Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Fed in a Fedora

Fed in a Fedora Practically Family

High tech long oval vice

Has anyone seen the high tech method used to put a long oval shape on Akubras?

Long Oval Reverse Clamp_800x600.JPG

Fed

2. job

job One Too Many

The original device was on the knee and pulling back.
    If it works then use it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

3. Fed in a Fedora

How long does it take for hats to come from EA to the USA?

Got my shipping notice this morning :D

The package just cleared Melbourne and I was wondering when I should expect it to arrive in the Gulf South. (Or more accurately, when should I plan to take some time off to play with the new toys...)

Fed

4. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Mine have arrived in less than a week, but I'm on the west coast so it might take two or three days beyond that to reach you.

5. Fed in a Fedora

Thanks Zombie!

Looking forward to a pair of new CampDrafts - complete with long oval shape. It has been a long wait for the Silverbelly and I am finally getting impatient.

By the way, what is the hat and color in your photo? Particularly, nice hat!

Fed

6. Rogera

Rogera My Mail is Forwarded Here

It took all of mine 10-12 days to get to West Texas. The time in customs at LAX is why it takes so long.

7. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Thank you! It's an Akubra Federation IV in Tawny Fawn. It's currently my favorite, and my go-to hat on most days.

8. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

Welp, I just lost my Banjo Paterson a couple days ago. Hung it on my bike rack as I put my things into my car at the end of the work day and...well...had driven all the way back to my apartment before I realized I hadn't taken it off that rack.

So, I'm in the market for a new Akubra. Thinking about a lighter-colored one for the summer. The Cattleman in Sand sold by EA is lookin' mighty appealing right about now lol.

9. Rogera

Rogera My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nooooooooooooo! Oh well, at least there is a silver lining to that cloud!

10. Cattleman is a whole lot of brim Alexander.
    Good lid tho...lots of cowboy remarks instead of Indy ones...

11. old-time-stevie

old-time-stevie New in Town

Oh man - major bummer about losing the BP!
    Have you considered a Panama?

12. Neophyte

I haven't, actually. Can a Panama hold up under rainy weather? I was lookin' at Akubras mainly for outdoorsing/inclement weather. Most other times in hot weather I either wear a newsboy or no hat at all.

13. old-time-stevie

old-time-stevie New in Town

No, a Panama won't hold up to much rain. A little is ok but they will lose their shape in a downpour and you will have to reshape it as it dries. An Akubra is great in a downpour as you already know. Where a Panama shines is in the hot sun. By reflecting the sun, providing shade and breathing; it makes me feel much cooler than no hat at all.
    Maybe you need both? Can't have too many hats can we? ;)

14. Neophyte

You, sir, make an excellent point. And welcome to the Lounge! Hope you enjoy your stay.

15. Crazy Dave

Crazy Dave Familiar Face

My Sombrero got here. This is not a subtle hat. It is wild. Something like the deranged mutant wide-brim offspring of a top hat, a bowler, and a wallaby. The crown is enormous, gave it a tugboat crease to bring it down a little. Still tugboat-sized. I love it.

Pics included.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nathaniel Finley likes this.
  16. ManofKent

ManofKent My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's a lot of hat for the money :) Great fun too.

17. Brian Niebuhr

Brian Niebuhr One of the Regulars

Looks great Crazy Dave! These hats ARE boats! The vent holes in the crown even look like friggin portholes!
    You're a guitar slinger, is this hat gonna see any stage time?

My avitar pic is me with my well loved '52 reissue tele and an old 10x Stetson. I forgot I even had an avitar pic, they don't show on my crappy phone internet.

18. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

The sombrero is huge :)
    Hmmine looks to have a lower crown. Let me check...

19. Neophyte

Awesome lid, Crazy Dave. I'm been considering a Sombrero for a while, but the only good pics I could find of it were Bush Tucker Man pics. Looks great!

Since I lost my Banjo Paterson last week, I've been looking around thinking about what Akubra to buy next. I had been considering the Cattleman in Fawn, but had a hard time conceptualizing the shape and brim width and wondering if it were right for me. When lo and behold who do I meet this morning but a man working in the same building with a Cattleman in Fawn. I was shocked at the coincidence. He was shocked to meet someone else who knew what Akubra was lol. That sold it, though. My next hat's gonna be a Cattleman, just gotta agonize over the color choices and whether to order from DM or EA, all that jazz.

20. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

My Sombrero.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]