Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Chinaski

One Too Many
elvisroe said:
The most common broad-brimmed hat you see around the CBD would be the leather "outback" variety...although they tend to be accompanied by a backpack and a couple of didgeridoo shaped packages.
It's very much the tourist look.;)

I've gotta ask: What is the CBD? I'm sure it's something I should know and I'll think it was simple once you tell me! (But maybe not.)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Sorry, as a jouranlist I sometimes slip in to news speak! [huh]

CBD is the "Central Business District" otherwise called city-centre, downtown, inner city...you get the idea.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Remember Derby Day

To all the hat brothers ... and sisters ... down under ....

Just a reminder that this Friday is the first ever International Derby Day ...

Wear a rolled brim hat ... derby, bowler, homburg, whatever, for the day or for the evening, just to show the world they are still out there

I don't know if Akubra ever made a pencil-roll brim, but I once did one on an Open Road by hand and it turned out looking terrific!

Hope you all join in!

Sam

elvisroe

A-List Customer
3249167376_bed67fcece.jpg

It'd be nice if this one was available...without the beads and feather of course!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
That is the perfect rolled brim ... without the, what you said, of course.

I've watched the movie a couple of times and I still can't make out what he's got wrapped around there, but it looks uncomfortable.

Nice hat otherwise.

Happy IDD,

Sam

frussell

One Too Many
Nice Brim

I wasn't able to stomach that movie for much longer than about twenty minutes, but I seem to remember that it was a bandana or something like that wrapped around Hugh's crown, not sure what the silvery stuff was. I do like that kettle-curl brim though. Looks good on a regular brim width. Thanks, Frank

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
elvisroe said:

It'd be nice if this one was available...without the beads and feather of course!

I had a chat yesterday with the maker of Hugh's hat, Rosie Boylan. She told me she was going for a cross between a homburg and a cowboy hat. Great look - and you're right elvis, it would sell. Rosie tells me it won an award for best movie hat that year. (There's an award for best movie hat??).

xwray

Familiar Face
elvisroe said:
Looks good to me - although I'd suggst a bit less on the "A"s...
More like "uh-kooob-ruh";)

I like the sound of that...sorta rolls off the tongue. I have no hat wearing friends nor do I own any hats...just ordered my first one. Now I'll know how to tell my san-sa-hat friends what it is on my head.

Is this a great country or what...a couple days ago I never heard of Akubra. A day ago I couldn't pronounce it. And in a couple of days I'll be wearing one.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
elvisroe said:
Looks good to me - although I'd suggst a bit less on the "A"s...
More like "uh-kooob-ruh";)

Bloody southern news readers lowering the standards again! It's an A - "A-koo-bra" with emphasis on the koo, as Deputy suggested.

But I admit to being a pedant.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
elvisroe said:

As for this hat, elvis, give Rosie a call (she's not too far from you) and she'll make one for you. She generally charges around $300 for a bespoke lid. I'm not sure if that applies to a modified A-koo-bra (say it with me) like Mr Jackman's.

xwray

Familiar Face
elvisroe said:
So what'd you order xwray?

Well, keep in mind I don't really know what I'm doing. My Criteria went along these lines:

I think the vintage fedora type hats a lot of you wear are very nice and I like the look but I'm not sure I am a fedora type person. Since I know nothing of vintage quality it would not do for me to try that route in any event. I want one hat that I will wear when I wear a hat and I want it in a western flavor but not the flavor most westerns seem to be styled in at least to my novice eye.

I had intended to buy a modern Stetson (what else is there for a Texan?) until I found this place. After going forumblind reading all I could and listening to the excellent advice here and because I try to be quality conscious as much as I can I my fixation on a Stetson morphed into a fixation on Akubra and I actually came to that conclusion before I even knew the details of what Akubra offered. All I needed to do was to figure out which style I liked the most. For whatever reason the Overlander Dark Fawn spoke to me the loudest and that is what I ordered.

We will see...I have much to learn about hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany