Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I think you guys have convinced me that I need a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. I wish I had known about the FL edition when it was available, as I have pretty much decided that a 2.5 inch brim is ideal for me. Even so, I think I could get used to the standard width. That being said, what is the current consensus on the best place from which to purchase? BG is apparently sold out everywhere. Everything Australian had the best base price, and they say 6 months. Other sites don’t even give an estimate. Do you think that is accurate, or are they just being conservative?

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Why not grasp the nettle, and simply phone up Akubra?

I suspect that someone with at least a rudimentary command of English will pick up the phone.
I have an email into Akubra. I don't want to apply any sort of steam unless I'm sure I'm keeping the hat. And the jury is still out on that.

I suspect the brim can't be reshaped because of the reed inside that has a memory shape built in.

Last edited:

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
I think you guys have convinced me that I need a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. I wish I had known about the FL edition when it was available, as I have pretty much decided that a 2.5 inch brim is ideal for me. Even so, I think I could get used to the standard width. That being said, what is the current consensus on the best place from which to purchase? BG is apparently sold out everywhere. Everything Australian had the best base price, and they say 6 months. Other sites don’t even give an estimate. Do you think that is accurate, or are they just being conservative?
I got the last CD in Bluegrass Green in my size from Hats Direct about two weeks ago. They were an absolute pleasure to deal with. Email them and ask the time line--I imagine it's months out because of how the Akubra factory seems to be working, but I could be wrong.

BlackSmp

New in Town
Why not grasp the nettle, and simply phone up Akubra?

I suspect that someone with at least a rudimentary command of English will pick up the phone.
Does Akubra deliver outside of Australia?

When I checked their website it looked like it was Australia only.

Attachments

• Greenshot 2023-02-18 21.17.02.png
    Greenshot 2023-02-18 21.17.02.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 54

Sincityhatcollector

Familiar Face
Does Akubra deliver outside of Australia?

When I checked their website it looked like it was Australia only.
For the states you can go to Akubra-usa.com which redirects to David Morgan. There you can search for local US dealers or purchase directly from them. The other option if you're patient and want a broader selection of colors is goto Hats Direct or other AUS. based dealers that will ship internationally.

BlackSmp

New in Town
For the states you can go to Akubra-usa.com which redirects to David Morgan. There you can search for local US dealers or purchase directly from them. The other option if you're patient and want a broader selection of colors is goto Hats Direct or other AUS. based dealers that will ship internationally.
I know. I was replying to another post and should not have written that as a question.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Cool (cold?) hat, house and dog!
We love our house. We downsized from a huge Tudor (c1930) when we became empty nesters, and are back to a Mid Century Modern (1964) with no stairs and two bedrooms--it's the same kind of house we grew up in, and there's a reason these were so popular with our parent's generation, post WWII.

And Gigi (yes--we went total cliche) is a whip smart standard poodle who is an agility champ.

4CF25E64-D8E0-49EF-965A-3850E9B122C4.jpeg

And because this is a hat forum:
5C1128B0-43EB-4F35-B07E-1E3243D4E07D.jpeg

Here I am as Chas. Dickens in a publicity shot, sporting a topper c. 1910. the top hat is NOT an Akubra :)

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Say Friends: Does anyone have an Akubra Sydney and can comment? I have located one in my size. I'm wondering if, besides the fun of the open crown, it will be any different than the Stylemasters I have?

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
I have received my Campdraft in black from David Morgan (the Traveler went back.) Just put a simple bash in it. Very pleased with the hat, and this completes my Campdraft journey unless Akubra adds more colors: Sand, Bluegrass Green, and now Black. A good assortment.
IMG_6085.JPG
IMG_6086.JPG

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
Say Friends: Does anyone have an Akubra Sydney and can comment? I have located one in my size. I'm wondering if, besides the fun of the open crown, it will be any different than the Stylemasters I have?
I don't own a Sydney, but I handled several and tried a few on at David Morgan 2019-2020. The Sydney brim has a raw edge, so that will be different from your Stylemaster.

The Sydneys I handled were of a thin felt so soft that David Morgan would not guarantee that their steamed-in bash would last through shipment. The ones I handled kind of felt like the kind of hat that you might re-crease every time you wear it. I thought it was a pretty cool hat. I'm a bound-brim guy, or I would have bought one.

Snowman

Practically Family
Currently, Everything Australia‘s page is showing “Leaves Warehouse in 1 Business Day“ for the BGGCD.

I just received mine from them. It was ordered at the end of October, and I was told it was a six month wait. They got it to me in four. That MAY mean that production/stock has accelerated to meet demand. My experience with them was good, I just had to accept that wait time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner