Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

hottoddy

New in Town
:D SWEET !

Limited Edition???
From where???
Big upcharge???
Enquiring minds want to know.

Hamletsghost :cool:

Nice hat!

It's not an official "limited edition" - I just called it that. Apparently, my local haberdasher in Portland (John Helmer) carries the Stylemaster in a few different colors than usually seen on the web. You can Google their name to find their site. It was labeled simply as "green" but others here are pretty sure it's "bluegrass green." I was going to get a brown one, but they didn't have it my size. But, I really like the green. The price was pretty much the same as you find elsewhere - maybe a few bucks more because it's a brick and mortar store.

-Todd

Hamletsghost

New in Town
Nice hat!

It's not an official "limited edition" - I just called it that. Apparently, my local haberdasher in Portland (John Helmer) carries the Stylemaster in a few different colors than usually seen on the web. You can Google their name to find their site. It was labeled simply as "green" but others here are pretty sure it's "bluegrass green." I was going to get a brown one, but they didn't have it my size. But, I really like the green. The price was pretty much the same as you find elsewhere - maybe a few bucks more because it's a brick and mortar store.

-Todd

Well no mater what you call it - limited edition - special edition - my new best friend - or Charlie the hat - it is truely a beauty. Great color and the style suits you well.
MMMMmm green could be my next chappeau.
Thanks for the kudos to all of you on my new brim.
AND
My wife wishes to thank (yeah right :rolleyes:) the Fedora Lounge for getting me addicted to "gentlemens" hats. If a couple hundred Hawiian shirts weren't enough - Now this. (Works fine for me & she's a Saint - been puttin' up with all my silliness for 27 years - so we'll juz take dis one slow & easy ;) )

Hamletsghost :cool:

riccardo

Practically Family
a few pics of my acorn stylemaster slightly rebashed (tighter front pinch and a "hollywood" brim swoop. My first Akubra, *will not be my last
I will post pictures of the liner when i get home (its a salmon/light pink color)
front
hatstuffandashleybday050.jpg

top light for dramatic effect on the front pinch. and to show off my collection resting on the fireplace.

hatstuffandashleybday057.jpg

finally, The "Douglas"

hatstuffandashleybday062.jpg

let me know what you think folks.

Hi to all, how is the old man in the picture?

God Bless you.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
I see many here have purchased items from EA...how are they to deal with? I am thinking about picking up a Bluegrass Campdraft...before they run out of my size! Do these CD's run large, small or spot on? I am a 71/4 LO but usually order a 7 3/8 in most hats but Akubra's listed sizing runs a tiny bit large. Thanks for your input!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubras are usually on target. I thought I was a 7 3/8 LO, but I learned recently that I'm actually a 7 1/4 LO. I had always thought Akubras ran large, but I was just ordering the wrong size. That said, Akubras are well-known to conform perfectly to your head shape with a bit of wear. All of my Akubras started out too large (my fault), but have conformed to my head and now fit perfectly. When in doubt, order a size up.

EA is GREAT to deal with. Sam even reblocked my BGCD long oval for free! I highly recommend, especially w/ their lower prices. Good luck!

I see many here have purchased items from EA...how are they to deal with? I am thinking about picking up a Bluegrass Campdraft...before they run out of my size! Do these CD's run large, small or spot on? I am a 71/4 LO but usually order a 7 3/8 in most hats but Akubra's listed sizing runs a tiny bit large. Thanks for your input!

My experience has been that when you get a Campdraft open crown, it will feel slightly larger but once you crease it, it feels better. Also, CD's are more oblong than other Akubra models. I am a natural LO even bordering on XLO & I'd get a stock CD & wear it. JMHO

blixa00

One of the Regulars
Hey thanks for the input...by sheer coincidence a fellow FL member was reluctantly selling his 7 3/8 BGCD in the classifieds so I took the plunge! This would be my second Akubra, the first being a military style slouch hat I picked up on Ebay recently!

Gromulus

Practically Family
Hey thanks for the input...by sheer coincidence a fellow FL member was reluctantly selling his 7 3/8 BGCD in the classifieds so I took the plunge! This would be my second Akubra, the first being a military style slouch hat I picked up on Ebay recently!

And you got a great hat and a good price! Rodkins put an especially nice bash in that CD.

Enjoy!

blixa00

One of the Regulars
Wel I just bought the slouch on Ebay last week so I haven't seen it yet...I had an old surplus version back in the day that was OK but I wanted to check out the Akubra version! I'll let you know what I think once I have it in hand!

Neophyte

Thanks, Jed and Blixa! I still need a wide-brimmed Outback style hat that doesn't have taper, and my choices were narrowed down to the Cattleman or the Slouch. I find the puggaree and open crown of the Slouch more appealing. Looking forward to hearing your impressions, Blixa, and congrats on the new hats!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Alex my wife prefers my slouches with the brim down all the way around. In the summer I like to wear canvas slouches quite a bit. I like the left side up oh well.

Jeff

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
I've never gotten so much great feedback on my hats before I started wearing Akubras. Friday night, wore my carbon gray Stylemaster with my blue windowpane suit and Burberry trench when I took my 6-year-old to the daddy-daughter Valentine's dinner-dance. At dinner, wound up sitting next to a guy who I never met before, who said, "Hey, you're the guy I saw wearing that fantastic hat!" Then yesterday I had on my silverbelly Camp Draft at the supermarket, and the young guy bagging groceries asked where I got the hat. We are a special breed, gentlemen ...

fmw

One Too Many
I've never gotten so much great feedback on my hats before I started wearing Akubras. Friday night, wore my carbon gray Stylemaster with my blue windowpane suit and Burberry trench when I took my 6-year-old to the daddy-daughter Valentine's dinner-dance. At dinner, wound up sitting next to a guy who I never met before, who said, "Hey, you're the guy I saw wearing that fantastic hat!" Then yesterday I had on my silverbelly Camp Draft at the supermarket, and the young guy bagging groceries asked where I got the hat. We are a special breed, gentlemen ...

I had a similar experience with the UPS driver. He put some things in the laundry room and, when he exited, he asked "What's that brown hat in the lower left corner of the wall?" I said, "It's called an Akubra Flinders. It's made in Australia." His comment was "Cool, I need to get something like that." I gave him a couple of url's. I had a total of 7 hats on the wall that day - Stetson, Dobbs, Vintage - you name it. He liked the Akubra.

danofarlington

Congratulations on the compliments. I love compliments.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Friday night, wore my carbon gray Stylemaster with my blue windowpane suit and Burberry trench when I took my 6-year-old to the daddy-daughter Valentine's dinner-dance.

Jim, aren't those daddy/daughter dances just great when our daughters are young?

I'm thinking I need to get one of those Stylemasters (or a Bogart) one of these days as well.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
So I received the slouch today...it is pretty cool actually! The felt is listed as being "super fine" not sure how that stacks up against Imperial grade but is seems quite fine for outdoor use! I did notice that the previous owner appeared to be wearing the hat backwards (!!!) as the crease and pinch were all focused on the back end of the hat! Maybe they preferred the "flap" up on the right instead of the left side?? The color is greenish khaki not brown as listed in the auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250767314462&si=8rjeaXFN0vGC64y2AkT88UpG%252Fg8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2643wt_1139 All in all a great outdoor hat!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails