Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 A-List Customer

I was able to coax the flange of the brim exactly how I wanted. I gave the front a little extra “snap down” because it would not stay down on its own. My Moonstone has a perfect flange and snap to the brim.

Steven

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Snap? On a Fed IV? None of mine ever had that ability so I simply shaped the fronts of the brims as I wanted them and left them alone. Not a perfect solution, but good enough for me. :cool:

3. Boomerang

Boomerang Familiar Face

The first Fed IV I received was in black. That bad-boy is stiff as a board the the brim does indeed "snap" up and down. My moonstone Fed IV is less stiff overall, and the brim gently "clunks" up and down. My tawny fawn Fed IV arrived floppy as all get-out. It's definitely the least-firm hat I own, and the one that took the most work to get into shape.

So my experience is that stiffening on the Fed IV is all over the road. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Zombie_61 and Rumad like this.
  4. 1967Cougar390

On the Tawny Fawn that’s basically what I did. I steamed the brim 1/4 of the way around at a time until I achieved my desired results. I added a little extra dip at the front might be a better term than snap. It looks good to me so that’s how it will stay. The Moonstone actually snaps and stays down or can be snapped back up. I will definitely wear it in the down position. Both Feds are wonderful and I couldn’t be happier with them. :)
    Steven

Zombie_61 and Héctor Fernández like this.
  5. 1967Cougar390

My Tawny Fawn Fed took the most work to shape of all of my hats. I enjoyed the challenge and the end result. I feel the work really makes it my own.

Steven

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

It's not only the Fed IVs; varying degrees of stiffness seems to be common on all of the hats Akubra makes. Most of my Akubras were about the same when I got them, but one of my Campdrafts was so stiff that it actually required some effort to snap the front of the brim down the first three or four times. And on my most recent Akubra, a stingy-brimmed Hampton, the crown was/is so soft and malleable that it seems they forgot to use stiffener on it. *shrug*

7. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

Is this level of stiffness equally as hard with the open crown models?

8. Rumad

Rumad Practically Family

Mine was open crown Héctor. It came pretty stiff, the brim much more than the crown. I pretty much wore it for a week, and between all the steaming/tweaking I did plus being in the rain twice it already seems a bit softer. I’ll say it pretty unfair to compare them to customs, because they’re just different animals, but I WILL say I’m very happy with mine.

9. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

Thanks my friend. I believe you are right, it would be an unfair comparison.

1967Cougar390 and Rumad like this.
  10. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Akubras like rain! Well, mine do anyway. It's probably an effect of the so-called "acid rain" we're allegedly exposed to these days, but rain water has had a softening effect on the felts of my Akubras; slight, but noticeable. And while they're wet it's a good time to tweak the crease/bash if you so desire--the hat's already wet, why not take advantage of the opportunity? :D

11. 1967Cougar390

Hector, three of my Akubras came open crown and the stiffness compared The same to my Stylemaster.

Steven

12. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, Hector. After looking at the Akubras I have and reading the comments of other members, I've come to the conclusion (could be wrong) that the style has nothing to do with the stiffness or softness of a particular hat. Rather, it seems to me that particular production runs display more or less stiffness due to either the amount of starch added during production or the way a particular run of fur felt absorbs the starch. I'm just guessing but it makes sense to me. I'd like to ask a custom hatter the question.

13. 1967Cougar390

I posted this in another thread but it seems to be a perfect fit for the Akubra Overload.

E217C528-C4D0-4C80-8005-85AA68B155D9.jpeg

From left to right:
    Fed IV in Moonstone
    Stylemaster in Carbon Grey
    Fed IV in Tawny Fawn
    Sydney in Regency Fawn

Steven

Duper, Spats McGee, GLewis and 10 others like this.
  14. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake One of the Regulars

Nice post Cougar. When I saw your name made me think. I saw a 1967 Olds 442 today in mint condition. Would love to own it.

15. 1967Cougar390

The 442 is a great car. Luxury and muscle is a great combination.

Steven

tropicalbob, Zombie_61 and Rumad like this.
  16. DaveProc

DaveProc A-List Customer

The old Fed IV today
    4.jpg 0.jpg 1.jpg

17. DaveProc

DaveProc A-List Customer

Fed IV today

FB_IMG_1584901975293.jpg FB_IMG_1584901979103.jpg FB_IMG_1584901982667.jpg FB_IMG_1584901986708.jpg

GLewis, NotHardly, Scooterz and 7 others like this.
  18. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Anyone else remember the fedoras Akubra used to make? Like the Clubman?
    Johnny

19. Ian

Ian New in Town

I do remember the Clubman and similar Johnny, and my Dad was of the era where going to work at the office without a hat was sacrilege. I was an outdoor worker so my choices were bigger brims for shade and a handmade brow band. Now I'm an office worker in mental health and today's choice is my no longer available Akubra semi Homburg that I altered the bash and brim on 20200406_134049.jpg

Attached Files:

20. 1967Cougar390

I’m thinking about getting another Stylemaster. I’m intrigued by the Bluegrass Green. Does anyone have outdoor pictures of this color Stylemaster? I don’t want a Leprechaun green, the Bluegrass looks like a lighter grey with some hints of blue and green. Is this correct?

Steven

deadlyhandsome and Rumad like this.