Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neo,

I hate to tell you this, but many of us have multiple shades of hats in brown, tan, green, gray, and any color in between, not to mention various styles and creases. You have been infected by a very malignant species of bug, and it is a terminal condition.

On a more serious note, I see you are studying for the medical arts. My hat's off to you. You have a long and arduous journey ahead, but you will look back many years from now and marvel at all you have learned, and be amazed at what you still don't know.

Enjoy the hat hobby as a nice diversion from your training.:rolleyes:

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
I'm thinking my next hat will definitely be a Campdraft, but the color? I've already a green hat, a dark brown hat, and a grey hat...so I'm thinking Taupe Fawn.

I spent some time tweaking my Tawny Fawn (same as Taupe Fawn) Campdraft last night. I had the brim up Hollywood style, but decided to swoop the brim down in front and I removed the wind trolley. Sometime ago I took out the liner for more comfort. I've been working around the house on some projects, but took a little break for the pic.

TawnyFawn_CD-1-1.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks great, Chuck.

If you're ever in bright sunlight with that hat on and a camera around, can you snap a photo for me?
Tawny Fawn/Taupe Fawn changes all the time, pic to pic. There's one of IndyCop in his Campdraft, and the hat looks downright grey.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
That looks great, Chuck.

If you're ever in bright sunlight with that hat on and a camera around, can you snap a photo for me?
Tawny Fawn/Taupe Fawn changes all the time, pic to pic. There's one of IndyCop in his Campdraft, and the hat looks downright grey.

Will do. I was in the shade at the time. Meanwhile, I was feeling pretty (j/k), so here's a shot of me in my Glen Grey CD. The crown is a little bigger than the Squatter, but it gives you plenty to play with. You can lower the crown if you want to or you can have it tall. The brim is a good size, since you like your Squatter brim. I like your Squatter and the Fed IV just fine. Both are different, but they look great.

GlenGray_CD_crp-1.jpg

Neophyte

Alright, thanks Chuck. The grey looks great on you, but it's a tad too light for me.
Thank you for the well wishes, Hatophile. Med school's my plan, but I'll still have to see if I can (or am willing to) cut it.
Besides, if I'm going to be funding my hat addiction, I'm gonna need to train for a very profitable profession.

Neophyte

I'd imagine, however, that the hats look different at different angles. As stated before, my hat is supposed to have a dimensional brim, 2.5" x 2.75", and mine is 2.32" x 2.56". Not to mention the different colors...

You know what, I'll just end with this: I will find some justification to buy new hats, credible or not. This is how an addict behaves, no?

Neophyte

That's Moonstone? It looks almost white in that picture. Hmmm...It looks like Glen Grey isn't as light as I thought. Damn! That takes me back to step 1...grey or fawn...grey or fawn...grey or fawn or green or...:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: lol lol lol :D :eusa_doh:

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
That's Moonstone? It looks almost white in that picture. Hmmm...It looks like Glen Grey isn't as light as I thought. Damn! That takes me back to step 1...grey or fawn...grey or fawn...grey or fawn or green or...:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: lol lol lol :D :eusa_doh:

The moonstone does look light in this pic, even the carbon Fed looks a little light.

James71

A-List Customer
That shot does show them all a little lighter than they look IRL, though having said that the moonstone is quite a light grey.

The Glen Grey CD is one of those hats that takes on a different shade depending on the light is is under. for natural light shots check out my glen grey CD over on the Campdraft thread.

Ive noticed that for some strange reason none of my hats really look their best under fluoro lights.... it seems to wash all the vibrancy out of them. Even the silverbelly campdraft that I am wearing today doesnt look its best as it sits on my desk under these office lights.

Neophyte

Sunlight, the most abundant natural light in our solar system, is IMHO the best lighting under which to judge a hat's color.
At any rate, James71, thank you for the reference. I'll head over to the Campdraft thread right now.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Covenant07 said:
I don't believe I would have ever imagined saying that a combination of a brown Fed IV and pink crocs looks adorable. But there you have it. It does, and she's beautiful. I love these kid pictures in the different threads.

I made a mistake on the hat... that wasn't my Fed IV. I made a mistake. That was my Christy's. Only now did I realize that it wasn't the Fed IV.

Neophyte

Alright, after much deliberation, I've decided that I love the wide brim look of the Squatter, but would like a hat with a straight-sided crown. The best answer is the Akubra Campdraft.
Thank you everyone for your patience. I have plagued you good folk for far too long. Unless specifically addressed by another Lounger, I will not be posting on this thread again until my next Akubra arrives.
Until then, friends, keep the dream alive and this thread chuggin' on.
Neophyte, signing off...
:D :D :D :D :D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
Alright, after much deliberation, I've decided that I love the wide brim look of the Squatter, but would like a hat with a straight-sided crown. The best answer is the Akubra Campdraft.
Thank you everyone for your patience. I have plagued you good folk for far too long. Unless specifically addressed by another Lounger, I will not be posting on this thread again until my next Akubra arrives.
Neophyte, signing off...

I must say, you're off to a very quick start! My first, and currently only fur felt is my Federation IV I received as a Christmas gift. I plan on using my upcoming September birthday as my next excuse to get a hat, but right now, I'm still trying to decide which. But you, you've already got three, and are already thinking about a fourth! Hope it works out, if you can get away with having excuses to buy hats more often, that's great.

Neophyte

:eek: ............Damn you, JB! lol lol lol You drew me right back in!

The reason I'm buying so many hats so quickly is that I"d like a hat to cover several situations (special events, bad weather, lookin' good lol ) before I head back to college. I'm determined to be "that hat guy" on my campus, and I only have this summer to start.
I don't want to start wearing hats during the year and have to explain it to anybody. I'd like to come to college wearing hats so that people think it's just a quirk of mine, and they won't ask questions. Earlier, in some other thread, I explained that I've been trying to reinvent my image and personality, look more professional, and become a better person for it. The hats are part of that.

......At least, that's my justification. I also tend to become somewhat obsessive about my hobbies, but unlike archery, banjo, violin, ocarina, and hang gliding, hats (collecting and wearing) are something that I can take with me, all the time.

Plus, our university's mail system kinda bites, and I'd worry about any hat I ordered while living in a dorm[huh]

Wyrd

Familiar Face
Tone said:
Learn to style a hat.

See how stating the obvious proves what many have already known about the traditional Akubra models all along? As if they didn't make the Campdraft, Bushman, or Squatter years before web was even implemented. ;)

Nothing new in Akubra's traditional models from decades past; no matter what some might try to claim. Akubra (the factory; not some web store) has had these models down for a long time.

OMG i need to steal money to get an Akubra Kiandra.. omg!

Tone

A-List Customer
Wyrd,

You've got some very cool looking wool hats from what I recall, too. If you can get those looking that good I think you're going to absolutely love having an Akubra in the mix. :)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Neophyte, signing off...
Nonetheless, we will expect to see pics when the next Akubra shows up.

I've been a bit busy, but I seem to recall some remarks about a Taupe Fawn Camp Draft. If that's what you've decided on, I think that you'll find it to be an extremely versatile hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred