Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mikey P said:
Well, it's not straight ahead, but it is a moonstone Stylemaster. I really like mine!

IMG_0648.JPG

That looks really good on you. I've never thought I'd like a Stylemaster, but the pics I've seen of them change my mind.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
VitaminG said:
looking sharp, Mikey P. I'm considering a moonstone Stylemaster for my next

I agree. Mikey P's Stylemaster looks great on him. It is indeed, a master of style!

Actually, despite the fact that I have been contemplating both the silverbelly Campdraft and the moonstone Federation IV for a few months now, I'm finding myself gradually leaning towards something like the Stylemaster (moonstone), as I believe what moderate taper it does have will benefit my facial proportions moreso than a straight-sided crown does at the moment. Now some of this has to do with the fact that when I had purchased the Fed IV, I was rather chubby or fat. Now that I've lost over thirty pounds since I had purchased it, my face has thinned, and in my opinion, it looks slightly less flattering on me.

I hate to seem like I was dishonestly hiding some of my inner thoughts the whole time, but while wearing the Federation out in town, I can't help but feel a bit self-conscious, due to the fact that it is a hat that makes quite a statement with it's high crown and rather wide brim dimensional brim. The Stylemaster seems, to me at least, like it can be more easily put on and worn well. Basically, I can easily see the Stylemaster being my "everyday hat," even if it is not technically so in the literal sense. Expect me to keep wearing the Federation, especially in the outdoor pursuits, such as hiking, fishing, and hunting! I still believe that I can "pull it off," and I have been told so as well. However, I'm not sure if I feel "ready" to be wearing this type of hat as an "everyday" hat of choice, despite the fact it's the first fur felt I started with. My brothers have told me it's a big hat, and I'm thinking with the straight-sided crown, I can see their point.

Feel free to disagree, but I think I'm going Stylemaster the next purchase. Of course, I may change my mind.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
Feel free to disagree, but I think I'm going Stylemaster the next purchase.

JB, I do have to put in a vote for the Stylemaster. During the cooler half of the year, my Stylemaster has become my hat of choice for almost two years. It is casual enough to go with just about anything, and looks sharp when dressed up. The ribbon width is in-between thin and thick, which makes it a "hybrid". I know you're no stranger to Akubra, so I don't need to sale you on that point. :)

Here are a few photos of my Steel Grey Stylemaster:
akubra_style_9.jpg

akubra_style_6_1-1.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the shots! They show some good front angles too. Yes, I'm definitely no stranger to Akubras, and their design and durability. The thing is, I can't help but to order another Akubra, as I feel as if I know I'm getting my money's worth for the superior factory-made product. Akubras are supposedly, almost as good as some custom hats.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't worry about it JB. A lot of people don't find the Federation to be a very casual hat. My Squatter has taper, and I find it suitable for both dress and casual, provided I'm wearing matching colors. The stylemaster is a good looking hat, and I'm betting you're going to like it.

You could always purposefully give the FedIV taper with the right kinda bash, but you wouldn't have that sweet bound brim now would ya?

Enjoy it man. I'm just glad there are more people with more Akubras now. A couple pages back it was pretty much just me posting pics of the same hats and compliments on those pics from other Loungers.

I've also noticed that after vacuuming the outer surface of my Squatter, the texture seems to be significantly smoother. Don't know if doing this will produce same results for you, but it can't hurt to try!

jbucklin

Practically Family
JB, I too have sometimes felt self-conscious about my Fed IV, mainly due to 1 or 2 comments on its size, i.e. brim-width/crown-height. Most people I know---casual acquaintances, clients, close friends, family, church-family----have become very used to the idea of me and hats---some even call me the "hat-man" or the "mad hatter" or something along those lines. Everyone gets a kick out of it, always wondering what I'm going to wear next. If anyone has a "problem" (or if I sense, or imagine, that they do) I use the rationale in my head that many people wear hats---ball caps, newsboy caps, stingy fedoras, cowboy hats, etc. all which seem to be socially or culturally acceptable. So my Fed has an extra inch in the crown and/or brim. I refuse to let an inch make me feel self-conscious before others. I find many who admire my hats, and even me---especially for being bold enough to wear something as "audacious" as the Federation IV. They admire it but wrestle within themselves whether or not they might be bold enough to wear one and fall victim of a few sneers by those who like to criticize others. Truth be told, I wear my hats all the time---even when I'm alone at home. So, I'm not necessarily wearing them for others, but simply because I like them!

theinterchange

One Too Many
I can easily see where some would feel self conscious in a Federation. It's not exactly a modern looking hat, and is rather large for most folks.

Myself, I feel at home in my Federation, I think it's the "perfect" hat for me. I like how they look on me, and I get plenty of genuine compliments from family, friends, and total strangers.

It's all about finding what works for you as an individual. I'm of the mind that anyone would look good in a hat of some form, they just need to find what it is.

Randy

Nikx

New in Town
theinterchange said:
It's all about finding what works for you as an individual. I'm of the mind that anyone would look good in a hat of some form, they just need to find what it is.

Randy

Great advise here :eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
Bad Angle

4858083296_9a722f9eaf.jpg

Here's what I did with the Fed.

I must say this was the easiest Akubra to bash. Normally, I have to steam the living daylights out of them, but this was achieved with 99% hand working, I only needed steam for the point of the pinch in front [which still needs attention] and to get some swoop to the front of the brim.

I'm QUITE pleased with this hat.

Randy

P.S note the obnoxious sign and construction dumpster in the neighbor's yard/driveway... they had a fire in December, but are only now doing something with the place.

Neophyte

That is one of the best representations of the Tawny Fawn color I've seen. The bash itself looks really nice, and it makes be wish I hadn't fudged up the bash on my own FedIV. It looks really good, and you wear it well.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thank you, sir! I'm really pleased with the color now that I've gotten over the initial "I didn't expect it to look like this!" reaction. It looks much better outdoors than in. In terms of this photo, I did run it though a slight warming filter, but it was only to bring the hat color to it's actual shade.

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
Thank you, sir! I'm really pleased with the color now that I've gotten over the initial "I didn't expect it to look like this!" reaction. It looks much better outdoors than in. In terms of this photo, I did run it though a slight warming filter, but it was only to bring the hat color to it's actual shade.

Randy

Oh, you tricky little...

At any rate, I expect I'll have the same reaction with my Campdraft. In a side by side comparison by another lounger, the Taupe Fawn was judged as "slightly more mocha" in appearance, which would be great. The thing your hat will have over mine, the one that makes me most jealous, is gonna be the dark brown ribbon. I know the ribbon on yours is wonky, but still.

...Hey, ya wanna trade ribbons?

theinterchange

One Too Many
It was only slightly warmed to override the fact that it was a bit washed out. SO, basically the color is true to life. It's a great color, I really like the ribbon/felt contrast, too. ;)

Randy

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, you are too kind.

I think you'll be happy with it JB. The camera doesn't do the Moonstone color justice, and the Stylemaster is the most comfortable hat I own. I have a Fed IV also, and I know what you mean about the size of the crown and brim. The Fed is definitely more of a "statement" hat, where the Stylemaster is just a really nice hat. If that makes sense.

Enjoy!! And post some pics when you get it!!

Oh, and for me, the Stylemaster size was right on, unlike the Fed where they suggest you order a bigger size.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mikey P said:
Thanks guys, you are too kind.

I think you'll be happy with it JB. The camera doesn't do the Moonstone color justice, and the Stylemaster is the most comfortable hat I own. I have a Fed IV also, and I know what you mean about the size of the crown and brim. The Fed is definitely more of a "statement" hat, where the Stylemaster is just a really nice hat. If that makes sense.

Enjoy!! And post some pics when you get it!!

Oh, and for me, the Stylemaster size was right on, unlike the Fed where they suggest you order a bigger size.

Your "statement hat" comment made perfect sense to me. It's funny for me, something smaller or larger proportioned than a Federation would be making a statement. That being said, I'm really tempted by two hats at present, the Whippet and Silver Spur.

I order my normal size, 58cm when getting Feds and have no problems. Though, I know some folks who've had issues with them.

Randy

Neophyte

Mikey P said:
and the Stylemaster is the most comfortable hat I own.

If you ever get the Fedora/Sydney, you might be singing a different tune. That said, you'll most likely like the look of the Stylemaster more.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
If you ever get the Fedora/Sydney, you might be singing a different tune. That said, you'll most likely like the look of the Stylemaster more.
The Fedora is basically the same hat, with a different bash & a bound brim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda