Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, with September quickly approaching, and then my eventual birthday coming up on the 19th, which is in effect an excuse to get at least one relatively expensive gift, I am now 90% sure that I'll be going with the moonstone Stylemaster. Feel free to convince me otherwise, but I think I'll be trying a tapered fedora this time, as it may suit me better. Either way, I don't think I'll regret having a Stylemaster in my meagre, yet slowly growing collection. So far it's just the Fed IV, a wool Jaxon, and a possibly, faux-Panama. I think I should also point out that I'm trying for a leather jacket, G-1 maybe, but that's in another thread.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Bluegrass Green

So, for Neophyte and anyone else that's been following the discussion, I checked the hats I saw in the shop, and they are Bluegrass Green.

Which means that (in my opinion) BGG is a very definite medium-dark green colour, without a particular blue or grey tinge to it. It's not greenish-anything, it's just green.

It's a nice colour, for sure, and I'd be happy wearing it, my only reservation is that it's a bit less versatile than the greys and browns. It's a casual colour, not much use for a more formal look.

And I got myself a mid-brown Stylemaster. I'll post pics when I get around to organising some. I wore the hat all weekend and got good reactions from friends and what I'm choosing to interpret as admiring looks from strangers.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DAJE said:
It's a nice colour, for sure, and I'd be happy wearing it, my only reservation is that it's a bit less versatile than the greys and browns. It's a casual colour, not much use for a more formal look.

got good reactions from friends and what I'm choosing to interpret as admiring looks from strangers.
It's good to get an evaluation of the color, because the purchase decision for a hat and selecting a color is expensive. On the looks from strangers, I think you mostly have to count them as admiring. Think of it this way: If you see someone with a stupid-looking hat, your instinct is to look away, so as not to embarass the poor slob further, or at least reflecting zero interest in his apparel. On the other hand, with something that looks good, you want to get a closer look and think a) I want to get one of those; b) where did he get that; c) (if a woman is the observer) where can I get my man Chuckie one of those; d) could I actually pull off one of those; e) I never thought of that but now that I see it, it's good; or e) I could never do it but it still looks cool.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
J B said:
I am now 90% sure that I'll be going with the moonstone Stylemaster. Feel free to convince me otherwise, but I think I'll be trying a tapered fedora this time, as it may suit me better. Either way, I don't think I'll regret having a Stylemaster in my meagre, yet slowly growing collection.

Do it. The Stylemaster is a great hat, and Moonstone Grey is a fine colour. I'm sure you won't regret it.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
danofarlington said:
On the looks from strangers, I think you mostly have to count them as admiring. Think of it this way: If you see someone with a stupid-looking hat, your instinct is to look away, so as not to embarass the poor slob further, or at least reflecting zero interest in his apparel. On the other hand, with something that looks good, you want to get a closer look and think a) I want to get one of those; b) where did he get that; c) (if a woman is the observer) where can I get my man Chuckie one of those; d) could I actually pull off one of those; e) I never thought of that but now that I see it, it's good; or e) I could never do it but it still looks cool.

I'm sure you're correct, and I think your options are right on the money. Well said.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Neo and JB, I'll be looking forward to your new Akubras! If the Moonstone grey would have been available several years ago when I got my Stylemaster, I wonder if I would have gotten that color instead of the Steel Grey. The moonstone is definitely nice, although I do definitely like mine.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
Unfortunately, JimmytheLid got the last size 60 Campdraft from EA. He told me this right after helping me discover that he and I have basically the same head size, a 59 Long Oval lol.

So, what I'm trying to say is that you'll probably see Jimmy's before you see mine...oh well. My intention was to bring a better understanding of Bluegrass Green to the Lounge, and I guess I should be happy that it's going to happen, even if I'm not the arbiter lol.

Neo, JimmytheLid and you could always share....NAW!!! lol

Oh well. It will be worth the wait, and we'll all be happy to see yours when you finally do get it!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think you do the upturned brim very well. The bash doesn't quite seem to fit (it goes better with the hollywood brim). Maybe if you lengthened the pinches more backwards....

Neophyte

Yeps said:
I think you do the upturned brim very well. The bash doesn't quite seem to fit (it goes better with the hollywood brim). Maybe if you lengthened the pinches more backwards....

I'll see what I can do. I'm just thinking of what I'll want to do with the Bluegrass Green.

I like the look of the hollywood brim, just not on the Taupe Fawn color of the Campdraft.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
I'm not a share-er (word?) lol.

I'll be happy just to be rid of the spare cash. It's burning a hole in my pocket lol!

For now, though, I'll share some photos with y'all regarding my current experiments with brim...arrangements (?):

CampdraftCollege9-1.jpg
CampdraftCollege10-1.jpg
CampdraftUpturnExperiment.jpg
CampdraftUpturnExperiment2.jpg

Which one do you guys like? I prefer the upturn all around, something I didn't think I could pull off but which looks very natural :) .

I do like the brim turned up all around when compared to flipping up only one side of the brim, although I agree that this is not a look many can pull off. I guess I'm pretty traditional in that I pretty much only wear my brimmed hats in the traditional "snap brim" style of "down in the front and up in the back". I definitely could not pull off the look up an upturned brim all the way around.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
Neo and JB, I'll be looking forward to your new Akubras! If the Moonstone grey would have been available several years ago when I got my Stylemaster, I wonder if I would have gotten that color instead of the Steel Grey. The moonstone is definitely nice, although I do definitely like mine.

Is moonstone a recent, new color for Akubra, then? Did anything of the sort, a light grey, exist before?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
Is moonstone a recent, new color for Akubra, then? Did anything of the sort, a light grey, exist before?

I'm really not sure when Moonstone became a color option on the Stylemaster. When I ordered my Stylemaster from Hats Direct, I was not familiar with Everything Australian, and thus went with the color choices Hats Direct offered, which included the Steel Grey as their grey option. It looked good on the site, and I definitely love the color. I just have the interest to see both colors up close and in person to compare.

danofarlington

ScionPI2005 said:
I do like the brim turned up all around when compared to flipping up only one side of the brim, although I agree that this is not a look many can pull off. I guess I'm pretty traditional in that I pretty much only wear my brimmed hats in the traditional "snap brim" style of "down in the front and up in the back". I definitely could not pull off the look up an upturned brim all the way around.
I consider the all-upturned brim sort of a macho statement. I think back to the movie The Godfather, where I believe Al Pacino wore one that way, and other tough guys in New York, usually ethnic types. It's better to do it with a stingy brim. I always felt that on me, all-upturned was a false tough-guy look so I avoided it. But this summer, I turned up my 2 1/2 inch Panama brim as a change of pace, and it worked, judging by reaction of people I passed or purchased from. It's also kind of a carefree attitude statement, like Bruce Willis in a porkpie hat, so I guess you can turn up the brim if you feel like it. Why not?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
First Akubra

So from what I can tell on this thread my best bet for getting my first Akubra is from Everything Australian. I am looking at the Stylemaster in acorn fawn. Any thing I should be thinking of before I order?
Thanks,
Mike

theinterchange

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, Rodkins! I haven't personally purchased anything from Everything Australian [I mainly buy from Hats Direct and Aussie Bush Hats], but from what I've heard about them, am confident that you'll have a pleasant experience.

I'm trying to think of anything I've read about the Stylemaster in terms of sizing... coming up blank. To save the possibility of expensive return/exchange postage fees, make sure you get the proper size. A figure which I assume you know. ;)

The one universal thing I've learned about hat vendors, they're always willing to answer questions, even the ones I feel stupid for asking.

The main thing is, do you have any questions about the Stylemaster? If so, there are many here who are ready to help.

Hope you enjoy the Lounge, it's a great place!

Randy

P.S If you don't mind my asking, what part of Orlando are you from? I ask because it's rare to see another Orlando member.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
ScionPI2005 said:
I'm really not sure when Moonstone became a color option on the Stylemaster. When I ordered my Stylemaster from Hats Direct, I was not familiar with Everything Australian, and thus went with the color choices Hats Direct offered, which included the Steel Grey as their grey option. It looked good on the site, and I definitely love the color. I just have the interest to see both colors up close and in person to compare.

Well, I was trying on all shades of Stylemaster last week... Moonstone is a light grey, but not into the silver/white range. Carbon Grey is much darker, more of a faded black.

I'm not sure if Steel Grey is the same shade as Carbon - I suspect not, all the Akubra colour names seem to be different shades, even if some are only slightly different. I say that having looked at and compared a whole lot of them in person a few days ago.

Anyway, there's a lot of difference between the dark Carbon and light Moonstone greys. You'd never mistake one for the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart