Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

LEOSTARK

New in Town
I can't read it in your pic, but its model name appears to be embossed on the front of the sweatband like most Akubras.

The dimensions look like a Squatter...

I believe you are correct. Like I've seen in other photos of the Squatter's sweatband, it appears to say "Squatter", and below that "Featherweight".

Looks lik

Looks like a nice Squatter to me. Great colour as well. Post it up once you get it bashed.
Johnny
Spot on, gents. It indeed turned out to be a squatter. I was looking on FB marketplace for hats near an area I am travelling to for a wedding. Seller took a few days to respond, hence why I asked here.

It’s an unlined squatter in their superfine finish and in my size for around 75 bucks. Tempting…

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spot on, gents. It indeed turned out to be a squatter. I was looking on FB marketplace for hats near an area I am travelling to for a wedding. Seller took a few days to respond, hence why I asked here.

It’s an unlined squatter in their superfine finish and in my size for around 75 bucks. Tempting…
That’s a pretty good price for a lightly used Akubra. With the Squatter being currently discontinued it may be a “last chance to own one” kind of deal.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

Speaking of the fabled Squatter here is mine out and about today.
9F700C57-CC94-438A-85D5-5F7C2DD583B7.jpeg
F992293C-2133-4968-B826-8D9D18C7A2DC.jpeg

Featherweight in Carbon grey
Johnny

LEOSTARK

New in Town
Speaking of the fabled Squatter here is mine out and about today.
View attachment 430638 View attachment 430639
Featherweight in Carbon grey
Johnny
Looking dashing, Johnny! I have that colour on a stylemaster, and I love when the blue in it comes out!

About that squatter i mentioned here earlier, I ended up getting it. The owner was a nice lady and she had bought it for her father who passed away not too long ago. He apparently really liked that hat and only wore it a handful times. She was a little emotional as it had sentimental value and I reassured her it would be in good hands.

Now this is gonna be my first attempt at a bash. I have to read about how to iron out the creases left from being in porkpie for so long without the need to reblock it. I am guessing some steam, a spherical surface and lots of patience.

johnnycanuck

Looking dashing, Johnny! I have that colour on a stylemaster, and I love when the blue in it comes out!

About that squatter i mentioned here earlier, I ended up getting it. The owner was a nice lady and she had bought it for her father who passed away not too long ago. He apparently really liked that hat and only wore it a handful times. She was a little emotional as it had sentimental value and I reassured her it would be in good hands.

Now this is gonna be my first attempt at a bash. I have to read about how to iron out the creases left from being in porkpie for so long without the need to reblock it. I am guessing some steam, a spherical surface and lots of patience.
I use cold water. If I am rehashing a hat I give it a good soak (outside only) then use one of my kids balls as a block to jam it in there to pop it out more open crown. Keep in mind unless done professionally you may still have some ghost lines. They will fade with time though. If the pork pie isn’t too bad maybe you should try and work with it. Soak the hat so it’s soft and just add punches. Maybe raise the front a little. What style were you looking to do? C crown would be an easy conversion.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

Busted out the old Cattleman for this afternoon. I reshaped the brim today, flattened it out a little, I like it better. Also found a feather out hiking that seemed like it fit with this hat we'll see if it hangs around or not.
View attachment 430711 View attachment 430712
Looking good my friend. Feather looks nice as well. I have a Canadian goose feather in mine. A trick I found to keep my brim crisp is to snap it up all the way around when not wearing it.
Wear it in good health
Johnny

johnnycanuck

Coolabah on a beautiful sunny day. Wearing my best Star Wars shirt.

B403D7EC-7468-4494-80D3-C8FC29CF949F.jpeg
F3C2BAE1-FB4E-4B51-B6C9-0049CC3E26FA.jpeg

I noticed stock of Akubra hats getting low from some of the regular vendors. Was getting concerned until I read this post from one of the workers at the factory.

In regard to wait times, demand is at its highest and the factory is making more hats than ever (whilst still dealing with COVID related issues). Stockists are ordering for hats that are supplied in around 6 months. It isn't a case of waiting to make hats, it's that there are a huge number of orders already in the system that need to be fulfilled first.

I am hoping this means some of our favourite models may return sometime in the future.

Johnny

Coolabah on a beautiful sunny day. Wearing my best Star Wars shirt.

View attachment 447209 View attachment 447210

I noticed stock of Akubra hats getting low from some of the regular vendors. Was getting concerned until I read this post from one of the workers at the factory.

In regard to wait times, demand is at its highest and the factory is making more hats than ever (whilst still dealing with COVID related issues). Stockists are ordering for hats that are supplied in around 6 months. It isn't a case of waiting to make hats, it's that there are a huge number of orders already in the system that need to be fulfilled first.

I am hoping this means some of our favourite models may return sometime in the future.

Johnny

I’ve been on the wait list for a couple models for many months…I’m thinking well over a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner