Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks great, Binkie! It really does suit you well :).

And just think: if you had ordered it from HatsDirect, you would've had it in a week! lol

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
My Moonstone arrived yesterday and I picked it up From OutBack red this afternoon, it was special oder and I waited three months for it, worth the wait, can not understand why it is not a standard colour here in Australia VitaminG do you think the factory waits until it has enough orders to whip up a batch of moonstone fur felt?
I believe it is a standard colour here. My local guy has a whole raft of moonstone Stylemasters. But I had to order one because of my big (63) melon. Since I was ordering, thought I'd get the contrasting band since the standard ones seem to all have matching ones now

Gromulus

Practically Family
Last week I had received a Moonstone Stylemaster from HatsDirect and did receive it in one week. This hat has a black ribbon. I also bought a Carbon Grey Stylemaster from a fellow lounger and received it yesterday. This "used" hat is in very good shape and is the most comfortable of my (rapidly growing) stable. I really like the Stylemaster and am now considering one in Acorn as well. Of course it helps that my wife likes this style the most of the hats I now own (Banjo Paterson, Campdraft, Stylemaster).

Neophyte

Last week I had received a Moonstone Stylemaster from HatsDirect and did receive it in one week. This hat has a black ribbon. I also bought a Carbon Grey Stylemaster from a fellow lounger and received it yesterday. This "used" hat is in very good shape and is the most comfortable of my (rapidly growing) stable. I really like the Stylemaster and am now considering one in Acorn as well. Of course it helps that my wife likes this style the most of the hats I now own (Banjo Paterson, Campdraft, Stylemaster).

Kudos to your wife :). That's a great arsenal of hats there, and there is nothing wrong with owning a hat in EVERY color it is offered in (just check out FurFeltFedora's fleet of FederationIV's).

Gromulus

Practically Family
Kudos to your wife :). That's a great arsenal of hats there, and there is nothing wrong with owning a hat in EVERY color it is offered in (just check out FurFeltFedora's fleet of FederationIV's).

Thanks Neo. I also have a Fawn Campdraft and Bushman on my "short term" wish list as well. Perhaps one will show up on Christmas from a daughter or my wife.

I really want a Bluegrass Green Campdraft if they make another run. This hat looks so good on everyone that has one and seems to be very versatile. From the posted pics I think yours "fits" you the best of your current collection.

My personal opinion is a traditional Stylemaster type fedora looks best on us "older" guys. I don't think I would have gotten away with it when I was younger. Of course in those days we all had much longer hair and hats just didn't fit in with the popular styles at the time. I can easily get away with the Stylemaster in my day-to-day business environment these days.

Bebop

Practically Family
( FurFeltFedora's fleet of FederationIV's).

That's a great way to practice pronouncing your F's.

The Stylemaster is really a great hat for those of us that can't pull off a high crown. I have one in acorn and depending on lighting, it sometimes looks greenish, sometimes sand, sometimes brown. I am impressed. I just would not order from Australiangear.com again unless I called first because they don't update their site and it took weeks to get my hat.

Neophyte

I really want a Bluegrass Green Campdraft if they make another run. This hat looks so good on everyone that has one and seems to be very versatile. From the posted pics I think yours "fits" you the best of your current collection.

You're welcome, and thank you for the compliment as well.

Talk to Sam at EA, I'm sure he can get another run of BGCD's going again :).

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well my recently arrived Cattleman got it's hardcore baptism out at the stable this afternoon :) Wore it out there to work a colt to harness and he spoked and flipped his head up on me and knocked it up in the air and the wind hit that big brimmed beauty and blew it over the fence and into a stock tank on the other side ! Had to get the colt calmed down and put away before I could retrieve my hat which was now on the bottom of the tank in about 2'-0" of water !!! Took it out, shook it off and folded out the sweat band and pulled the totally soaked liner out so all could dry. Set it crown down on the truck seat and went home. It's got a Hat Jack in it and is setting on a counter and I'll let it dry out for at least two daysor so and when alls dry, put it back on my head and get on down the road! It is an Akubra !!
Don't have a camera available for digital pics right now but it is all over ( inside as well) MUCH DARKER in color :) Even the 6 plait Kangaroo hat band I got put on it is darker as well :) But I bought it all as a "using" hat :)
Here's DMs pic of it:
1613fwn_lg61.jpg

and here's the hat band:
856nat_1616_lg61.jpg

Onward thru the fog :)

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
Summer dog-walking akubra choice?

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate your advice on the following scenario ...

I'm planning ahead for a hat that will offer good sun protection in the British Summer (please don't laugh, I am pretending that this isn't a contradiction in terms) whilst doing an energetic 1 hour daily walk/yomp with my dog.

I have some great akubras that work really well for the Winter-Spring period, but I was wondering what the best solution would be for those few days in Summer when my Gymkhana, Leisure Time, and dark brown Deluxe Fed IV will be too dark and thick for strong(ish) sunshine.

One idea I had was to take the liners out of my Deluxe Feds in Moonstone and Heritage Fawn - the felt on these hats is relatively light and their light colours would absorb less heat?

My other idea was to buy a silverbelly Campdraft.

What I wanted to know was:
1. is the felt on the CD noticeably thinner than the Feds or do you think unlined Feds would work okay?
2. Are there any other akubras I haven't mentioned that might provide good sun protection but will help keep the inevitable sweat problem down to a minimum?

many thanks in advance for your help!

best,

Paul.

Duper

Practically Family
Theodor Adorno, If you want to stay in fur felt, wide brim and with Akubra maybe the Squatter would suit the bill. I don't presently own one but I do have one on order. It is unlined and described as "Superfine" quality which is a lighter weight felt on the Akubra or everythingaustralian site. It does come in fawn so it should be a lighter colour as well. There is a dedicated Squatter thread you could have a browse of as well.

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, I really hadn't thought of a Squatter but will definitely check that option out.

I forgot to mention I also have a Stockman which I've previously used in the Summer but the felt is quite thick and I was just trying to find a lighter alternative which the Squatter sounds like it might be ...

Frustratingly, I've got an Optimo Open Road style which would be perfect for this purpose, but I can't bring myself to use it as a workaday hat - it's just too nice. Neophyte also mentioned a Cattleman - the ventilation holes may help ...

thanks again for the suggestion,

best,

Paul.

garenb

New in Town
I'm contemplating a Sydney, however I've read that they are extremely soft. Does anyone know how well they hold a bash? Will I be constantly tweaking it?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
They are softer than my other 3 Imperial felt models, but NOT so soft that they loose their pre-creased shape. I've not yet had a quality fur felt hat that did not evolve it's crease as the hat is worn on a regular basis over time. It's an Akubra, one of the best NEW production hats made today :) Get it, you WILL like it :)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm contemplating a Sydney, however I've read that they are extremely soft. Does anyone know how well they hold a bash? Will I be constantly tweaking it?
So far mine has held the bash really well. I have no problem with the softness...I think it refers to the texture of the felt, not it's ability to hold what you do with it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I may be ready to order this week. So if my current Fed IV feels tight on me, to the point of leaving red irritated skin on the forehead, should I consider sizing up from 59 to 60 on say, a Stylemaster or whatever else I may want (country line hat maybe)? I'm basically asking for "Yes" or "No on this. My Federation fit me a little loosely from the start, as seems to be normal with Akubra hats, but after constantly wearing it for a year, it no doubt shrank. Now, I'm pretty certain that I won't put my Stylemaster through that much trouble, but I need to know how to properly size for it now, as I would not want to make the mistake of owning a too-tight hat a year from now.

theinterchange

One Too Many
1. is the felt on the CD noticeably thinner than the Feds or do you think unlined Feds would work okay?

I've found the Campdraft felt to be noticeably thinner than the Federation.

If you were interested in saving a bit, I'd say go for removing the liner, but if you want to buy a hat, the CD is great, the Cattleman would be good, too.

Randy

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I may be ready to order this week. So if my current Fed IV feels tight on me, to the point of leaving red irritated skin on the forehead, should I consider sizing up from 59 to 60 on say, a Stylemaster or whatever else I may want (country line hat maybe)? I'm basically asking for "Yes" or "No on this. My Federation fit me a little loosely from the start, as seems to be normal with Akubra hats, but after constantly wearing it for a year, it no doubt shrank. Now, I'm pretty certain that I won't put my Stylemaster through that much trouble, but I need to know how to properly size for it now, as I would not want to make the mistake of owning a too-tight hat a year from now.

If it became too tight, I would consider going up a size. If you keep the size 59 Fed, you might try stretching it over your knee. Hook the front of the sweatband over your bent knee, pull with both hands hooked inside the crown at the band at the back. Do it a few times as often as necessary, you could salvage the hat if you plan on keeping. Ron at Hats Direct gave me the tip and added I wouldn't hurt the hat. I did this to my Squatter and it fit much better.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
If it became too tight, I would consider going up a size. If you keep the size 59 Fed, you might try stretching it over your knee. Hook the front of the sweatband over your bent knee, pull with both hands hooked inside the crown at the band at the back. Do it a few times as often as necessary, you could salvage the hat if you plan on keeping. Ron at Hats Direct gave me the tip and added I wouldn't hurt the hat. I did this to my Squatter and it fit much better.

Thank you. I have actually try this trick a few times over the months, actually, and it is only a temporary fix to the fit. I suppose the good thing about this hat, is that I'm not really worried about wearing it in windy conditions, such as in the middle of a lake on a motor boat, or while hiking up a narrow trail on a steep, windy hill.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars

I would definitely consider going up a size. My carbon grey size 63 SM was rattling around on my head without extra padding in the sweat, but now it fits me perfectly. Now I get to do it all over again with the new hat (see back a couple of pages if you missed it - I know you were asking about moonstone SMs) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou