Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
Lovely hat! Did they double boxed the hat?
Well I opened one of my Fed IV’s today. The box was damaged by the shipment but the hat was in excellent condition. I’m very pleased with Akubra’s quality for the price. The Tawny Fawn is lighter in color than my Regency Fawn Sydney. If I have one complaint on the Fed IV I opened, I wish it had more flange in the brim. It’s almost flat. I’m sure I can coax it to the shape I want with some steam when I bash the crown.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 217922 View attachment 217923 View attachment 217924

I’m very happy with the Fed IV. I will post pictures after I add my crown crease. I’m thinking of another diamond but I might change to something else.

Steven

Rumad

One Too Many
I was thinking about ordering a CD and a FedIV, but is that the dealio with their shipping I'm not taking a chance. I'll be pretty upset if I received my hats in any type of damaged condition, and I wouldn't be nice about it.

I wouldn’t blame it on their shipping entirely. My guess is that something (big) shifted on the flight, or that some knucklehead mishandled them when they landed. In all of the research I’ve done the last few weeks I didn’t hear one other story about damaged product or packaging. And it always pays to be nice Héctor (advice that I need to figure out how to use haha). My vote? It’s worth the risk. The risk is minimal.

I wouldn’t blame it on their shipping entirely. My guess is that something (big) shifted on the flight, or that some knucklehead mishandled them when they landed. In all of the research I’ve done the last few weeks I didn’t hear one other story about damaged product or packaging. And it always pays to be nice Héctor (advice that I need to figure out how to use haha). My vote? It’s worth the risk. The risk is minimal.

I’ve bought 6-7 from The Hattery and Everything Australian and they all arrived undamaged. I bought a hemp Akubra from Hats by the Hundred that was damaged, but it was crushed in shipping. My take: the boxes provide adequate protection for all but the most severe mishandling. Personally, I don’t worry about it.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I was thinking about ordering a CD and a FedIV, but is that the dealio with their shipping I'm not taking a chance. I'll be pretty upset if I received my hats in any type of damaged condition, and I wouldn't be nice about it.

Hector, I feel completely satisfied with everything. Yes my box was torn but the hats were perfect.

Steven

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
Lol, I'm not a nice guy, lol....

I read you my friend, thanks for the reassurances.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From the comments above, I was thinking that the design of the boxes is very good indeed if they can withstand such treatment and still protect the contents. Like DH, I've received five hats from Hats Direct and never had a problem (thankfully).

M Brown

A-List Customer
I have several Akubras. My work hat is a Territory (with leather wind strap).
My oldest is a 70's era Drover...what a great hat.
I also have a Snowy River, a Bluegrass color Campdraft, and a Fed IV.

Akubra makes a good, solid hat. The Territory is a real workhorse of a hat.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Here are my Fed IV’s.

Tawny Fawn
6B6FB7BD-5ADF-4CE4-A5E4-12B0AF62F6A4.jpeg

Moonstone
BA5C5D3F-C470-4135-918C-772AC734312F.jpeg

220C672F-05F4-4E2E-9044-028228203C69.jpeg

Side by Side
B8955188-6309-4D15-9A7A-82BAA74761BF.jpeg

A pleasant surprise was a hand written note from Naomi and Trudi at The Hattery. It is the type of touch that has secured me as a future customer.
DAF3F36A-E76C-4214-8FF6-90CD2C51E641.jpeg

Steven

Rumad

One Too Many
Here are my Fed IV’s.

Tawny Fawn
View attachment 218081

Moonstone
View attachment 218082
View attachment 218083
Side by Side
View attachment 218084

A pleasant surprise was a hand written note from Naomi and Trudi at The Hattery. It is the type of touch that has secured me as a future customer.
View attachment 218088

Steven
Very nice. I got the note too, I think it’s very friendly. What’s in the aquarium? And don’t be like my youngest and say water, or fish. lol

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Very nice. I got the note too, I think it’s very friendly. What’s in the aquarium? And don’t be like my youngest and say water, or fish. lol

I have 6 Neon Tetras, 3 male Guppies and 2 Ghost Shrimp. I have a smaller aquarium with a male Betta. He has to stay by himself because he thinks everything that swims in the an aquarium is food for him. :)

Steven

...If I have one complaint on the Fed IV I opened, I wish it had more flange in the brim. It’s almost flat. I’m sure I can coax it to the shape I want with some steam when I bash the crown...
The brims on all three of my Fed IVs were rather flat when I received them, but developed more pronounced flange on their own during the first few weeks I wore them; not a deep flange by any means, but more noticeable. Steam and a little shaping should do the trick on yours.

As far as the boxes Hats Direct/The Hattery uses, this has been an on again/off again problem for quite some time. When I ordered my first Fed IV back in 2008 it arrived with one end of the shipping carton crushed inward approximately 25%. I had been advised to expect this because it was a chronic problem at the time, so I wasn't too surprised and was pleased when the hat inside was unharmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto