Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess Akubra's sales have slowed a bit if the last few pages (you know, the ones filled with my "will I, won't I" ramblings about my next hat) are filled with my posts to the extent that they are...I apologize. I think I may be one of those guys who likes to...watch themselves type (?).
Anyway, I'm gonna move my ramblings to the Campdraft thread. I'll be back when I've got something...material, to show you fine gents. Cheers.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
I had a chat yesterday with the maker of Hugh's hat, Rosie Boylan. She told me she was going for a cross between a homburg and a cowboy hat. Great look - and you're right elvis, it would sell. Rosie tells me it won an award for best movie hat that year. (There's an award for best movie hat??).

I know I'm pulling this from a good number of pages back, but did she happen to mention what color the felt was? It's always hard to get a "real" idea of what colors things are in films as they tend to either bump up the color or mute it.

For my money, it looks like a variety of fawn, but could be off base.

Randy

P.S The quote didn't include the photo of Jackman from the film Australia for some reason.

theinterchange

One Too Many
For Neophyte.

Here's the photo of my Squatter just after buying it. Yes, I've posted it before, but it was asked for. ;)

DSCN0164-Edit.jpg

Though, since then, I've had the brim trimmed down to 2 1/2". I can't seem to find the photo I posted previously. :eusa_doh: I'll have to take another tomorrow.

Randy

Neophyte

Now I remember that photo...it looks great. I've been thinking about trimming mine, but since it matches my rain gear in color, I've decided to keep it "stock". It's my favorite weather hat, but it won't be my everyday hat.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks!

I still can't track down the other photo I took after the trim. Oh well, I'll take another tomorrow if I get the chance.

But, in other news, I sold a hat today and have already ordered its replacement, a tawny fawn Federation. :fing28: [I've never seen that smiley used so it felt appropriate!]

Randy

Neophyte

Um...isn't that the "finger" smiley...lol

At any rate, congratulations. Post pics when it arrives.

By the way, what kinda hat did you sell?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Um...isn't that the "finger" smiley...lol

At any rate, congratulations. Post pics when it arrives.

By the way, what kinda hat did you sell?

It looked more like the "Arsenio Hall" smiley to me. haha

Will post pics for sure!

I sold a Penman rabbit. I'm of the thought that when you get past a few hats and you want another, one that doesn't get much wear must go.

Neophyte

HaHaHaHa...when I looked up that smiley's code, it said "finger." lol

At any rate, after much deliberation, and time in the mirror, I've made a decision. After a few days of in-the-mirror modeling (a behavior I know ALL of you are guilty of), I've come to several conclusions about how I like my hats.

First off, I don't like the look of my FedIV when viewed face-to-face. While it looks good at angles and the sides, I don't much like how the straight sides look. The sort of match up with the lines of my cheeks (which are mostly straight) and extend the look of my head, giving my face a "rectangle" appearance I don't much like. The hat looks good cocked to one side, but that's not really how I like to wear my hats...

Second, I LOVE my Fedora and Squatter. The Squatter looks a little to evocative of that Australian "look" for me, though, and has been relegated to favored weather hat position. The Fedora is too short right now, but that is because I put in a teardrop bash rather than a center dent, but I love the taper. The taper matches well to the sharp taper of my jaw between my rugged, straight cheeks ;) and my manly, clefted square chin lol ;) . It looks really, really pleasant, at least to my eye...

I think the next hat you see when I contribute my next Akubra to this thread will be a Burnt Oak Fedora, or maybe and Acorn Fawn Stylemaster (though Acorn Fawn looks light enough to "wash out" my complexion.

I'm glad to finally have found the look I like :).

jbucklin

Practically Family
Neophyte, I hate to plug a different hat brand on an Akubra thread, but I just spent over an hour at the Hatco Outlet in Garland trying on different fedoras and thought about you a lot. My research has revealed to me that these Stetsons---the Temple, the Chatham, and the Firenze---are outstanding hats, rivaling Akubra as far as style and quality go. Ignore the naysayers here who would have you never consider a modern Stetson. You would just have to try some on for yourself to see.

Neophyte

Oh, JBucklin! It was nice knowing you. :D

:kick: lol

At any rate, I've also considered the modern Stetsons (oddly, the exact one's you mentioned). However, I've wondered about their bad-weather durability (people say the dye process Stetson uses make the dye prone to running in the rain). I also would like to know exactly what they're made of, because they are a good $50 more, on average, than my Akubras.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Squatter Offhead

My Squatter as it is now, brim at 2 1/2".

IMG_5472.jpg

I would have taken on head photos but I've got a killer headache and don't feel like looking nice for the camera. :(

This hat is one I have to constantly tweak to keep as I want it. In contrast, my Fed Deluxe is a fix it once, it stays as you style it hat. I guess that's part of the fun though, tweaking it as you go.

While I've been guilty of judging modern Stetsons because of a few friends who've had issues with them, I'm still a bit gun shy of paying retail for one. I know Mr. Paladin swears by [not at] his outlet Stetsons and if I were to have Stetson outlet access, I'd give one a shot. On second thought, I'd probably spend too much on hats if I could pop over to a shop every week!

Randy

jbucklin

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
Oh, JBucklin! It was nice knowing you. :D

:kick: lol

At any rate, I've also considered the modern Stetsons (oddly, the exact one's you mentioned). However, I've wondered about their bad-weather durability (people say the dye process Stetson uses make the dye prone to running in the rain). I also would like to know exactly what they're made of, because they are a good $50 more, on average, than my Akubras.

Not if you buy them from the Outlet. ;)

Neophyte

How the hell did you get a Squatter with no perceivable taper?

At any rate, it is a beautiful hat. Like you, my Fed IV will not budge from it's current bash, no matter how much steam and shower I torture it with.

Hey guys, ya might wanna move this to some Stetson thread...who knows what'll happen...shhhhhhhh

Neophyte

jbucklin said:
Not if you buy them from the Outlet. ;)

I live in Tennesse, where there are practically ZERO hat stores. I'm assuming this outlet is in Texas, which is WAY outta state. As much as I love hats, I can't justify the plane trip (or road trip).

If I did order a Stetson, it would be the same situation as Akubra...press the button and hope to God ya get lucky lol .

jbucklin

Practically Family
I asked the about mail-orders and they will do it and only charge $10 for shipping. They are very nice people, and you can get a Temple, Chatham, or Firenze for much lower than the prices you find on the internet.

Neophyte

Sorry about all these Stetson posts, my fellow loungers. To make it up to you guys, here's a couple of pics of my Akubra Fedora. This hat is my most comfortable hat, and my only grey one, too.

Fedora.jpg

Fedora2.jpg

SydneyAbove.jpg

SydneyBehind.jpg

SydneySideShot.jpg

SydneyForward.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
How the hell did you get a Squatter with no perceivable taper?

At any rate, it is a beautiful hat. Like you, my Fed IV will not budge from it's current bash, no matter how much steam and shower I torture it with.

I don't know! When ordering, I expected much more taper than it has. There is taper, but it's not as pronounced as on some of the other Squatters I see.

The reason behind the trimming of the brim is simple, one comment from my mother about the hat looking like something Tim McGraw would wear. :eek: That and the fact that I was wearing a country hat as a city hat made the brim feel quite wide on me. If I were wearing it for outdoor pursuits, it would be uncut.

Randy

P.S please note that comments usually don't sway me to make changes, but being compared to Tim McGraw's just going too far!

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
I don't know! When ordering, I expected much more taper than it has. There is taper, but it's not as pronounced as on some of the other Squatters I see.

The reason behind the trimming of the brim is simple, one comment from my mother about the hat looking like something Tim McGraw would wear. :eek: That and the fact that I was wearing a country hat as a city hat made the brim feel quite wide on me. If I were wearing it for outdoor pursuits, it would be uncut.

Randy

P.S please note that comments usually don't sway me to make changes, but being compared to Tim McGraw's just going too far!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff