Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Try putting your thumb in on the sweatband and fingers cupping the brim. While your just sitting around do an exagerated roll on it by closing your fingers. I put a bit of curl in my Peters Bros indy hat this way.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chuck Bobuck said:
Dano, It's the one currently in my avatar. The brim is a little wide. I curled it in a Hollywood brim now, but no current pics. The crown is not as generous as the Campdraft or Fed. I do like it and it makes a great snow and rain hat. I don't find myself wearing it as often as my Fed. Here's a comparison shot with the Fed IV...

Fed_sq_bows.jpg
Thanks. I take it the Squatter color is moonstone; or what color? I'm more a Squatter man than an Indy man; like the lower crown and definitely the narrower ribbon. So far as you know, what kind of brown is their "fawn?" Would it be tan, or medium brown; am assuming fawn isn't dark brown. Last question--given that the main utility of the hat is as a weather hat, and you had to do it over, what color would you buy?

Neophyte

It's not that big when off my head, it just looks huge on me because I have narrow shoulders. That's why I plan on wearing it with my green jacket, which is weather-proof, because I don't much like hoods. Plus, it's the only other hat other than the CEO that comes in a green (without having to wait a long time for special orders). The CEO's brim doesn't have any snap to it, which doesn't work for me.

The Fedora picture's coming soon.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
danofarlington said:
Thanks. I take it the Squatter color is moonstone; or what color? I'm more a Squatter man than an Indy man; like the lower crown and definitely the narrower ribbon. So far as you know, what kind of brown is their "fawn?" Would it be tan, or medium brown; am assuming fawn isn't dark brown. Last question--given that the main utility of the hat is as a weather hat, and you had to do it over, what color would you buy?

I'm no Indy man myself. The Fed, for me, is my 1930's style fedora without going vintage. I like the moonstone, I think it's a great color. The Squatter came off of ebay. It was my first Akubra. I have a fawn colored Campdraft, it's a light brown or tan. I like the carbon grey Fed and Glen Grey CD personally, but all should stand up to the elements.

CD_3-2.jpg

tnitz

New in Town
Confused...

Neophyte, are you turning the brim down all the way or is that an optical illusion? If so, then I take it you simply want to slightly curl the sides (an old trick that avoids the peak formed when an LO puts on a round hat). As already mentioned, you can massage those side curls in with your fingers - they will hold for a while and you can put them back as needed.

If the back is truly curled up (the pic doesn't look that way) then you can reduce the back curl by easing off of your front drop. By that I mean either don't take it all the way across side to side or else "pull" it out further from the crown so it's the front part of the brim that's drooping.

Here's one other idea in either case. Saturate the brim and with the brim curled up massage out as much of the curl as you can. Let it sit that way for a few minutes. Then, carefully and without introducing new curl, turn the brim down all the way and set the hat on a flat surface. The weight of the crown will gradually pull out some of the curl to the brim. Just watch for uneven valleys in the brim as you turn it down. When it's dry you can take it to the iron if needed.

Covenant07

New in Town
I think you have the chops to rock the squatter, Neo. I think it looks good on you. By comparison, the fedora seems a little teensy, but maybe that's because the squatter and fed IV demand a set of outsized cojones.

Neophyte

You know what, the more I look at these pics, the more I realized that this is more like the classic fedora look. The brim swoop on the Fed, to me, looks somewhat out of the norm (though no doubt quite dashing).

Neophyte

Thanks, Covenant.
I agree with you, the Fedora seems small on me compared with the Federation and the Squatter. However, I think the Fedora is a bit more casual, and I like variety.
Now I just need a way to keep the Fedora in a certain shape. It is super-soft and pliable. I may get some stiffener eventually.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
I'd say the brim on my Fed flops rather than snaps but I like a floppy hat.[huh]

My squatter is pretty old and beat up now (no sweatband, a hole in the crown and loose stitching on the bow) but it still holds its shape really well. I wear it down at the back and with a slight curl at the sides. I love that it's such a light comfy knock-about hat.

Just keep wearing 'em and they'll grow on you.

akubrammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1.jpg

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
hey all, new guy here. I've been reading the forum for about month now while I researched my first proper (read: fur felt) hat.

so after reading just about every thread I could handle, I finally settled on a Stylemaster in Steel Grey. The width of the brim was intimidating for a bit but now I'm getting used to it. The guy at the shop convinced me that at 6'3 & 220lbs, I need something more than a stingy brim to offset my size. He helped me obtain some perspective by popping a 4" brim cowboy hat on my head which made the Stylemaster look positively tiny in comparison.

As all the cruel taunts & pointed fingers of passers-by have not been forthcoming as expected, I am becoming more confident in my new lid. Have started considering other colours/styles already. This could get expensive!

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
Alright, I took the family out for a little fresh air.
What is the color name of the Squatter you have? Also, in terms of matching up with clothes, casual or not, which color works better with a range of clothes for you, the Fed color you have, or the Squatter color?

Neophyte

You know what guys, don't worry about it. The more I wear it, the more I like it just like it is. I'm starting to realize that, in terms of classic fedora shapes, the Fed IV (well, at least in the wierd shape I've got it in) is the least traditional.

VitaminG, I know what you mean. At first I thought a lot of people would call me "Indy" or some other kind of taunt, but only two have. One girl asked me why I was wearing an old man's hat (can you believe the ignorance!). That's about it. Of course, it does help that my eyes, as I've been told by others, look "mean", and people tend not to mess with me. All I've to do is look, and I silence the naysayers around me.

DanoFarlington, the color is called "Willow Green" and it's a bit richer than the photos imply. I love the hat (it's growing on me much faster than the Fed), and the color is beautiful. The Green hat goes with most of my greens, browns and whites.
To be honest, I think the brown Fed IV has the widest range of colors to go with. Whites, greens, darker shades of orange, tans, khakis, browns, blacks. In my picture I'm wearing a naby blue shirt, and I think the Fed in Dark Brown looks very good with that shirt.

I hope this helps, and good luck to you in your search. As for the rest of you, thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

tnitz

New in Town
Willow / Bluegrass - Colored Vegetation...

Can someone verbally describe the difference between bluegrass and willow, the colors, for me? Neophyte's picture of his squatter looks about the same as the bluegrass Camp Draft sitting here.

Neophyte

All I can tell you is that, under direct sunlight, Willow Green is a lot richer than the pictures imply, almost exactly the same color as this spool of thread (without the shine, of course):

WillowGreen.jpg

The Bluegrass Green, to me, seems to be a slightly darker, more washed out shade of green. It looks almost grey in some pictures, like this one I found after a quick search:

DCP_3584.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
This new sand coloured Traveller came in the mail last week. EA had my size in stock so no wait. I decided on the light sand colour for use on those cooler summer days and the wider brim to keep those damaging rays off my face and neck. Also with no liner I expect it will be a bit cooler as well for summer.

It is definately the largest brimmed hat I own. More brim than my Campdraft or my Banjo Patersons. Once this 100 degree plus weather blows away I think it will be getting some more dog walking and soccer field spectator time.

4775679395_d71f62cdb1.jpg

James71

A-List Customer
I took my daughter into the Hattery this morning for a baby chino and some friands. Came home with my second campdraft in as many weeks... more pics over at the Campdraft thread if anyone is interested.

CD4.jpg

CD2.jpg

Neophyte

Got caught in a rainstorm this morning with my new favorite hat. The brim width has really grown on me, and the fur felt is soft but stiff, so it keeps it shape really well.

FedoraCaughtInRain.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails