Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lol lol lol lol lol

Don't worry guys. I like the Fed. When I said it needed some work, I meant on the brim. The brim is uneven, but you can't tell at this angle.

I have considered trimming the binding off the Squatter. I kinda like the look of a raw edge. However, I feel that, as my dedicated "weather" hat, the binding helps keep the brim snappy and stable, which helps with wind and heavy rain, and the steep curvature of the brim helps to protect from sun and rain, no matter what angle those elements are assaulting me from.

Also, I don't think the Campdraft will look at all like a Fed for two reasons: 1.) The Federation is not offered in a green color and 2.) the 2.88'' brim on the Camdraft means that it will be about 0.5'' wider on all sides than my Fed IV, not to mention the nearly 6'' tall crown (open).

I may just save up for a custom hat from Art, but then I wouldn't be posting on this thread, would I?

lol lol lol That's great, Tone! I actually imagined myself walking around my college campus with my head turned at a 3/4 angle and my Fed cocked to one side.....Oh the looks I would get :cool:

Tone

A-List Customer
Well, keep experimenting. You're bound to find a happy medium eventually. ;)

Almost forgot. E-train, your hat looks great, btw.

Neophyte

I can keep experimenting, but there's only so much I can do. The brim, all the way around, shorter than stated by about 0.20''. The sides are only 2.3'' and the front and back are only 2.56'' which unfortunately makes a big difference in the look of the hat, at least on my head. It has also developed some taper which makes it really hard to bash a tall center crease. I'm also starting to realize that with the greens and greys that I have, the Dark Brown is my least favorite color.

I'm actually planning on buying a Tawny/Taupe Fawn Federation IV soon, as I've realized I'm not as prone to being "washed out" as I thought.
Carpazo, another lounger, has similar hair color and skin tone to mine, and look what he can do:

4.jpg

I think that this color will go better with all my green shirts and blue jeans better than the dark brown does.

Still though, now that I've taken out the liner, the Federation is my most comfortable "summer" felt hat. I barely notice that it's on my head half of the time. :) I love the hat and will definitely keep it in my rotation, but due to understandable mistakes made (this was my first hat, ever, after all), it is no longer suitable for the functions for which I intended to use it.

Next time I will make sure HatsDirect measures the brim. Right now my Sydney looks like a bigger hat than the Federation IV, and that hat has taper and low crown!

jbucklin

Practically Family
Neo, ask lots of women what they think of how you look in your hats. I have been surprised many times by the positive reactions I get from them---especially my wife. I did not think she would like the Fed and she loves it. She's also brutally honest about hats that I think look good when they really don't. [huh]

Tone

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
I can keep experimenting, but there's only so much I can do. The brim, all the way around, shorter than stated by about 0.20''. The sides are only 2.3'' and the front and back are only 2.56'' which unfortunately makes a big difference in the look of the hat, at least on my head. It has also developed some taper which makes it really hard to bash a tall center crease. I'm also starting to realize that with the greens and greys that I have, the Dark Brown is my least favorite color.

I'm actually planning on buying a Tawny/Taupe Fawn Federation IV soon, as I've realized I'm not as prone to being "washed out" as I thought.
Carpazo, another lounger, has similar hair color and skin tone to mine, and look what he can do:

4.jpg

I think that this color will go better with all my green shirts and blue jeans better than the dark brown does.

Still though, now that I've taken out the liner, the Federation is my most comfortable "summer" felt hat. I barely notice that it's on my head half of the time. :) I love the hat and will definitely keep it in my rotation, but due to understandable mistakes made (this was my first hat, ever, after all), it is no longer suitable for the functions for which I intended to use it.

Next time I will make sure HatsDirect measures the brim. Right now my Sydney looks like a bigger hat than the Federation IV, and that hat has taper and low crown!

Seems there's a new trend for everyone to water down the FED IV to try and get some kind of shape out of it that isn't there with normal styling. Caparzo's hat looks like a nice, tall crown heavy FED III. Yes, if you're going for a taller version of the FED IV's dimensions, definitely grab a Campdraft and trim the brim to get the same effect.

Or, just C-crown the Campdraft, leave the brim that's on it and have a good proportioned hat.

Neophyte

JBucklin, I wouldn't call most of the women I know (I'm in college)...respectable. By this I mean that they are not women whose opinion I would consider, especially since it's hard to find the sober ones. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, as it's very ungentlemen-like for me to say so (I also tend to generalize). I came straight out of the Bible Belt, and well, I guess I'd have to say I was sheltered... Those that are, well, I can never tell if they're serious or not (I guess it's courtesy). I can't even trust my own mom's opinion because she's just glad to see I've got a hobby, and she's sweet and tries to support it. I think the best gauge is to just walk around confidently and see what happens (giggles or compliments, whatever the case...). If I do see some nice girls, I'll be sure to ask them.

Tone, you may be right. I'm fairly certain he said it was a FedIV, but it does look rather tall. It might just be a FedIII.
I'd consider the Campdraft, but I'm not sure if the Tawny Fawn and Taupe Fawn are the same color. They look similar and are on the same swatch on Akubra's color swatches, but they look so different in all the photos I've seen around.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep switching between FedIV and Campdraft until the anxiety is agonizing enough to force me to buy another hat.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Neo, could you post that newest pic of yourself with your Fed on your head? (I can't seem to find it) You know, the one with the latest crease? I want to show it to my wife, who, btw, thinks you look great in your Squatter. And she's a "good one". ;)

Neophyte

Thanks, JBucklin, and to your wife as well.

Unfortunately the sun was on the other side of the house, and the photo is not as bright as I'd like. I'd really like to take another shot later so that the sun and shadows make the crease more pronounced. I'm not sure why you can't find it, I believe it's at the top of the page.

At any rate, here ya go:

FederationReborn-1.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
lol lol lol That's great, Tone! I actually imagined myself walking around my college campus with my head turned at a 3/4 angle and my Fed cocked to one side.....Oh the looks I would get :cool:

Hey, I've done that before many times and even got quite a few nice compliments from other students and professors passing by! I'm sure you would too, if you were to wear it. Yes, I did get a couple Indiana Jones comments that I remember, but they were friendly and complimentary. I'd say go for it.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
Thanks, JBucklin, and to your wife as well.

Unfortunately the sun was on the other side of the house, and the photo is not as bright as I'd like. I'd really like to take another shot later so that the sun and shadows make the crease more pronounced. I'm not sure why you can't find it, I believe it's at the top of the page.

At any rate, here ya go:

FederationReborn-1.jpg

Okay, I showed her the pic and here's what she said: "I think it looks better on him than the Squatter. Looks great---very handsome!"

I agree with her.

Tone

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
Tone, you may be right. I'm fairly certain he said it was a FedIV, but it does look rather tall. It might just be a FedIII.
I'd consider the Campdraft, but I'm not sure if the Tawny Fawn and Taupe Fawn are the same color. They look similar and are on the same swatch on Akubra's color swatches, but they look so different in all the photos I've seen around.

Really? Having owned a FED IV you thought that
4.jpg

was also a FED IV crown?

Neo,

Both hats actually look good on you, just different looks. I think if you could get a crease like your friend's ( a high center dent ) on the Fed, you would like the look better. Also, a Campdraft would give you the combination of high crown and wider brim of the Fed and Squatter. If you like greens you would definitely like the bluegrass Campdraft. Akubras are great hats, especially starting out, to figure out what you like and what looks good on you.

Tone

A-List Customer
Learn to style a hat.

See how stating the obvious proves what many have already known about the traditional Akubra models all along? As if they didn't make the Campdraft, Bushman, or Squatter years before web was even implemented. ;)

Nothing new in Akubra's traditional models from decades past; no matter what some might try to claim. Akubra (the factory; not some web store) has had these models down for a long time.

Tone

A-List Customer
Jbucklin, you've had a FED IV for a whole week now! How's it holding up over the long haul? http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=51173 What other Akubras can you compare it to for quality, shape, block, etc? Best hat ever?

Seriously, though. It's good to see Hatsdirect finally hopped on board with offering the Camdraft only a couple of years ago. You couldn't even get a Squatter from them until a few months ago. Nice that they realised the FED IV wasn't the best option for their only open-crowned model.

Neophyte

Whew, got a LOT of responses to that...

JBuckline, thank you and your wife for the compliments. I do like the straight crown more than the Squatter's taper, but I wish my FedIV had a slightly wider brim (or at least a brim that's as big as it's supposed to be).

As for Tone, lol . When I got my FedIV, it was my first hat, and I wasn't sure about the tall crown. So I lowered it severely with a diamond (or teardrop) bash. I did this before ever testing out the taller look, so I really wasn't sure how tall the crown can be. I know now...lol
And I agree with your assessment of HatsDirect's offerings. I honestly don't think I'd buy anything but Open Crown hats.

Hatophile, thank you as well. I've enjoyed both hats immensely, and find the Squatter to be a great weather hat (especially since the Willow Green matches my green rainjacket) and I like the look of the bound brim. I'm thinking my next hat will definitely be a Campdraft, but the color? I've already a green hat, a dark brown hat, and a grey hat...so I'm thinking Taupe Fawn.

Whew, finally, last one.
Wyrd, though I'm pretty inexperienced at styling hats and judging quality...actually I'm pretty inexperienced in everything.
Despite that, I would HIGHLY recommend an Akubra hat. I may go custom eventually, but I love the Akubras I have right now. I'm quite sure that you'd be happy with one, and that's all I have to say.

Thanks all for your time.

Tone

A-List Customer
lol lol Nothing new going on here that wasn't figured out years ago. As long as Akubra (factory) still has the other models that haven't been screwed up, it's all good. ;)

But, "GO FED! Weeeee! Awesome...." :eusa_clap

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
... You couldn't even get a Squatter from them until a few months ago. Nice that they realised the FED IV wasn't the best option for their only open-crowned model.

If folks around here were running the show open crowns would be the only thing available, mostly. I wonder how good or bad that would be for business? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn