Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Jerekson

One Too Many
AlterEgo said:
Jerekson,

Your Aussie Military Slouch Hat looks a lot different from mine: Brim appears narrower and has no binding, crown seems to have more taper, color looks more fawn and less green, the pug is joined at the front with a vertical seam and has more pleats, there is no chin strap visible, and the brim is turned up on the RIGHT side (or perhaps you are wearing it backwards).

Mine I had as a kid, and the 6 3/4 size renders it far to small to wear on my now-7 1/8 head, but I'm thinking of getting a new one, and now I see yours that looks so different from my circa-1968 one and the current ones I've seen in catalogues and online. So, please, tell me more about your hat--it looks great!

The hat I got is from whatpriceglory.com/onlinemilitaria.net - it's a reproduction of the World War II era slouch. This model was different from the others (i.e., like yours from the sixties) in that it had no binding and the brim was held up with a snap instead of the little pin affair on later models (it's a lot more rugged that way, I love it).

The reason it seems tapered is because a) I reblocked it and b) I put a different bash in it than usual - it's a deep center crease instead of the "cattleman's" crease that it came with.

The brim is up on the left side - I took the pictures in a mirror!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Selvaggio said:
Hi Xwray, I would have a discussion with your supplier about size before concluding it is too big for you. It may be too big, but the questions is, by how much?

The way we tend to by Akubra's down her in Oz, is we buy them a littel big and wear them with shims until the sweatband shrinks to size - a process much aided by a hot and sweaty climate. Then we remove the shims.

So if yours is only a little too big this may be okay - you may just need to wear it as the weather starts to warm up. Of course by then, if it is really too big, even when worn in, it will be too late to exchange it.

Also, it is better for a hat to be a little too big than a little too small (as it will give you a head ache and you will never wear it).

AlterEgo, as to the sand colour showing the dirt, based on my very scientific research, in rural New South Wales (my home state) sand is by far the most popular colour (especially amongst the younger folk). And yes it shows the dirt.. and yes that is, in my view, exactly why it is popular. The grubbier and more beaten up your Akubra the more kudos is yours...

_696307%20copy.jpg
Who's the one in the hat?[huh]

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
More Green Campdrafts On the Way

I was too slow. Two of you beat me to a size 60 Green Campdraft. Sam did tell me, though, that more are on the way. I am letting my order ride and get one on the next shipment. Here is Sam's note to me:

++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for your order.

I have a little problem , I had 2 hats in the Campdraft Blue Grass green size 60 in stock and I had 3 orders for the same hat over the weekend , your was the last.

I will now have some more stock in this colour in Early May.

I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Kind Regards,

Sam Menche

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Yep, xwray, if the 7 1/8 does not pass the bend-forward-stay-put test, then you probably need a 7.

Furthermore, in my experience, Heritage Collection Akubras--the felt of which is denser--only shrink a little bit, much less than the half-size of the Imperial Quality.

Nevertheless, I think you made a good decision to get the 7 and compare it with the 7 1/8 before sending one back. When I've branched out to buy a hat in a brand I've never had before, I just get two sizes to begin with, knowing one will go back. Only they've usually BOTH gone back after I see that they're not up to the quality of an Akubra! These more-expensive non-keepers included Stetson, Christys', Biltmore.

Did your vendor--where'd you say you bought the Overlander?--send shims with the hat? Most do, but if you end up deciding on the larger size, punt the adhesive-backed foam type and instead use strip(s) of wool felt just a bit narrower than the sweatband. Any shim will wrinkle the sweat a tad, but it smooths out after you put the hat on. White felt's best, as you can be sure it won't stain, and you can get it in rolls at most any fabric store and at Target in sheets. Costs next to nothing.

Enjoy, and keep in touch, 'cause this ain't yore last hat--they're a wonderful addiction!

xwray

Familiar Face
AlterEgo said:
Yep, xwray, if the 7 1/8 does not pass the bend-forward-stay-put test, then you probably need a 7.

Furthermore, in my experience, Heritage Collection Akubras--the felt of which is denser--only shrink a little bit, much less than the half-size of the Imperial Quality.

Nevertheless, I think you made a good decision to get the 7 and compare it with the 7 1/8 before sending one back. When I've branched out to buy a hat in a brand I've never had before, I just get two sizes to begin with, knowing one will go back. Only they've usually BOTH gone back after I see that they're not up to the quality of an Akubra! These more-expensive non-keepers included Stetson, Christys', Biltmore.

Did your vendor--where'd you say you bought the Overlander?--send shims with the hat? Most do, but if you end up deciding on the larger size, punt the adhesive-backed foam type and instead use strip(s) of wool felt just a bit narrower than the sweatband. Any shim will wrinkle the sweat a tad, but it smooths out after you put the hat on. White felt's best, as you can be sure it won't stain, and you can get it in rolls at most any fabric store and at Target in sheets. Costs next to nothing.

Enjoy, and keep in touch, 'cause this ain't yore last hat--they're a wonderful addiction!

I bought the hat from David Morgan...I couldn't ask for better service and they did include the shims but I didn't like the way they felt and I'd rather start my first hat experience without resorting to a makeshift approach...I'm pretty anal about that sort of thing,

One interesting thing maybe somebody can answer...David Morgan is the only vendor that seems to carry the Overland...I don't even see it on the Akubra website. Is it one of those proprietary styles that I have read about that only David Morgan carries?

Whatever, I sure do like it.

theinterchange

One Too Many
With a big THANKS to Mike Moore, I present....

My trimmed down Squatter.

IMG_1397.jpg

The brim is now 2 1/2" instead of 3. At 3", it really overpowered me and looked funny. Now, it looks similar to this hat.

album-nothing-but-the-best.jpg

I need to work on the brim and bash a little, but Mike's work on cutting it down is fantastic! I couldn't have tackled this job without breaking into a sweat over getting it right. ;)

Randy

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
theinterchange said:

IMG_1397.jpg

The brim is now 2 1/2" instead of 3. At 3", it really overpowered me and looked funny. Now, it looks similar to this hat.

I need to work on the brim and bash a little, but Mike's work on cutting it down is fantastic! I couldn't have tackled this job without breaking into a sweat over getting it right. ;)

Randy

"Start spreadin' the news. I'm trimmin' today. I want to be a part of it, a cut-down Squatter..."

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
theinterchange said:

IMG_1397.jpg

Randy
It looks very good on you, I like it like that!

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
xwray said:
I bought the hat from David Morgan...I couldn't ask for better service and they did include the shims but I didn't like the way they felt and I'd rather start my first hat experience without resorting to a makeshift approach...I'm pretty anal about that sort of thing,

One interesting thing maybe somebody can answer...David Morgan is the only vendor that seems to carry the Overland...I don't even see it on the Akubra website. Is it one of those proprietary styles that I have read about that only David Morgan carries?

Whatever, I sure do like it.

Actually, xwray, putting shims under the sweat of a new hat is not at all makeshift, but rather standard operating procedure, as fur felt hats should fit a bit large at first and then gradually shrink due to the moisture of perspiration and rain. You'll be sorry if you choose the size that's a perfectly snug fit first time you put it on.

Other vendors carry the Overlander, though I've seen one with a hat band different from the braided leather one on David Morgan's--which I think is great looking. (DM's only proprietary Akubra is the Adventurer, an Indiana Jones facsimile.) Unfortunately, Akubra's own website is poor, so you cannot rely on it for available styles, colors, or much of anything, really.

Post some pics of you wearing your Overlander when you decide on the size.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
After experimenting with the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade bash, I've decided to do something different with my Federation IV.

Here's what it looks like on me now:

dsc00231yj.jpg

dsc00235g.jpg

dsc00236t.jpg

It appears to be slightly tapered in the last shot, but it must be the way I bashed it at the sides. Not to mention, I was in the rain today with it.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Sawn-off Cattleman

I put some progress pix up in the conversion corral but thought I'd whack my newly reduced and slightly fedorarised Cattleman in among the Akubras as well. I've taken about 3/4 of an inch off the brim, raised the crown a tad (not much there to work with!) and ditched the leather thong in favour of a thinnish ribbon.

DSCN3694.jpg

AlanD

Familiar Face
Changing ribbon width

I am really new to fedoras, but after reading so many posts about the Akubra Camp Draft and looking at so many great looking hats posted here, I am really considering one. However, the wider hat ribbons really are more appealing to me. I find no hat makers in my vicinity to check with as to cost, so could you guys lead this poor child to some basic knowledge about this?

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
elvisroe said:
I put some progress pix up in the conversion corral but thought I'd whack my newly reduced and slightly fedorarised Cattleman in among the Akubras as well. I've taken about 3/4 of an inch off the brim, raised the crown a tad (not much there to work with!) and ditched the leather thong in favour of a thinnish ribbon.

DSCN3694.jpg

Hey, I'm a new member here, after trolling TFL for a couple years now...I just ordered a Cattleman of Ebay, and am anxiously awaiting it. It'll be my first Akubra, and it'll be my outdoors/fishing/camping/gardening hat. I'm not sure how I will like the wide brim, as all my other hat brims are a bit smaller. So, can anyone refer me to a thread on how to trim your hat brim? Thanks and look forward to being a part of the Lounge!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
AlanD said:
I am really new to fedoras, but after reading so many posts about the Akubra Camp Draft and looking at so many great looking hats posted here, I am really considering one. However, the wider hat ribbons really are more appealing to me. I find no hat makers in my vicinity to check with as to cost, so could you guys lead this poor child to some basic knowledge about this?
Welcome to the Lounge, AlanD! I can think of several alternatives that could accomplish this. First of all, if you decide on the Camp Draft, check with the vendor and ask if they'll swap out the ribbon. It may cost a small fee, and I don't know if they'll do it, but it's worth asking. Second, if that doesn't work, perhaps a local western store does any hat work. (I have a sneaking hunch that you can find a western store in SW Missouri. ;) ) Third, check with Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters. He goes by "majormoore" on the Lounge and he's just outside of Memphis, TN. He can do the work, and he's a great guy to work with. Finally, check out a thread called "The Conversion Corral." If I can do a ribbon swap, anybody can!

Elvisroe, I really like what you did with that Cattleman!

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Bluegrass Green Campdraft from Everything Australian

Here's the Bluegrass Green Campdraft from Everything Australian.

It arrived Friday and it rained all day yesterday. Perfect weather for an extended get acquainted session with a new hat.

Followed by a 3 hour hike today to add a lot of sweat to the more than abundant rain water from yesterday.

So far no spotting or any other troubles. Now I see why everyone loves their Akubras and I will not hesitate to recommend them.

AkubraCampdraftFeb2820103.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot