Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Old Gus

New in Town
Great looking hat!
OK, friends...I feel a little embarrassed to ask this because I know I was spoofed with good meaning, but here goes.

Back in the mid 70's when I lived in Nashville, Tennessee, a great TN-born friend and I traveled to Winchester, TN. to the Winchester hat factory. I bought a black "cowboy hat" with a tall crown and a moderate brim. Knowing little about CB hats, my pal said he would crease it for me, and we had a great afternoon over the stove and a big pot of water. I don't remember what he called the crease, but it was full high in the front and pretty raked back to the rear via a pressed down center crease, with no side creases. Now I would call it an aggressive "reverse Gus."

Now, my friend James was quite the jokester, well as a well-heeled businessman, and possessed the heart of a United Church of Christ natural Middle Tennesseean "Old Boy."He embodied the best of several worlds and was a great friend who passed away some time ago. If you know anything about middle Tennessee, I think you will understand.

So, to the point. Have any of you heard of such a "legitimate" historic crease, called a reverse Gus or otherwise? I've got both an unncreased black and Bluegrass CB, and I'm thinking of creasing one of them as described above--if nothing else as an homage (sp?) to an old friend. But it would be cool to know if there has ever been such a historic crease.

Lastly, and to cement the bonafide of my pal's ability to razz someone, during a Duke vs. Tennessee football game in Knoxville that our group attended, he turned to me in the second half after we were all quite "stretched," and said, "Do you see that big lit up VOLS sign over there in the end zone?" I said yes. "Well," he said, "that's the biggest damn VOLS sign in the whole world!". "Oh, damn!" I said. My epiphany about the hat and the sign came some time later and were the cause of great happiness. I sure wish I still had that hat.

dkstott

Practically Family
55 degrees here today. Great day for early spring cleaning in the yard. My Akubra Banjo Patterson is always ready for yard work. 5+ years old, it's been rained on, covered in snow and ice. Dropped in mud.

20220221_133049.jpg
20220221_133044.jpg
20220221_130604_HDR.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
55 degrees here today. Great day for early spring cleaning in the yard. My Akubra Banjo Patterson is always ready for yard work. 5+ years old, it's been rained on, covered in snow and ice. Dropped in mud.

View attachment 404085 View attachment 404084 View attachment 404083
That was the first "good" hat when I got into wearing hats. At the time I got both the fawn and black, the fawn being the most worn hat I have. It's probably 10+ years old and still looks like new. Not much snow and Ice down here in E Texas, if we forget about last Feb, and have never dropped it in the mud, but did chase it across a parking lot or two.

ADK

New in Town
Hi All! Longtime lurker and first time poster…. I primarily wear Akubra hats from David Morgan along with a strong contingent of berets from South Pacific Berets. (Beret’s are a whole other story, I know!)

Anyhow, curious on how much shrinking I should expect on my Akubra…? I just received a new Coober Pedy in Bluegrass Green, 59. It’s loose enough without the two thin strips of felt in the brim from David Morgan that it would fall off of my head. The two strips make it perfect… Should I expect over the next few years that it might shrink enough to remove those two strips and then it’ll steady out?

Current Akubra collection for discussion, from left to right: cattleman, Coober Pedy, bushman (in 60 cm with four pieces of felt in the brim) and a territory.

Thanks!

591D344C-F454-445C-8451-E9C617AF53F1.jpeg

Anyhow, curious on how much shrinking I should expect on my Akubra…? I just received a new Coober Pedy in Bluegrass Green, 59. It’s loose enough without the two thin strips of felt in the brim from David Morgan that it would fall off of my head. The two strips make it perfect… Should I expect over the next few years that it might shrink enough to remove those two strips and then it’ll steady out?
Hello ADK and welcome to The Lounge as a former lurker!

I currently have nine Akubra hats; three Campdrafts, three Federation IVs, and three Hamptons, all size 60. The sizing and shrinkage on all nine was basically the same--wear 'em until they shrink down to a good fit. The key is sweating while you're wearing them, because the moisture and chemicals in our perspiration slightly dehydrate the leather Akubra uses for their sweatbands, which causes them to shrink, which causes their hats to snug down and fit better if you've chosen the right size for you. For me, that only took three to seven days on each hat.

In my case, the only exception was the three Campdrafts; by the time they finished shrinking they were a little too snug for comfort, but a hat jack and a little stretching solved that problem.

Good luck!

ADK

New in Town
Hello ADK and welcome to The Lounge as a former lurker!

I currently have nine Akubra hats; three Campdrafts, three Federation IVs, and three Hamptons, all size 60. The sizing and shrinkage on all nine was basically the same--wear 'em until they shrink down to a good fit. The key is sweating while you're wearing them, because the moisture and chemicals in our perspiration slightly dehydrate the leather Akubra uses for their sweatbands, which causes them to shrink, which causes their hats to snug down and fit better if you've chosen the right size for you. For me, that only took three to seven days on each hat.

In my case, the only exception was the three Campdrafts; by the time they finished shrinking they were a little too snug for comfort, but a hat jack and a little stretching solved that problem.

Good luck!

Thanks!

It‘s so tough to tell. I’ve worn my cattleman quite a bit, the territory less, and the bushman even less. The Coober Pedy is only two days new.

If I were to buy a Stetson used, I’d buy a 7-1/2. If I were to buy a Resistol used, I’d buy a 7-5/8…. If I measure my head, I’m a 58-1/2 cm, and the 59 fits loose when it’s new.

I’d order more right out of the gate (there‘s a Coober Pedy in bran that I’d like to pick up…) but I don’t know if I should keep ordering 59s or 60s!

Thanks!

It‘s so tough to tell. I’ve worn my cattleman quite a bit, the territory less, and the bushman even less. The Coober Pedy is only two days new.

If I were to buy a Stetson used, I’d buy a 7-1/2. If I were to buy a Resistol used, I’d buy a 7-5/8…. If I measure my head, I’m a 58-1/2 cm, and the 59 fits loose when it’s new.

I’d order more right out of the gate (there‘s a Coober Pedy in bran that I’d like to pick up…) but I don’t know if I should keep ordering 59s or 60s!
I started wearing hats regularly later in life (my late 40s) so I don't have a lot of experience with different makers; Akubra tops my personal list for fur felt hats, and I got my one and only Stetson in February, bought used off of evilBay. My Akubras all fit loose at first as well, but wearing (and sweating in) them resulted in each hat shrinking down to a comfortable fit (except for the aforementioned Campdrafts). If your measurement was 58-1/2 cm I'd say 59 is your size in new Akubras, but if you have your doubts you should send an e-mail to someone at David Morgan, or perhaps Hats Direct, and ask for their "professional advice" on which size you should order. And maybe get a hat jack if you don't already own one, just in case.

Last edited:
Thanks!

If you’re a 58.5cm and you’re wearing 7 5/8 (61cm) hats I suspect you are a long or extra long oval. The shape matters almost as much as the size. In stiff/firm western hats that don’t easily conform to my head shape I always prefer a size larger as I’m a long oval.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Thanks!

I also measure just under 59 (just over 58 1/2). I have three second hand Akubras - a ‘60s Stylemaster, an ’80s Snowy River, and a Cattleman. All are size 60. The Stylemaster is a nice fit, the Snowy River was too small and needed a hat jack and he Catleman was too big and has some sponge placed under the sweatband.
I also have three Akubras that I bought new. My first was a Range (hemp) in size 60 and was too big. Before purchasing my Fed IV and Campdraft, I asked the Hattery for advice. They told me to go for 59. They’re both a snug but comfortable fit, but still only 10 months old, so we’ll see how they go. Maybe they’ll need the hat jack one day, too.
Personally, if I was buying another, I’d go 59 for a new hat, 60 for a second hand one.

If you’re a 58.5cm and you’re wearing 7 5/8 (61cm) hats I suspect you are a long or extra long oval. The shape matters almost as much as the size. In stiff/firm western hats that don’t easily conform to my head shape I always prefer a size larger as I’m a long oval.
Ugh, I keep forgetting about ovality because my head is so close to a regular oval that it isn't an issue for me. Thanks for adding that very helpful information Brent!

Samson25

Familiar Face
This is the problem I didn't want to deal with.
All my hats are size 59.
They were roomy and I wore them cautiously checking wind conditions beforehand- not wanting them to fly from my head in a gust of wind.
Now properly padded...They are going nowhere.
I am a 58.5 and the 59 affords Me some shrinkage in the future.
I can always reduce padding, and don't have to deal with trying to stretch them.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi All! Longtime lurker and first time poster…. I primarily wear Akubra hats from David Morgan along with a strong contingent of berets from South Pacific Berets. (Beret’s are a whole other story, I know!)

Current Akubra collection for discussion, from left to right: cattleman, Coober Pedy, bushman (in 60 cm with four pieces of felt in the brim) and a territory.

Thanks!

View attachment 415680
All my Akubra hats are one size up. I add weather stripping to snug it up and as it shrinks I remove the stripping. I find it takes about two years of daily wear for my Akubras to become second skin comfortable. But I also overheat easily and sweat easily. If you are a cool customer that doesent sweat much it may take longer.
My two cents worth anyway.
Johnny

ADK

New in Town
The felt weather stripping is exactly what I used in my size 60 Akubra. Ordered a new one last night... and went with a 60. I agree that I would rather take out a strip in the long run than have to keep hats on a stretcher!

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I like that color a lot. Can you tell me how high the crown is?
The Federation IV is exclusive to hatsdirect.com , also known as the Hattery
Here is some info from their site.
"The Federation comes "Open Crown" ready for you to shape. Crown height is 5 5/8ths inches (142mm). Made from an original wooden hat block set which have not been used for over 35 years. The brim is dimensional cut to 2 1/2" (63mm) on the sides and 2 3/4" (70mm) front and back.The brim flange is a little flatter than the previous Federation model and will make styling the brim easier"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk