Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I have no idea what my face shape is, I'm not sure what Akubra to buy next. I've established that I don't like taper all that much, so that eliminates: Hampton, Bogart, Fedora, possibly Stylemaster, Casual, Stingy, Trilby, and maybe the Squatter and CEO...
...That leaves Top Hat, possibly Homburg or Whippet, Rap, Campdraft, FedIV standard and Deluxe, and...that's it.
Campdraft is out because colors are too bright, Rap is out cause I don't like porkpies, Top Hat is out...no need for explanation there...
...so that leaves the Whippet, Homburg, FedIV. Homburg is only available in black, so that's gone. Whippet or Fed.

I think with this face shape...
FaceShape1.jpg

...that I need a Federation IV with a center dent and round edges in either Carbon Grey or Heritage Fawn...

EDIT: I'm actually considering a homburg or bowler, but I just don't know anymore...

Neophyte

Yeah, I've never quite thought of myself as country.
I'm very much a product or urban/suburban upbringing.

Plus, I very much admire the fedora, bowler, homburg, etc...
I'm very comfortable wearing a brimmed hat, just trying to figure out what look works for me.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
I've always enjoyed looking at your Squatters, especially the black "fence shield". I don't know how yours avoided the severe Aussie brim curl that my wg Squatter has, but it looks great. And that hat looks great, is it a DavidMorgan Moonstone?

Thanks!

It's steel grey I believe. Imported by David Morgan.

Neophyte

That seems way too light for Steel Grey, which is right at or beside Carbon Grey on their swatches. Of course, that's all subjective depending on how old the hat is.

At any rate, it looks striking.

Tone

A-List Customer
CRH said:
Thanks!

It's steel grey I believe. Imported by David Morgan.

Imported?! Why, you don't mean...as in the way they've been representing Akubra and importing their hats in the U.S. since the 1960's, do you?! Imported! That's somethin'! Used to be a guy in Kentucky'd just drive himself on up to Australia and get his own Akubra when gas was cheaper. That or they'd just head on down to the Akubra factory by Ol' Peckerwood Way (just behind the Mayflower market) near Aunt Maybelle's farm - that right turn - the shack with all them hats, you know it... The Akubras here in the states...practically a household name back in the 60's... Ever'body had 'em a Akubra back in the day before this interweb.

Don't know why, though, with all this "imported" business and all. [huh] They shoulda used the web back then.

Neophyte

You know what...screw it. The Squatter is my favorite hat, and looks better on me than even the damn FedIV.

I'm gonna get a Fawn Squatter from DavidMorgan, I'll post pics when it arrives.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
I thought it looked like moonstone. Looks like mine anyhow. Also, David Morgan offers the Squatter in moonstone, fawn and black.

Well, then, it looks like it's moonstone. I just had a notion that moonstone was much lighter. I think I need one. :eusa_doh:

Neophyte

Well, you guys that have been keeping up with the state of my Federation IV will be happy to know that using a shower, a spoon, and a LOT of steam, I successfully managed to ding out the fudged bash I got it stuck in. It has now become a taller teardrop with absolutely no noticable taper. Just straight-sides here, baby!

Problem is, it does not look good on me (except at an angle, but that doesn't count). My strong chin, straight cheeks and "manly" jaw look really squarish, rectangular on my face, and the FedIV, while good looking on its own, just does not jive with my appearance. the Squatter, with its very slight taper and rounded appearance, is still the best looking when on my noggin. So I guess my next hat will be a DavidMorgan Squatter in Mid-Fawn.

As soon as I get my new Squatter (brown will match a lot more of my wardrobe than green), I'll experiment with a brim trim on the Willow green. I'm thinking 2.5" all around....

Neophyte

I have sent an email to DavidMorgan requesting pics of their Mid-Fawn color (looks close to brown on the website, but I'm always wary when I hear "Fawn" in the description). If they actually find the time to send them, would anybody like me to post them here?
I feel another Squatter coming later this month or early August. :D

frussell

One Too Many
Campdraft with Wide Ribbon

I had just purchased this Taupe Fawn Campdraft when a fellow Lounger hooked me up with a mid-brown Stratoliner. I sent the CD to Major Moore, who put a nice wide ribbon on it. I'm happy with how it turned out. I like the Campdraft dimensions, but I'm not a full-on thin ribbon guy (yet). Frank
P7190921.jpg
[/IMG]
P7210927.jpg
[/IMG]
P7210928.jpg
[/IMG]

The Good

Call Me a Cab
This is probably a stupid question, but here it goes.

The Akubra Federation IV is supposed to be based on a 1930s fedora design, but does the actual hat block date to the 1930s, or 1940s? I know that it is a vintage hat block that they are using, and it supposedly hasn't been in use for over thirty years or so. Also, can the Federation even pass as a typical 1940s style fedora, or are there some different features by this decade that would theoretically make it stand out a bit?

Thank you. I'm pretty sure my next lid'll be a moonstone Fed IV, if I'm not quite feeling the Campdraft...

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
J B said:
The Akubra Federation IV is supposed to be based on a 1930s fedora design, but does the actual hat block date to the 1930s, or 1940s? I know that it is a vintage hat block that they are using, and it supposedly hasn't been in use for over thirty years or so. Also, can the Federation even pass as a typical 1940s style fedora, or are there some different features by this decade that would theoretically make it stand out a bit?
Sorry about the OT, but I simply have to ask: Are you building a time machine, by any chance?

Neophyte

I had recently asked the customer service at DavidMorgan to provide me with a picture of their Akubra Squatter in Mid-Fawn. It seems that they are soon to be updating several of their websites hat photos, and sent me this pic to show me what the new Squatter photo will look like. :eusa_clap Beautiful, isn't it:

Original Squatter photo:
1610fwn_lg6.jpg

New Squatter pic, open crown:

SquatterMidFawn.jpg

Sydney, Regency Fawn:
1620reg_lg6.jpg

Which one do you guys like better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW