Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

I just picked up a Cattleman on ebay the buyer says is from the 1970's. Based on the label, which is black and white, I'd say it is pretty old. Never worn...and since I like tremendously my Banjo Patterson (just bought new) I wanted an Akura w/a wider brim for knocking around during the summer. Can't post a picture yet, but my question is: I've read enough here to know there's a difference in Stetson quality (and many name hats) from years back and was wondering if the same applies to Akubra? I didn't buy it for that reason, just saw a chance to get an unusued hat delivered for a good price, but was curious.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Gargs - I don't recall the cattleman being around in the 1970's. Bush people wore grey Squatters mostly. The western style Akubra hat really consolidated itself during 1980's craze for Aussie bush gear. The Australian Akubras you used to see included Army slouch hats, Drovers, the Bushman and the odd western style.

My Squatter from 2 decades ago is a denser felt than my newish Campdraft. The felt on the older hats was smoother and silkier. But I don't think the overall quality of new Akubras is worse, just different. Akubra used to make Stetson over here. Some of those hats were a thick and wonderful felt.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just picked up a Cattleman on ebay the buyer says is from the 1970's. Based on the label, which is black and white, I'd say it is pretty old.

Gargs - do you have a photo of the label. The tip stickers on current unlined Akubras are black and white, and not exactly modern looking.

I don't have the experience to know yet...but it looked to be in nice shape and the price was good for something I'm largely going to sweat in!
By the way, gtdean, your words re. the Banjo Paterson were dead-on and I'm happy as a clam with that hat. Thanks for the description.
Anytime! The Cattleman is a good working hat. I had one for a spell until I got a Bushman = just like the taller crown. You got it for a good price, best I can tell...congrats!

Neophyte

Finally got some precipitation today to take my new Banjo Paterson on a test run. The felt is dense but light, the sweatband buttery smooth, and the fit extremely comfortable. It's light enough that I almost forget I'm wearing a hat, which is great on everything except a windy day lol. I'm messing with the brim and crown to fine tune the shape, but I really like the proportions of the hat. Gets the job done, and looks and feels good to boot. This 'un gets my stamp of approval.

Not the best pic, but I was in a hurry this morning. Got to test it out in a snow/sleet/hail storm, it powered through like a champ and kept my head toasty the whole way.

12909120943_915d6f6d33.jpg

Neophyte

Thanks, Gargs. I'm sure you'll love it. The BP has a good-looking but generic shape, so it suits just about anybody. The ample unbound brim and crown can be tweaked to your preferences too.

Neophyte

Thanks Tom and Richard.

I think my interviews at UMass Amherst went well, so that may very well prove to be the case.

And Kent, I'm kinda there with you. I think the BP might look good with a TAR, but the Heritage Fawn color just looks great with a good leather band. I may try to "customize" the hat in the future and see how it looks.

ManofKent

Thanks Tom and Richard.

I think my interviews at UMass Amherst went well, so that may very well prove to be the case.

And Kent, I'm kinda there with you. I think the BP might look good with a TAR, but the Heritage Fawn color just looks great with a good leather band. I may try to "customize" the hat in the future and see how it looks.

Good luck with the interview results.

My preference for ribbon over leather probably stems from being English - the leather looks good, just no something I'd feel comfortable wearing over here. I can see it looking good with a 1" ribbon or skinnier.

Thanks Tom and Richard.

I've added some leather bands to my Akubras to add some heft to them. I switch back to ribbons easily too.
The added weight keeps them on better in windy conditions or when the horse picks up his pace...

Landman

One Too Many
Gargs, that looks like a new Cattleman. Same tag and tip sticker as mine that I bought about 2 years ago. You still made a good deal. Congratulations.

Alexander, the BP looks good on you. I've never owned one of those but might have to give one a try. I'm not familiar with the fish skin band but I don't care for the Akubra leather bands. The one on my Cattleman was a faux leather. Felt like vinyl. I usually put a horsehair or real leather band on mine like Tom mentioned. The leather bands are actually fun to make and you can customize them with your initials and other designs. There are several different buckle types too. Below is a link to them. Good luck with Grad School!

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/4490-00.aspx

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1695-00.aspx

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/7304-10.aspx

MothPrey

New in Town
The band on the BP is actually a treated fish skin - Barramundi... best band they have in my humble opinion...

The ones pictured recently in this thread look much nicer than my old 2004-vintage BP Barramundi band (I just looked up the purchase date, i was thinking it was seven years old.. time flies). Mine is and has always been a pretty much uniform dark brown, not much to distinguish it from any other leather band. Congratulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR