Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, several years after adding a Fed IV in Moonstone to my collection, I had to add a Carbon Grey. I received it from Hats Direct just this past week. With each open crown hat, I'm getting more and more comfortable with bashing my own crown. Nothing beats molding the quality felt and creating your own "sculpture". Another fantastic purchase from the folks at the Hattery Katoomba.
Federation Carbon Gray 2.jpg Federation carbon gray crease.jpg

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
Well, several years after adding a Fed IV in Moonstone to my collection, I had to add a Carbon Grey. I received it from Hats Direct just this past week. With each open crown hat, I'm getting more and more comfortable with bashing my own crown. Nothing beats molding the quality felt and creating your own "sculpture". Another fantastic purchase from the folks at the Hattery Katoomba.
View attachment 447374 View attachment 447375

I really like that color!

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
I really do too. I bought a Stylemaster in Carbon Grey about fifteen years ago. I'd forgotten how much I liked the color until I saw it on the Fed IV. I don't wear a lot of brown, so I found this color looks a little more casual than the Moonstone.
That would probably be the color I'd get if I were to get another.

Edward

Bartender

I like the carbon grey a lot. Very practical colour - as good as a black, but not black... I'd say just a *notch* more flexible than Moonstone (unless, I suppose, you replaced the black ribbon on the moonstone with a more neutral silver grey.

I do wish the Hattery would do one thing with these: offer a slight customisation option for a small upcharge. Y'know, select a different ribbon colour, add brim binding to match, add a wind trolley. If Akubra were cool with that and they had somebody doing it at the right small but worth it for them upcharge, it would be really cool to have those additional options. Frankly, there are few other hats indeed I'd even think to look at with that as an option. (I know the obvious answer is to find a local hatter who can do it, but...).

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
H
I like the carbon grey a lot. Very practical colour - as good as a black, but not black... I'd say just a *notch* more flexible than Moonstone (unless, I suppose, you replaced the black ribbon on the moonstone with a more neutral silver grey.

I do wish the Hattery would do one thing with these: offer a slight customisation option for a small upcharge. Y'know, select a different ribbon colour, add brim binding to match, add a wind trolley. If Akubra were cool with that and they had somebody doing it at the right small but worth it for them upcharge, it would be really cool to have those additional options. Frankly, there are few other hats indeed I'd even think to look at with that as an option. (I know the obvious answer is to find a local hatter who can do it, but...).
Have you ever contacted the Hattery to see if they offer those services? No harm in asking.
Johnny

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars

I do wish the Hattery would do one thing with these: offer a slight customisation option for a small upcharge. Y'know, select a different ribbon colour, add brim binding to match, add a wind trolley. If Akubra were cool with that and they had somebody doing it at the right small but worth it for them upcharge, it would be really cool to have those additional options. Frankly, there are few other hats indeed I'd even think to look at with that as an option. (I know the obvious answer is to find a local hatter who can do it, but..
H

Have you ever contacted the Hattery to see if they offer those services? No harm in asking.
Johnny
I think I saw another thread about this topic.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab

I agree. It would be really cool if the Hatter could offer customizations. Of course, then we would all be spending even more on Akubra hats instead of only focusing on buying one in each color. I've noticed Akubra appears to be discontinuing quite a few of their models (Hampton, Rap, the Trilby, and probably others I can't remember). I hope they aren't struggling. Maybe some of this is the pandemic, or they are adapting their models offered to accommodate the most popular styles.

...I've noticed Akubra appears to be discontinuing quite a few of their models (Hampton, Rap, the Trilby, and probably others I can't remember). I hope they aren't struggling. Maybe some of this is the pandemic, or they are adapting their models offered to accommodate the most popular styles.
My guess is that they may have been wanting to discontinue a few models that weren't selling as well as others, and they're using the pandemic as an excuse of sorts to do just that. Or they might simply be putting lesser-selling models on the back burner for a while to prioritize the hats that earn their profits.

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I know the feeling after doing my first bashing/forming of a Campdraft. Considering one additional hat just for experiments :)
I acquired an open crown Akubra Bushman a few years ago and told myself that it was NOT precious, but rather my "guinea pig" hat - all new procedures or techniques would be practiced on the Bushman before attempting them on another "good" hat. You guessed correctly: it is now one of my favorite hats. It is worn and beaten, but it will hold several different bashes, without many visible ghost creases, just because I've worked it so much.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I’ve been pondering changing the thin ribbon on my 2007 silverbelly Campdraft, tried one out today, curious to know what folks think. I’ve also started experimenting with more fun ribbon colors, hence the blue.

Apologies for the mediocre photo... View attachment 448976

I really like that color combination, but on my monitor that hat looks tan or fawn colored rather than silverbelly, so I'm wondering what the real colors look like? It's notoriously tough to get accurate color representation from real life to a computer screen. Anyway, I like the colors I see. ;)

jeff

One of the Regulars
So, Woodtroll, you have stepped into a conundrum that I’ve had for 15 years.

I ordered a campdraft online in 2007 in silverbelly.

About a year later i bought a territory in sand.

To my eye they are the same color. I don’t know if one of the orders is wrong, or a mistake, or if Akubra’s sand and silver belly are the same?

Here are some different photos:

The second is the campdraft (upper left), territory (upper right), and a silver belly Stetson (bottom) overlapping.
Both photos with flash, both auto white balanced (iPhone X)

Attachments

• B27487CE-92A6-4F29-BB74-C83C66B11381.jpeg
    B27487CE-92A6-4F29-BB74-C83C66B11381.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • B916B183-FDF9-47A4-A776-0C2E9A456D04.jpeg
    B916B183-FDF9-47A4-A776-0C2E9A456D04.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member