Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It actually ain't half bad. The center dent in the cattleman crease adds some nice reverse taper to the crown, and the side (well, in this case, the front and back) dents don't detract much from the look. Unfortunately I don't have enough crown height to make it look good, but I got a rudimentary sideways cattleman going in this hat. lol

I would like to see a picture of it, if you have one, before it slinks back into the oblivion whence it came.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would like to see a picture of it, if you have one, before it slinks back into the oblivion whence it came.

Will do...I just got out of lab, so let me get it ready. I will edit this post in a bit and add the pic. I'll do front pics to reveal the extent of this abomination....you really don't want to see side pics. They really shouldn't allow me anywhere near an open crown hat lol.

Last edited:

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Having recently watched Crocodile Dundee, I was wondering if anyone here knew if his hat was an Akubra. If it was, what model could it have been? The only clue I see on it was the three vent holes on the sides arranged in a triangle.
I thought it might be their Downunder model bit it doesn't have the vent hole in the sides.
crocodile_dundee_xl_01-film-a.jpg

Any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers!

Dan

Hey Dan, I found this blurb on David Morgans site in their FAQs...
"Do you carry the hat worn by Crocodile Dundee?
No. Crocodile Dundee wore the Down Under, in Black. We no longer carry the Down Under. The hat band worn in the movie was in crocodile leather, with crocodile teeth. In recent television advertisements fabric bands have been used on the Down Under."

Akubra makes a hat called the 'Down Under' with a leather band. It appears the band was modified and croc teeth added for the movie.
http://www.akubra.com.au/images/products/country/country-hats/Country-DownUnder-Sand-preview.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

To those who wish to have me exiled, remember: This was Yeps' idea lol:

Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare to witness horrors such as you have never imagined! Pregnant women and those with weak hearts or constitutions may wish to leave the room. Behold! The most insidious, the most disgusting hat crease ever conceived...the sideway cattleman:

untitled-2.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Akubra makes a hat called the 'Down Under' with a leather band. It appears the band was modified and croc teeth added for the movie.
http://www.akubra.com.au/images/products/country/country-hats/Country-DownUnder-Sand-preview.jpg

That's what I figured, I had come across a similar quote out there but wasn't totally sold on the Down Under as being the one as it doesn't have the eyelet vents on the sides, but those could have been added as well. Akubra does have one western with the triangular vent pattern, so I suppose they could have reshaped & trimmed that hat to be the Dundee hat, or, they could have simply added the eyelet vents. After that adding the sweatband & croc teeth is a cinch.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up

Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare to witness horrors such as you have never imagined! Pregnant women and those with weak hearts or constitutions may wish to leave the room. Behold! The most insidious, the most disgusting hat crease ever conceived...the sideway cattleman:

Get a Rope!:suspicious:lol

Cheers!

Dan

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

/QUOTE]

Looks no worse than all the gimme caps worn sideways or backwards :) Stupid looking is stupid looking :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

theinterchange

One Too Many

untitled-2.jpg

Reminds me of Ed Norton from The Honeymooners, but without the hat being beat to heck.

Randy

1961MJS

"The Dichotomy"

lol That picture is great. Your expression shows great knowledge, experience, and determination. The hat shows a complete lack of fashion sense, common sense, and all around reliability. Anyone wearing that hat, can't possibly be relied upon to get the garbage to the end of the driveway every week. I'm impressed, you're artistically produced "The Dichotomy". :eusa_clap

We need to alert Merriam-Webster and get your picture in the next dictionary.

Later

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family

untitled-2.jpg

I didn't want to like it. I wasn't prepared to like it, yet I love it! It's your best bash yet! :p :D

theinterchange

One Too Many
This is a question for the Loungers who own both the Campdraft AND Bushman. What sort of difference is there in the felt between the two? I know the Campdrafts I've owned were a bit more refined [read: pounced to a nicer finish] feeling than any of the other Akubra's I've owned including a Deluxe Federation. Just curious since they're similar if they share that characteristic.

Randy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
In reference to the Bushman model which is a David Morgan exclusive now, it seems it was not always so.Seems it was a stock hat in the Akubra line back in the late 50's up until it was started to be imported by DM in 1962. I e-mailed them asking about the history of the Bushman yesterday and here is the reply I got back from them:

" talked with David and his wife Dorothy about this and neither of them know for sure exactly when Akubra started handling/making it. Akubra was making hats in the late 1800’s but did not come up with the Akubra name until around 1912. All David and Dorothy remember is that it was part of the stock offerings from Akubra when they first started bringing it into the country. Beyond that they do not know any more than what we have printed. We are sorry we cannot help you further with this.

Kind regards,

Michael,

Customer Service "

Since the Campdraft is the re-named Australian model of the Stetson licensed Open Road, would any one here know just WHEN Akubra started making the Campdraft as the Campdraft? And how long did they make the Open Road for Stetson before they began to make it as the Campdraft ? Looks like the Bushman possibly is one of the longest length production models they have made :) "Inquiring minds want to know " :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

johnnycanuck

I wonder if Akubra production is affected by bad weather in Australia. I have not heard about my order (from EA) in more than 3 months.

I have found you have to make contact with them from time to time to make sure they are on top of the orders. Last time I ordered a hat from them I had to call them a week later to find out why I had not recieved a shipping notice yet, it turns out the hat was on back order and didnt feel the need to tell me.
If it was me I wold drop them a line.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

Having recently watched Crocodile Dundee, I was wondering if anyone here knew if his hat was an Akubra. If it was, what model could it have been? The only clue I see on it was the three vent holes on the sides arranged in a triangle.
I thought it might be their Downunder model bit it doesn't have the vent hole in the sides.
crocodile_dundee_xl_01-film-a.jpg

Any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers!

Dan

From what I read it is a modified black Akubra Down Under. Vent holes added, stitching up the side of the crown and a custom band.
The hat band is not croc teeth but croc claws. I have also read the band itself is snake skin not crocodile skin. I own a Black Down Under here is a picture
downunder.jpg

Akubra used to offer the "Croc" it was a black telescope crown hat with a 3 1/2" brim and a croc band with 6 croc teeth. Here is a picture of mine.
croc.jpg

Akubra still offers the Croc but it looks like a slightly larger Snowy River with the croc band on it.
https://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=63
I would like a hat just Like Paul Hogans But one is not avalible yet.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner