some of thumbnails the picture is blurred out by photobucket.

There's also a post in the old WHAYWT? thread.

dkstott likes this.
  13. XB234C

XB234C New in Town

I already did an image search, I didn't think to throw in fedora lounge. Duh. Thanks!

TheOldFashioned and dkstott like this.
  14. johnnycanuck

My first Federation has a red liner back in 2000, 2001. Everyone past that has a white one.
    Johnny

dkstott likes this.
  15. johnnycanuck

My sister has one. Good looking hat with better than average sun protection with the down turned Brim. I don’t have any pictures though.
    Johnny

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    dkstott likes this.
  16. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

All of my Akubras have white liners except for my Bluegrass Green Campdraft which has a mostly orange liner:

[​IMG]

Also, the brim is 2.75" all around instead of the advertised 2.875". My guess is this was a special order that somehow never got shipped, so they sent it to the next American who ordered one in size 60. Whatever the reason, I like it and I'm glad they sent it to me.

17. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

A couple of my Akubras have the reddish-gold liners - vintage-2007 Stylemaster and vintage-2015 Campdraft - but the others have the standard white ones. They're all the standard Imperial felt. I don't think we've ever seen a consistent pattern (in terms of product line or manufacturing era, etc.) re the different lining colors.

Zombie_61 and dkstott like this.
  18. dkstott

dkstott Familiar Face

My reason for asking about red vs white liners is that I'm watching an auction for a Stylemaster hat which has a red hat liner. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019 at 12:14 AM
    Zombie_61 likes this.
  19. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Zombie_61, I seem to recall that there was a special order run of Bluegrass Green Campdrafts with the shorter brims made a while back, perhaps shortly before you joined? It was instigated by some folks here once they managed to come up with enough orders for the factory to do it - a "Fedora Lounge Special" - and it was through Sam at Everything Australian.

I don't want to search for the old threads, but does anyone else remember this?

20. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Yeah, Doc you're right. There are posts around about but I think they did spec. a 2 1/2" brim.

Frunobulax likes this.