Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

Another vintage Akubra advertisement.[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

2. Boomerang

Boomerang One of the Regulars

I have both versions in the Camp Draft, and frankly I don't see or feel a difference, other than the design/appearance of the liner. I read somewhere (maybe on The Hattery site?) that a good portion of the "upgrade" for the Deluxe is in the sweatband. Of course it could be that I'm just too unrefined to note any small improvements, but that's my two cents.

dkstott and Zombie_61 like this.
  3. dkstott

Any shape, any color. [emoji1][​IMG]

4. dkstott

The addiction is real. Just added a Moonstone Akubra Stylemaster from Hat's direct to the herd.

All 3 of my Stylemaster's are size 58. The latest is huge compared to the others.

Preacher Man and Rmccamey like this.
  5. bluesmandan

bluesmandan A-List Customer

I would think the model has been around a long time but must have gone by a different name before the movie came out (1982).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milandro likes this.
  6. bluesmandan

The differences are not huge, but the heritage is a slightly thinner more compressed denser felt, a bit more like a vintage quality felt, and the imperial is thicker and not as compressed so some people think it is softer. I’ve had both and like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkstott and Hurricane Jack like this.
  7. milandro

milandro One of the Regulars

Indeed, the Akubra site defines the Snowy River as a “ Stockman” ( which is a separate slightly different model) hat .:

This stockman's hat is a true old favourite. This design was seen in the movie "The Man From Snowy River". Features a plaited bonded leather band....”

So it may have existed before but the fact that it bore the name on the sweatband dates post 1982.

dkstott likes this.
  8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

"Stockman" in this context refers to the fact that it was worn by working ranchers, not another Akubra model so named.

dkstott and Hurricane Jack like this.
  9. dkstott

Actually, there is a model by Akubra called the Stockman. Hats direct offers it. They claim it's similar to the Snowy River.

https://hatsdirect.com/products/stockman

10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Right, I got that part. My comment was referring specifically this sentence: "This stockman's hat is a true old favourite," the word "stockman" is being used as a noun to describe a rancher, per Australian parlance. The "Stockman" Akubra hat is named after the noun, not the other way around. The Snowy River is a hat that a Stockman might wear, just as we might describe a certain style as a "Cowboy" hat. In the US some of the hats we otherwise call "Dress Westerns" are also called "Stockman hats" as they might be found on the head of the owner of the cattle as opposed to the head of the person working with the cattle. Also as in "Miller Stockman."

11. dkstott

I realize that Akubra Shrinkage has been discussed here numerous times & I don't mean to beat a dead horse. Some folks have experienced it and others haven't.

Hear me out...

I've got 2 Stylemaster's (Carbon Grey & Acorn Fawn) size 58 purchased from Delmonico Hatters. They fit me perfect on day one, no foam needed. Based upon the color availability listed by Delmonico and David Morgan, my guess is that Delmonico Hatters gets their inventory from DM.

I have sweated like crazy in these 2 hats enough to go through the sweatband, liner and even gotten the felt wet as a result. There's been ZERO Shrinkage since day 1.

I just purchased a Moonstone Stylemaster from Hats Direct. The ladies went through their inventory and found me the largest size 58 they had. When it arrived it was huge on me. So much so, that I had to install foam strips in the front and back of the hat to be able to wear it.

2 weeks later, the foam strips are no longer needed because of the shrinkage.

So, why is it that the 2 Akubra hats purchased from Delmonico didn't shrink and the one from Hats Direct did??

Has anyone given thought to the issue being source specific or perhaps how long hats has been in a store's inventory?

Perhaps hats that have been in a stores inventory sometimes known as "new old stock" have stabilized and won't shrink
    after purchase??

Whereas Hats Direct and other stores in Australia inventory of Akubra hats turn over so quickly that hats don't stabilize??

12. milandro

milandro One of the Regulars

I agree, they maybe were in the shop for a long time and they had been already subject to some shrinkage cycles .

As I wrote above I have bought what it appeared to have been an old snowy river ( which I now know couldn’t be any older than 1982) this was size 57 which is nowhere near my 59-60-61 size (or more sometimes, which makes this all thing of sizing being ridiculous when it comes to buying hats on-line) .

I have expanded the hat to past my size and have kept it in shape , it did tent to return to something in between where it started and where I brought it. Now it seem to have stabilized and the fit is good.

Of all the other hats I have this is the most sensitive to shrinking on the other hand no other hat was jacked anywhere near as much as this one.

dkstott likes this.
  13. Boomerang

My experience has been that the sweat in all of my Akubras has gotten cozy with my skull after some wear, but I hesitate to describe this as shrinkage in the hat. My head is stubbornly between sizes, and a 58 is ALMOST snug enough to wear - thus, the felt strips go under the sweat initially. After x number of hours on the head, the felt strips come out and the hat fits perfectly. I have yet to have an Akubra shrink down to "too tight" or "unwearable," and a few have gotten completely rain-soaked.

dkstott and Desert dog like this.
  14. BulldogsRBtrThnPeople

BulldogsRBtrThnPeople New in Town

Evening Gents - I just got my silver belly Campdraft (ordered on Monday and got it on Saturday...pretty awesome!) and I am really enjoying it. I’m pretty reliably a 60 in all other hats and this hat fit very nicely right out of the box. I even found it to be a little more long oval than my Stetsons or Selentino (which I’m pleased with). The brim is quite stiff and has a satisfying “thump” when snapped down or up. I got the regular felt version and handling the crown almost feels like clay. I have been having a great deal of fun seeing which creases look best. All in all, I am thrilled with my purchase and will definitely be making another Akubra purchase soon. I can’t decide though between a Fed IV, a stylemaster and a squatter though. Anyone have any preferences between those 3? I realize they occupy very different areas of a spectrum but would love to get some thoughts!

dkstott and Desert dog like this.
  15. Beef

Beef New in Town

Congrats! I just received my first Campdraft in Taupe a couple of weeks ago and I love it. It is amazingly comfortable. I have a couple of Cattleman hats in size 59, but they always seemed a little tight. I ordered the Campdraft in a 60 and it makes all the difference in the world. I have my eye on an Adventurer in black, but I need to sell off one of the Cattleman first!

Desert dog likes this.
  16. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

Nope. No preferences whatsoever.

:D

17. dkstott

No preferences here either. Stylemaster's. [emoji3590][emoji445][emoji1][​IMG]

Just A Hat Rack and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. bluesmandan

Got a new Akubra. A brown Snowy River. It’s not quite as deep a brown as my Loden Lawson was, but still quite nice. [​IMG]

19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I really have to hand it to Akubra: their sweatbands are, IMHO, the most comfortable of all the mass-manufactured hats, miles past Stetson. I was just looking at my brand-new Cedar Brown CD, and the sweatband is as soft as a pillow. I forget I'm wearing it.

Scooterz, dkstott, Zombie_61 and 2 others like this.
  20. Boomerang

BGCD1.jpg BGCD2.jpg MSCDD1.jpg MSCDD2.jpg SBCD2.jpg SBCD1.jpg These pics went to the Camp Draft thread as well, but here are the first 3 of my 7 Akubras, the Camp Drafts. Bluegrass Green, Moonstone (Camp Draft Deluxe), and Silver Belly.