Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I decided to start with a simple center dent on the TFCD and SBCD Deluxe. These are the most understated bashes I've done to date, and I must admit that I rather like them. Many thanks for the inspiration received right here on the Lounge.
Photo on 2-29-20 at 7.39 AM.jpg
Photo on 2-29-20 at 7.39 AM #2.jpg
Photo on 2-29-20 at 7.40 AM.jpg
Photo on 2-29-20 at 7.42 AM.jpg
Photo on 2-29-20 at 7.42 AM #2.jpg
Photo on 2-29-20 at 7.42 AM #3.jpg

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, I won't disagree. I'll probably be chatting with Trudi and Naomi at The Hattery again soon enough. Thanks for the nudge.
I held off on the Cedar Brown for a long time for some reason, but since I got it this winter it's seen more action than any of the others. I particularly like the way it looks with brown tweed or leather.

Rumad

One Too Many
These hats are said to shrink. Is that correct? Could anyone elaborate on how much? That’d be great. My hat arrived this afternoon, box smashed to bits but hat in fine condition. It is really very much bigger than any 7 1/2 I’ve ever had in my head. It’s a beautiful hat, I don’t want to give it up.

tropicalbob

I have seven of them and my experience has been that they all came in a bit on the large side, some more than others. I have then inserted the spacers, and somewhere down the line felt like the hat was getting a tad tighter so I removed the spacer and the hat fit fine. I have one or two that still have the spacers, but I haven't even thought about it until just now. I've often wondered if Akubra makes their hats a bit large knowing that wearers in Australia's heat are going to sweat and that the bands will necessarily shrink. Something to ask the ladies at Hats Direct next time I call there.

Rumad

One Too Many
I have seven of them and my experience has been that they all came in a bit on the large side, some more than others. I have then inserted the spacers, and somewhere down the line felt like the hat was getting a tad tighter so I removed the spacer and the hat fit fine. I have one or two that still have the spacers, but I haven't even thought about it until just now. I've often wondered if Akubra makes their hats a bit large knowing that wearers in Australia's heat are going to sweat and that the bands will necessarily shrink. Something to ask the ladies at Hats Direct next time I call there.
Ok thank you. Maybe I should give them a call. I’m worried about putting a crease in it.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
These hats are said to shrink. Is that correct? Could anyone elaborate on how much? That’d be great. My hat arrived this afternoon, box smashed to bits but hat in fine condition. It is really very much bigger than any 7 1/2 I’ve ever had in my head. It’s a beautiful hat, I don’t want to give it up.
I never really noticed it until you said something, but harkening back to when I bought my Akubra, it did seem a tad bit on the larger than usual side in comparison to other hats that I have in my size. It still fit, even if was just a little loose. I didn't need any spacers, and it fits like my other hats do now.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I’m a 61 and my Sydney and Stylemaster are both a little loose. I’ve had the Sydney since January and it is fitting much better. Not to tight and not to loose. The Stylemaster is a touch loose but I would rather have a loose hat than one that’s to tight. It has been a rainy month here in South Carolina and both of my Akubras have been wet and I have not had any shrinkage from the rain.

I’m still waiting on my Fed IV’s to arrive today. It’s getting late in the afternoon so I’m not feeling hopeful. I’ll post how they fit when they arrive.

Steven

johnnycanuck

All my hats started out feeling large. The hat should have come with weather stripping (foam strip) that you cut into small strips and tuck behind the sweatband to snug it up. As you wear your hat it will shrink down in size and you remove the bits of foam when necessary. It took about two years of only wearing one hat every day for it to shrink down one size to fit me properly. So I wouldn’t worry about it coming a bit large.
Wear it in good health.
Johnny

Rumad

One Too Many
Thanks Johnny. I decided to bite the bullet. I placed the taller piece of foam in the sweat, in the very back of the hat. Put a couple of the shorter pieces on the sides. Got a decent diamond with side dents steamed in and tried to lose a little of the flange in front. Fits right now but I think it looks a little goofy. I may wet the sweat and let it dry overnight a couple times, see if that shrinks it down. I went back and read through some really old threads and I think I’m gonna be ok. It’s a great hat, nice looking too. If I can’t get it just right, I’ll just order another and see if someone wants to buy this. I’m thankful for the wealth of knowledge out there for me to sort through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points